• Register Today It's free!

engine running terrible

Timbo83

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer EB
Hi everyone I need some help. I have a 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer with a 5.0 engine. its running terrible last night after changing spark plugs I took for a short 10 minute drive I came home to my entire exhaust system glowing red hot. from the engine to the Muffler. after the muffler no glow so I cut the pipe this morning after muffler before resonator in tail pipe section but the problem still remains and my engine is still running like crap. Please Help its my only vehicle and I don't have a lot of money

All you did was change plugs, and now it runs like crap. How did it run before the new plugs?

1. Make sure your plug wires are on the right cylinders. Most likely problem.

2. Make sure the wires are seated on the plugs properly. They are very tight sometimes.

3. Make sure you put the right plugs in, and gapped them correctly.

What possessed you to cut your exhaust pipe?

As others have suggested, recheck the firing order.

A misfire condition which leaves unburned fuel in the exhaust will cause the catalytic converters to glow red hot. You kinda jumped the gun a bit. If you cut the tubes ahead of the 02 sensors, you might have induced a 2nd problem.

If the engine is running real rough, surely the check engine light is illuminated. Have the codes scanned before attempting any other repairs. These codes will help narrow down the problem.

Thread moved to the stock 2nd generation sub forum for more views .

Back