Engine Conversions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Conversions

Paco

Reaction score
I am thinking about swapping in a 302 or a 351. I have a 1998 Single Cam. Here are some questions i have.

1.How much is the actual engine (302 AND 351)?

2. How much is the install?

3. I have heard of kits to make the swap easier,
who makes them, what are their websites, and how much are they?

4. What other mods would i need if i did do a swap and how much would they be plus installation?

5. If i bought a cat-back system now, will it be allright if i do the swap?

6. Can i supercharge a swap?

thank you,
Travis

P.S. I have a WHOLE lot of money. And i dont know too much about mechancis yet.

I would be ready to spend about 5-6 thousand dollars. Gofast may be able to help you out as far as whats involved since he is doing this as we type.

Searching would probably be ur best bet. There are a ton of old threads about this. Also u can go to http://www.rangerpowersports.com and go to the 5.0 swap part of the website. I know it is about rangers, but the front end of rangers are very similar if not identical to our explorers.

-Chav

Originally posted by Paco
I am thinking about swapping in a 302 or a 351. I have a 1998 Single Cam. Here are some questions i have.

1.How much is the actual engine (302 AND 351)?

2. How much is the install?

3. I have heard of kits to make the swap easier,
who makes them, what are their websites, and how much are they?

4. What other mods would i need if i did do a swap and how much would they be plus installation?

5. If i bought a cat-back system now, will it be allright if i do the swap?

6. Can i supercharge a swap?

P.S. I have a WHOLE lot of money. And i dont know too much about mechancis yet.

Answers
1) 302's run $1500 and up depending on "How Custom" you go on the internals. Cams Heads etc. Plus you need to add money for Fuel Injection stuff. Total package is usually 2500 to 3K. 351's are to big physically and add more weight. You have to worry about Brake system and A/C stuff with a 351. You can do it, but the work is more intense and not sure the rewards are there.

2)Installs will run $1500 to $2500 depending on how much they have to do that is custom.

3)Yes, there are Kit's, but I did not find any that made it easier. They were good stuff, but I found that I could do a lot of it cheaper. I'm piecing mine togather.

4) Tranny mods. If your auto then I would suggest an AOD using Advance Adapters Kit so you can use the existing Transfer Case. On the manual they have a different kit to mount it to the 302. If your 2WD then it would be much easier.

5) Maybe on the cat-back system. However the 302 will flow more air so I would wait if your really going for the swap and just do custom duals at that point.

6) Yes you can! I plan on a Turbo eventually. I just like'em

7) Money? What's that? Anyway if you have the money thier are shops that will do the whole thing as a turn-key deal. But it will cost 5 or 6 thousands dollars easy for everything. The shop I'm using is wanting to start doing this for other explorers, so if he's good I'll advertise a little for him.

Bottom Line, Shop around. Read my 302 conversion thread and the links that have been suggested in there. I have recieved a lot of e-mails about this and will try to put a summary togather when this project wraps up. ( With Pictures )

Good Luck and have fun.

Back