• Register Today It's free!

engine issues

djbiker27

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 Ranger P.O.S.
well i have a 1993 4x4 and that poor engine has 179,300 miles on it, so it's bound to have some issues.

1) some times when im on the throttle it makes a chirping noise that doesn't sound like it's coming from the belt, but closer to the firewall and i don't know what it is. a few times at idle it has done it and it is very loud and literally sounds like a bird chirping in my engine bay. i'm not sure what it is but i would like to know. it seems to do it more when it's cold also.

2) i believe i have a bad exhaust valve because i can hear a constant noise at idle, like the exhaust valve sticking too long or something. it's not a pinging, but the sound of the exhaust getting out when it really shouldnt be. a constant exhaust puffing noise

3) it sounds like a diesel! this could be due to the valves or something more serious i really hope not. my bro said when we were "testing our trucks acceleration" against each other, that mine sounded like a diesel. i was just wondering what else could be causing this. (oh yeah and i beat him even though he has the same year as mine but with only 90k miles, mine has lower gearing and he has bigger tires so hah!)

but i love my truck i want it to go to at least 200k. it hasnt had serious problems just minor stuff that doesnt affect whether it will run or not (like the electronic 4x4 doesn't work, driver side rear window doesnt roll down, rear window wiper motor had a seizure and doesn't work anymore, etc.). when the engine goes i'll replace it with a rebuilt 4.0. i don't ever want to get rid of this beast. it's my first car!

so if you have any idea of what could be making those noises that would be great. thanks

check inside the engine bay while some1 gives it a little acceleration to find the noise. Sometimes a exhaust leak can sound like a slight chirping then when you give it more throttle it gets louder. Good luck, try this first b4 spending loads of $$$....... :)

'94 Limited Edition, 4.0L, automatic {bone stock}

Back