engine swap 02 in a 99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap 02 in a 99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer sport sohc 99
last night my 99 sport sohc finally died. it starts but cuts out. timing chains are really loud now and wont rev past 3000 rpm even in neutral. I was wondering if I could use an 02 sohc from a ranger or another ex. if so I heard you need to change valve covers fuel rails and manifolds. I wanna do it before my winter break is done before I head back to school. a list would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I reused my valve cover and intake gaskets but you are taking a chance. Its easier to get the block in if you leave them off anyway so you can always swap them if you change your mind.

Take it down to valve covers and oil pan. Pull the valve covers to inspect the cassettes. Reinstall, and swap everything else over.

Dumb question, will this swap work the other way? I have a 1997 SOHC 4 door, runs awesome, hit in the side and I have a 04 xlt 4 door that the chains are about to come through the hood, same deal as above?

thanks

Yeah, they are all compatible. Problem is ford made supposed "upgrades" to the cassettes in 02. If you install your 97 you will still have the crap cassettes.

Yeah, they are all compatible. Problem is ford made supposed "upgrades" to the cassettes in 02. If you install your 97 you will still have the crap cassettes.

even if its a 2 year old for reman?

I would hope if they re-manufactured the engine they would upgrade the cassettes but I don't know for sure if they did it or not.

I just swapped my engine to an 08 ranger. all the valve covers manifolds and intake were already changed. it was in a 99 explorer. I got a good deal on the engine. but I have a few questions. I forgot how the starter wires went in. I went to start it up and they were melting on the manifold. another thing. the engine stalls out after I give it a little gas. any ideas? when I put the pedal to the floor it takes a while to get up to 4000 rpm and wont go passed that.

Back