Clicking/Ticking noise from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking/Ticking noise from engine

smitty13

Reaction score
City, State
B-ham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Within the first 1000 miles I've put on my new 98 explorer a loud clicking noise has developed. It sounds like it's coming from the engine on the driver's side. It only occurs during acceleration when the car is moving. It doesn't occur when the car is given gas in nuetral. Also the check engine light came on with this noise (i believe). It is a constant clicking noise that clicks faster with more RPM.

AND, after flooring the car to get on the freeway the other day, the click got ALOT louder.

Any ideas? Or should I just take it in...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CV/half-shaft is probably going kaput. Either that or the front driveshaft.

Have the code run at a local autoparts store. Most do it for free. My guess would be a bad DPFE or EGR, or leaks in the hoses that connect the two. You don't mention which engine you have. If it's the 5.0 V8, they are prone to exhaust manifold leaks, the symptom of which is loud ticking....

Sounds like a manifold/egr leak since your pulling codes and since it is RPM dependent. Take it to to an exhaust shop and have them check it.

Sorry, it's just a standard V6, 4wd, 4 door 98.

Back