engine swap v6 to v8 2013 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap v6 to v8 2013

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s *possible* but there wasn’t a V8 for that year range, so you’d have a considerable amount of custom parts and wiring to figure out and complete.

For your typical weekend mechanic this will be way too much of a job.

You are converting a stock transverse mounted engine to a longitudinally mounted engine. This would probably require a huge amount of structural modifications to make this work. Maybe the 3.4L V8 from a Taurus SHO would fit easier but then you won't see any more hp than you would from the stock 3.5L engine. Also, there could be issues in getting the vehicle street legal depending on where you live. Can it be done? Yes, with enough time and money.

Is it possible to put v8 into 2013 xlt ?
I don´t think it´s possible, just get a Explorer Sport. The amount of work and money involved it´s just not worth it. You also have to add a transmission, 2011-2019 explorer have a transaxle.

Yes I can swap a 5.0 in it and convert it to rear wheel drive. Approximately $35k will get it done.

Coyote 5.0 will cost you $5k minimum for a good one, you want a 2018+ it will be $10k. Then $1500-2k for a 6r80 and another $2k for the computer and wiring. $2k for custom exhaust, $3-$5k to get a rear end setup to put the power down to the ground (awd rear won't handle it). Fab up engine mounts, trans mount / crossmember and install it and wire it all up $10k. Then all the little stuff adds up like a/c, driveshaft ect.....Add that up and we are close to the $35k I quoted. Does it make sense, nope / least not to me.

Sounds like a great way to have a 45k custom truck that would probably get eaten alive by stock vehicles with 5k into them.

Sounds like a great way to have a 45k custom truck that would probably get eaten alive by stock vehicles with 5k into them.
Haha, but a Twin Turbo Coyote swapped Explorer would still be pretty damn cool...cost aside.

The 7.3L is supposed to be bolt in for Mod motors.
445 CID Texas sized!
Go big or go home!

Is it possible to put v8 into 2013 xlt ?
Depends "WHY" you wanna do that...
1) If it's a small budget issue and cannot upgrade to a Sport Explorer, then it's a bad idea. Because it will come out way more than you bargained for.
2) If it's a just for the heck of it, then yes, anything is possible.
For example here is a guy putting Cummins into Mustang: YouTube/Mustang+Cummins

Honestly I think Expedition would be a great donor for your project. But a lot of modifications for a bigger engine, especially that big. Need to have a real dedication and commitment, but good luck.

The 7.3L is supposed to be bolt in for Mod motors.
445 CID Texas sized!
Go big or go home!
rumor is either that Godzilla motor or the Predator is going in the new Raptor R....we'll see...

1) If it's a small budget issue and cannot upgrade to a Sport Explorer, then it's a bad idea. Because it will come out way more than you bargained for.

Honestly I think Expedition would be a great donor for your project. But a lot of modifications for a bigger engine, especially that big. Need to have a real dedication and commitment, but good luck.
And this guy is putting an LS into a Fusion:

RichRebuilds@YouTube is putting V8 into a Tesla.
71lD-SprPeL._SL1500_.jpg

😂😂😂

Reminds me of the guy putting a V12 in a Miata...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The old-school, build-your-own-hot-rod way is the easiest way for the DIY builder. Take your pick of any totaled-body F150 or Expy you can get your hands on and narrow/shorten the frame to fit and lift all the parts and wiring you need from the wreck. When the frame is modified to fit tow it to your favorite frame shop and have them make it straight. Then trim the suspension off and the bottom of the Explorer to match and mount it just like any body/frame vehicle. The VIN stays with the body and if you live where the inspectors look down on the result, be prepared by learning and following their rules before you start. I live where the are no emissions or yearly safety inspections so it would be super easy here.

Back