• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap Out

campbell2293

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have been advised that I need an engine transplant for my '94 Explorer XLT. The truck has been parked for over 4 months. Would love to get it up and running, but it is important to me that I get a good used engine in there for cheap. The truck has a refurbished transmission installed 11/13, new radiator, hoses, & thermostat as of 01/14, and new water pump as of 01/13.

Does anyone have some advice with engine replacements? Are there variations among these Cologne V6's, based on year or transmission? Is there a better engine that would be compatible with my truck?

Is there anyone in Atlanta who can recommend a trustworthy shop to do the transplant?

I have browsed craigslist and come up with a couple options for (what seem to be) good used 4.0 engines at $400.

I did a engine swap back in 97. I swapped in a 95 motor into my 91. Back then finding wrecked 2nd gen with low mileage wasn't to hard to find. Now I don't know where your going to find a used 4.0 OHV motor with low miles or be any better then yours. Are sure you need to replace the motor maybe you just need rebuilt heads. What I did was remove the topend off the 95 the manifolds and used my manifolds off my 91

The diagnosis I received from the mechanic who replaced the radiator was a blown head gasket. Back in January we had some single digit cold temperatures. One night I came home from work and noticed some slight smoking out of the radiator. Upon inspection I found the coolant reservoir bone dry with dark brown sludge deposits. The radiator was also dry. My fault, I know, for letting it run dry. Brought it to a garage to replace the radiator. Once we filled it up and got it running, there was water dripping out of the exhaust and chemicals leaking under the engine like mad. Added some leak-stop but it did not let up.

My understanding is that replacing the engine altogether won't cost much more than rebuilding the heads, due to the intensive labor involved in a rebuild project. The engine in there now has 235,x.. miles on it. A used engine with under 200K may be the best solution.

I have found two on craigslist:

"1989 ford 4.0 engine with 156k runs great and no smoke" priced at $400

and this one: http://nwga.craigslist.org/cto/4469110288.html
"4.0L fuel injected V-6 engine from a Ford Explorer" he says there is only "about 100,000 miles on engine".

I like the second engine, provided it is compatible with my truck, and really does have low miles on it as he claims (how can I verify this?).

I would hold out for one that is in a truck with a blown trans but the engine can still be run, and the title can confirm mileage.

At least this way you can here it run, and make an assessment on how well maintained the vehicle is in general.

You should be able to find an Ex for $500-600 with a blown trans.

Then you can part out the rest to recoup some of your install costs.

And it will come with a handy rolling storage case!

Back