• Register Today It's free!

ENGINE OIL

-=DaemoN=-

Reaction score
City, State
The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
Rigless!
I was wondering, for anybody that lives in a hot climate like ARIZONA, are you using just the regular 10-30 grade oil or are you using a higher grade? I'm about to need an oil change and a friend suggested I should use 20-50 because of ARIZONA's hot climate.

------------------
'92 Explorer XLT 4X4 4D
K&N Filter/drilled airbox:.
Superchip:.
Bosche P+4. Splitfire Twin-core wires:.
more to come... when money tree blossoms! ;-)
*NSFR671*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We all get the bug to tinker with stuff, like oil grades.

Ford says to use 5w-30. The question, then, before you have reason to go against their suggestion, is why change that? They probably spent a couple of million $$$ to figure that out.

I drove an aircooled 1977 Kawasaki 1000cc motorcycle someting like 80k miles on 20w-50 Castrol: trouble free. This was through road and trail conditions involving extreme concerns that will never be an issue in an auto application. By the way, that included operation through Arizona while driving in 115-120+ degree weather on that aircooled engine.

This is personal opinion, but I would be very reticent to bet my own engine on my friend's suggestion to use the same oil that worked for my aircooled engine twenty years ago.

To logically go against Ford's suggested oil weights you need to prove that you have an alternate appplication that they didn't allow for. In other words, that your application is different from the other tens of thousands of Fords they sold in Arizona.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

If you are concerned about heat, a high quality synthetic motor oil is a good option. Typically, they are less volatile and don't break down like a petroleum oil will under extreme conditions. If you want the best, check out AMSOIL using the link to my home page.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires
Info and Ordering for AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants - Dead Link Removed

There is a common missconception that oil itself breaks down. Short of burning it, oil NEVER looses its lubercating abilities. However it does become contaminated with dirt and other foreign products that enter the engine and the additives put in it by the manufacturer will break bown over time. The oil will become dirty far before it will start to berak down. This is why we change (or are recomended to) your oil.
As for what grade to run, always ues manufactures's guide line.

mrboyle, You are correct about oil not losing its lubricating properties. Contamination is the enemy. When I mentioned "break down", this is what I was implying. Thank you for the clarification. Synthetics are almost 100% pure and handle the byproducts of combustion a lot more efficiently than conventional motor oils.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

I don't necessarily agree with the last 2 posts about oil NOT breaking down.

Contamination is the first worst enemy of oil. I do agree with that.

Oil does break down. i.e. In a motorcycle, the transmission is also lubricated by the oil and the transmission grears do "shear" the oil into breaking down the long chain molecules and becoming a lower viscosity. This also happens in cars/trucks but to a lesser degree/rate than on a motorcycle.

I believe that the oil analysis thread that is ongoing references a TBN if memory serves me correctly. If the people that are running the analysis can comment on what exactly the TBN (range 1 to 12 typically and 2 becomming dangerously low) is and what it means I'd appreciate that. I was reading into this category of the lubricity properties of the oil and would like to know if I'm reading into this correctly or not.

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

I would agree with ag explorer on this one,the amsoil products are fantastic,cooler running,more miles,longer interval.

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins,Eaton posi rear
Amsoil syn and filters
jacobs ignition & wires
kenwood head & changer
Q-logic sub,remote start

DCider,

TBN stands for Total Base Number. This component of motor oil is responsible for protecting against acid formation. As this number decreases, the ability of the additive package to protect against acid damage decreases. Oil analysis is the best way to determine the oil's performance.

When we speak of an oil "breaking down", we are referring on the oil losing its lubricity. If the viscocity increases, it does not mean the oil is losing it lubricity. It's just becoming thicker. An engine has never failed because the oil did not lubricate. It failed due to dirt and contamination.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

I was referring to the "lubricity" quality of the oil when I was mentioned that oil does "break down". The long chain molecules of the oil get sheared and become shorter and shorter. The oil losses its ability to keep metals apart that should be apart.

Yes, engines do fail due to oil break down. It is not the most common cause of failure and probably not in the top 10 or even top 25. Using too light an oil over and extended period of time can cause the engine to fail when the rings are not seperated from the cylinder and score the walls and lose compression to the point that there is no power.

Additives in the oil sacrifice themselves and leave deposites at local hot spots. This leads to excessive wear on those parts. This happens on cylinder walls (scoring), main bearings (galling) and other high load areas.

The are a few motorcycle rags that explain the dangers of the new grades of oils in motorcycles. Oil replacement intervals have been increased due to EPA regs (7500 miles) to reduce the "polution" of vehicles. "Polution" in this case does not mean what comes out the tailpipe! Polution meaning other "hazardous" materials that the vehicle consumes.

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

Thank You ALL for your replies.

------------------
'92 Explorer XLT
4.0L EFI
4x4 4D
[NSFR671]

Back