Engine Compatibilites | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Compatibilites

Maverick0007

Reaction score
I currently have a 1992 4WD Explorer 4.0L, but of course it has the rusted out really bad, I am looking at getting a 1993 or 1994 that has a motor that is shot so I can get it real cheap. My engine in my 1992 is brand new, will it work with a 93 or 94?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you can use a 4.0 from a 91-94 explorer without making any changes.

You "might" have a change or two since the '92 doesn't have EGR or a Cam sensor but a '94 does (not sure about a '93), but those are things you could save from the blown motor and move to your motor..

~Mark

i forgot about the cam sensor, 91-92 dont have a cam sensor just 93 and up, alot of explorers have an egr valve 91 and up because ford had to put them on vehicles sold in some states where emission laws are strict.

93 CA vehicles have a Cam sensor
93 has no EGR
94+ has EGR and Cam sensor

91-92 have a single 02 sensor and a MAP sensor

You can use any 91-2001 4.0L OHV long block in your 92, you just have to swap parts from your 92 to the new block (intakes, sensors, accessories)
93+ have stronger heads and the heads were again improved in 95
97+ have an 8 bolt crank, 91-96 have 5 (no big deal parts are cheap)

I would find the latest model lowest mile OHV 4.0L I can with a warranty, park it next to your 92 block and swap everything over, then drop it in. I have done this several times with excellent results

Ooops sorry I thought you were saying you wanted to get a 93-94 engine and put it into your 92. Now I see you want to keep your 92 OHV 4.0L and put it into a 93-94 truck, no problem!!

It will work 100%, you will need some parts from the 93 or 94 trucks engine, so make sure you get one with an engine

Did Ford have different 4.0 OHV's for different vehicles between 91 and 01, or are they all identical? Which late model vehicles had the 4.0 OHV? As in, is the OHV from a 91 Ranger the same as an 01 Explorer (or whatever has the OHV), with the exception of the points mentioned above?

I keep thinking about the 4.0 build thread stickied at the top... I wouldn't mind getting one myself out of a late model and building it in a garage, then swapping it in... Which, by the way, brings me to another point: Will the transmissions interchange between years, or does the tranny have to be mated to an engine of the same year? If the tranny has to be matched to the engine, how difficult is it to connect the transfer case, or if it has to be exchanged as well, how hard is it to connect the driveshafts?

eeek ok
Ranger, Explorer, Aerostar 4.0L OHV (pushrod) is basically the same block 1991-2001
There were small internal changes, especially to the heads
The oil pans and pickup is different 95+ because the Explorer had IFS (Gen II)
The Ranger didnt get IFS until 98
I am not sure about the Aerostar oil pan setup

The intakes are aluminum 91-94 and pretty much similar
the plastic intakes 95+ change a few times
the fuel system went from a return style fuel regulator to a non return style system in 98 I believe

the 97+ OHV block has an 8 bolt pattern on the crankshaft (flywheel/flexplate) but the parts are interchangeable

Other then that the OHV 4.0L remained basically the same from 1989 (I believe some 89 rangers had a 4.0L, maybe 90 was the first year) to 2001

The transmissions are a whole different thread, the automatics are computer controlled and the computers change basically as follows:
91-92 simlar (single 02 sensor, MAP sensor, EGR)
93 no egr (CA = cam sensor)
94 egr and cam sensor
95 odd ball computer, EEC_IV computer in a OBD-II truck
96-97 similar (first year OBD-II)
98-2001 similar

the 5 speeds will pretty much interchange, but you can run into problems with slave cylinders, speed sensors, and more

Back