Engine miss firing?? Sputtering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine miss firing?? Sputtering

Mendoza1113

Reaction score
About a week ago i noticed my engine just started sputtering. Instead of a nice smooth engine sound it sounds like it is hickuping over and over agian. When i get going 55 down the road it vibrates and i can hear it miss firing. At least thats what i think it is. Any ideas??? I think i may have a bad spark plug.. I tried to change them myself only got the drivers side off. Any input would help me out so much.. Oh by the way i got a 91 xlt v6 explorer thanks

It could be one simple thing...or a bunch of things. First, check all the simple stuff, like your plugs, wires, and connections to the coil pack. If its not that, it could be your fuel pressure regulator (The same thing happened to my brother's 91 awhile back, it turned out to be the FPR.) Last week I installed a body lift on my 92, and in the process of jacking the body up, i pulled a vacuum hose out of place....the truck had the hiccups, like you said. It took about 5 minutes to find and 10 seconds to plug back in. So check all your vac hoses!

Back