Engine Code Memory Fails Smog test! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Code Memory Fails Smog test!

slsnut

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB Explorer 4x4
Boy, did I think I was clever, unhook battery to extinguish check engine light and I'll sail though smog...Right! Well Can't say I wasn't warned by BB. Anyway, my 97 Ranger passed every test but the OBC told the smog machine that I had uncleared codes. Went to A/Z and they have discontinued their code checking poilicy..Now what?
I learned that I have to drive the vehicle at least 60 miles before the OBC casn give the system another clean bill of health.
I do have an engine miss while under load i.e. accelerating on the freeway/going up hills which I have taken to be spark related (wires/plugs etc).
Help! Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Autozone, kragen, and others still check codes down here....You must have a CEL light on or they won't check it...

...Get your codes read and bring the list of codes back here...:biggthump

...When was the last time you replaced your plugs and wires???

Engine Code Memeory Fails Smog test!

No Light's not on (I put it out by disconnecting the battery), and yes they don't do it anymore here in Ventura, Ca. They want you to buy their unit for $60 (same for Kragen, Pep Boys) now...I'm buying one on Ebay.
Anyway, I bought this 97 Ranger S/C/ 4L 2 weeks ago with 70K on it for $3500. Has every option (even a SnugTop Tonneau) except for the factory D/J. Has the Ford Edge rims with new tires. In really good condition. Smoke free, no rips or tears, excellent paint (red) needs a buff and will look new
Has 3 problems;
1:Heater core leak-I bought a new one and will pull the dash with a buddy soon (picked up the threads in this forum to do it and just bought the factory manuals on Ebay for $30 last week)
2: Under load engine miss I mentioned above, Have not replaced wires or plugs.
3: Cracked 3/8 rubber elbow on pollution control line next to the battery. I found this line completely off of the barb it goes on, repaired it then took it for the smog test which it subsequently failed for codes still in OBC memory not cleared. Passed all other parameters of test.
At this point I do not know if the OBC codes are for the engine miss or for the mixture dilution due to the vacuum leak.
Any Ideas now?

...The code would narrow it down...;)

...Is the elbow going to the charcoal cannister??? You will find a diagrahm here...
Dead Link Removed

...I had a similar problem and mine was both the Solenoid purge valve and the charcoal cannister...It would just be a guess without the codes...:dunno:

Codes

Thanx Tbars,
It connects a vacuum solenoid to a large rectangular box bolted just below the battery cradle. probably the cannister...

Can't find it in your link...

I'll call Kragen here.

...It can be found in the first post of that thread, bottom diagrahm...;)

Codes

Ahh =see it now, my mistake. And that is the elbow-did you issue result in an engine code (172/174)? Calling Kragen...

...Nope...Those codes are for the O2 sensors and the problem usually lies ahead of them...When one item faults it makes the others swap to different modes and the o2 sensors are the last to report...

...I'm not saying you don't have a bad o2 sensor, it's just being based on a guess from you...:dunno:

Codes

FYI None of the Kragen AP stores around here loan the code checker out...they used to 2 years ago but not now. I think AAmco Transmission will do it but they aren't open today...
Thanx anyway

Engine light back on

Tbars,
Light back on again after 30 miles after repairing the rubber elbow. Ordered an engine code scanner on ebay on Sat, when I get it I'll post the codes. My manual set should be here soon as well.

Looked under the hood last night with engine under load and saw sparks flying, will replace plugs and wires this fri. I am assuming there are codes that indicate engine miss. Correct?

Code 0136 O2 sensor failure

OK, My scanner arrived and have this code.
Where is the O2 sensor, I know it senses in the exhaust but I need some help finding it on this truck. Also I changed my ignition wires and the truck still has a miss under load. Would the O2 sensor out cause a misfire?

What model scanner did you buy? Keep in mind that the cheap scanners aren't capable of reading every code. Some codes that are manufacturer specific, ABS, SRS, transmission, and some body codes need better scan tools.

Code 0136

No, I just changed the wires and put my foot on the brake and reved the engine to 2K and it started to miss again. I couldn't get a look under the hood at the same time...Needed some help and had no helper.

What I did find really annoyed me. The wire set I got from A/Z has 4 short wires and 2 long ones so one of the old wires on the driver's side I did not change. I called them and they verified that even the Bosch set they sell has the same configuration. When I did have a helper I could see sparks coming from the old wires. The ones that go across the engine to the driver side and on some of the passenger side wires. The truck has the double plat Autolites and they look brand new.

BTW I cleared the 0136 code.

Read the links, thank you. Will check if the 0136 comes back. If it doesn't I'm taking it back to smog and then try and figure out the miss, hell I may not have needed the wires and I didn't even get a complete set!

...First, congrats on the new scanner...:biggthump

...Did you find where the sparks were coming from???...and don't touch your O2 sensors yet, it may be something else...

...Edit:...Read this first....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=997137&postcount=2

...Then read this...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357927&postcount=6

..then read this from post #6 down...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135600&highlight=Code+136

Ok, here's what I know... First read the previous post.

Cleared the 0136, drove it 5 miles now reading Zero Faults with too lean on both banks 171/174 pending, no Check Engine Light yet. How do I interpret?

....This is a place to start for the codes 171/174

A) Not the o2 sensors

1) Probably Vacuum leak
2) Clean the MAF
3) EGR tube leak
4) Plugs and wires

OR 5) Intake manifold gaskets..

MAF? Mass Air Handler? (the air handler upstream of the plastic intake plenum?)

Also if there are no faults, and these codes are just pending any chance it will pass smog? It only failed due to stored codes (i guess it was the 0136 now cleared) causing a fault.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Click the "How to" in my signature and you will find a link on how to clean a MAF with pics...

...If you don't have any codes, why not go to a smog station that has pass or free retest, and see if your truck is ready???

Back