Engine turns over but does not fire. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine turns over but does not fire.

dollarbill

Reaction score
City, State
Thomson, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
my 98 explorer has got me stumped, which is not very hard to do. when i turn the key, i hear the fuel-pump start up, and the motor turns over but does not fire. i had a buddy of mine run a diagnostic test and it came back something about auto theft disabled...i am far from a mechanic and know little about the motor or electronics of my car. i have asked around to people who know about this kinda stuff, but i am yet to find a solution. one person said its the micro chip in my key; i tried my spare key and it doesnt work either. when i insert my key into the ignition, and turn it over (without cranking) the theft light goes off after about 3 seconds. in this case i was told it was not the key. i then replaced the coil pack, still didnt work. im just trying to think of things to try without paying a dealer to fix it...keep in mind i am not anywhere close to being a mechanic...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! -$bill

:mad:

Do a search for PATS. You will find your answers.

Back