engine misfire

scottnpeter

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Part, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Eddie Bauer
ok first off i have a 2000 explorer 5.0 v8 with 145,000 miles
well about a month ago i pretty much ran the car out of gas. ever since i have had misfire problems. i ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it, replaced the pcv valve, fuel filter, and spark plugs. The problem is still occuring. please help me this is getting very annoyinng!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sound like your timming is off try going to advanced auto and have them reset your computer... it just might fix the problem....possible bad ground try cleaning ground connections starting at the bat. then fallow the neg bat cable and where ever it makes contact to sumthing remove it clean the connections with 100 or 80 grit sand paper-or-wire brush then re-connect fallow till you get to the end of the cable.....while your cleaning the cables it should reset the computer as well but try going to auto zone or advanced first.....thats what i would do

wow that totallly helped out, like a lot!!!!! thanks a lot man. It didnt completely solve the problem but it got all the cylinders to stop misfiring except for cylinder 4. After replacing all spark plug wires the car runs like new.

thanks a lot!!!!:D

any time yo glade i could help!:)

I'm still trying to figure out how his timing was off and cured by Autozone! :D

I'm still trying to figure out how his timing was off and cured by Autozone! :D

we don't know if he went yo auto zone or if he cleaned the ground wire....my girlfriend ran her 1999 ford ranger outta gas the one night and ran like **** for the next week back firing bucking n puffing black smoke so i cleaned the ground wire that stopped the bucking and black smoke....but it still back fired so i took it to auto zone to have them clear the codes low and behold she ran fine after that.....My father(40+ years mechanic) said because when you run out of gas and it starts the "putting out"(for lack of a better explanation) one of the first things the computer does is mess with the timing and when the truck shut off its possible that the computer saved the last timing setting it was trying to run at. then when he tryed to start it again the computer was trying to run with the timing off for the air fuel mixture.... and will either "missfire" or "stall out"....clearing the computer will fix this problem because it reset the computers settings and the computer starts from scratch so to speak there for fixing the problem....its a fluke doesn't happen a lot...

Just a quick update. Just having autozone reset only fixed the problem for about two hours. shortly after the engine missfiring issue occured again. After much work i replaced the spark plug wires and that fixed all the problems. Shes been running great since.

Back