Engine Code Memory Fails Smog test! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Code Memory Fails Smog test!

I used to sell cars and trucks on the side for years, I got a buddy who runs a smog station, he never charges me until I pass anyway. He tell me that if codes are pending the California smog machine will pick it up and fail the car...

Still have that engine miss after changing the wires...will see if I can see the sparks flying tonight. I have read that the intake gasket hardens up it will leak and lean out the mixture. This truck sat a bunch before I got it a few weeks back. Only 25 K miles were put on it in since 2001 so I'm thinking the gasket might be pretty stiff. Any sense in changing or at least looking at it?

I'll look at cleaning the MAF-wish those manuals i ordered would get here...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...If the only problem was a code, which you fixed and cleared, I would take it to your buddy and check it to see if it will pass...You said it didn't pass due to a code and now the code is not coming back, correct???

....I would probably change the plugs, as a bad wire could have fouled a plug...:dunno:...The smog test is based on how well your vehicle burns it's fuel so tuneup is always important...

...I don't think you've seen this...This is a sticky in the California section and it has some useful tips for pre smog in the first post...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219411

After the 0136 cleared, I drove it and now i have 171/174 "pending". My buddy tells me that if they are pending it won't pass. My scanner did not give me the "NO Codes" message yet...

Oh and I did see the smog stuff earlier thank you, went through the evap with my son's 88 Accord...

...If the only problem was a code, which you fixed and cleared, I would take it to your buddy and check it to see if it will pass...You said it didn't pass due to a code and now the code is not coming back, correct???

....I would probably change the plugs, as a bad wire could have fouled a plug...:dunno:...The smog test is based on how well your vehicle burns it's fuel so tuneup is always important...

...I don't think you've seen this...This is a sticky in the California section and it has some useful tips for pre smog in the first post...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219411

Tbars,
Manuals arrived, have the MAF out, it looks like it just came out of the box, what should I spray on the wires to clean them? Can't imagine they have anything on them this thing looks so clean...I do understand they may still have some residue.

Success!

Cleaned MAF with electrical contact cleaner I have from doing circuitry work, air dried it with canned air used for camera dust cleaning. Cleared codes, took it for a drive-rescanned and got the "NO Codes" message. Not sure if it also cleared up the miss under load, will keep this foum aprised.

Tbars, would like to buy you a Negra Modelo! Thanks for the guidance here.
SLSNUT

...Your welcome but don't thank me yet....Sometimes that 171/174 will show back up if it is something other than MAF...

..But on the good side, you are good to go for your smog...:biggthump

Engine misfire under load

OK, yesterday we took it for a 110 mile round trip to LA, had severe misfire under load (up hills). Scanned when I got home, and I have no codes. So I started pulling all the plugs, the double plats looked new except cyl #4 (far fwd Driver side). It appears to be moisture fouled and shows signs of corrosion. Hmmm, my coolant reservoir is also empty and I know I refilled when I changed it last week.
I thought I read a thread about unexplained coolant loss. Guess I'll check it out. I have pics of the plugs but don't know how to post them...
This things getting to be a PITA!

Back