Engine Won't Start, Fuel Pump Relay? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Won't Start, Fuel Pump Relay?

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
I tried posting this in Explorer 911!, but was not allowed access? Maybe a Mod. can check if I'm up to date on my Elite dues?

Here's my problem: Truck won't run/start, but turns over fine with tons of batt. life. I had this problem a while back (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185998) and ended up taking it to the shop. They found a corroded relay or solenoid or something. They cleaned it up and off I went. That shop is closed for the weekend, I can't find the paperwork for what exact part it was they cleaned, and I'm supposed to be driving a couple hundred miles next week.

Can anyone tell me where this relay thingy is that tells the fuel pump to send fuel? I want to clean it up again and go buy a new one...but I don't know where it is.:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel pump is not turning on at all. When I turn the key the starter gets power, but that's it. I'll go pull those relay plugs right now. Could there be any other fuel pump electricals lower (toward the tank) that would more easily corrode?

...just remember your relay is in the box...
...i am kind of stumped about your mechanics fix...being electrical it could be about anywhere on the line...you could check at the fuel pump, but if anything is not up to snuff it needs replacing, as cleaning it would be a temporary fix...;)

I know, I was pretty pissed that they just "cleaned" whatever it was that corroded.

I just pulled the entire power distribution box, and every relay and fuse inside it. Everything checks out good as far as corrosion. The underside of my box doesn't have any removable plugs or harnesses...I took it apart as far as I could and it looked like new. Do you know what relay number is the fuel pump?

...as i mentioned before, yours are in the box...i'm not sure which one yours would be ...it should be on the lid or in your owners manual...you will have a fuel pump fuse and a fuel pump relay...the only other connection i know of is at the fuel pump...sorry, thats about all i know on your vehicle...good luck...

...hey, be sure to update us on what you find...:D

...hey, be sure to update us on what you find...:D

Ok, now that it is Monday morning and the shop is open...they say they cleaned the "crank sensor." He said it is an external sensor, so I should be able to replace it myself. I'm going to call around right now to see what price I can get one for...but in the meantime, has anyone replaced one of these?:navajo:

It's probably fixed until it gets dirty again:thumbsup:

it's a trigger sensor. if it works now-it works.

However-you might want to make sure your auto parts store has one in stock, or, you might go to the junk yard and swipe a couple. It's not an "easy " part to change, but you'll have it finished in an hour I'll bet.

Usually a sensor like this either works or doesn't work, the most common failure is oil-corrosion buildup over the magnetic sensor part-
cleaning this will fix it. IMHO

It would be considered normal for this to get dirty-
it's right near the crank pulley, in fact it is the timing pointer assembly!!

Just got done calling around...the best deal in town is at NAPA @ $23.89, but no one can get it to me until tomorrow...so looks like I'm stuck with a dead truck for another day.

Jtsmith, do I have to pull the crank pully off to replace this thing? What's the easiest way of going about it?

I don't think so. I'm pretty certain it is retained with 2- 8mm screws.

Look for a wiring harness and plug at about 10 oclock at the rear of the crank pulley

Well, I got impatient, so I called the local Ford dealer and they can have a new sensor here in a few hours...for an extra $10. From what I can see looking in my engine bay, the hardest part should be getting to the sensor. Would it be better to pull the intake tubing and try to fit my arm down there, or to pull my brush/skid plate and come in from the underside?:navajo:

Alright, after paying WAY too much for a little piece of plastic (Ford Part #DY-1061), I crawled under my truck and painstakingly replaced the "Crank Position Sensor" (not to be confused with the "crank angle sensor"). See the below pictures of sensor and location as viewed from below:
2evdxyv.jpg

2rfwsxs.jpg

My utmost appriciation goes out to you guys for helping me; I don't know what I would do without this forum! I still don't really understand how the crank sensor causes the truck to not start, but at least everything runs again!:navajo:

...congrats on doing the job yourself...:thumbsup:

...now the big question, does the old one look like it had previously been cleaned...:scratch:

...congrats on doing the job yourself...:thumbsup:

...now the big question, does the old one look like it had previously been cleaned...:scratch:

Lol, that's why I took the comparison picture. The old sensor looked like it hadn't ever been removed (no tool marks, still retained the "C" clip). The contact points on both the wire harness and the old sensor were not at all corroded...maybe something worked its way inside the sealed internals? Most likely it was re-used from the truck's origional '97 engine, which I hydrolocked (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155965).:navajo:

Good Job!
That sensor is the spark timing trigger-without the signal from it you get no spark.

Ahhhh....thank you wise one :D I might pick up another one of these as a back-up and stash it somewhere clean:navajo: It would suck to be out in the desert and unable to start.

No spark/No fuel pump

I tryed the inertia switch,works fine. Fuses and relays are clean and function good.PCM maybe?Im going to test and clean both crank and cam sensors tomorrow maybe i will have luck. Thanks for help. I will let you guys know as soon as i find out.

I tryed the inertia switch,works fine. Fuses and relays are clean and function good.PCM maybe?Im going to test and clean both crank and cam sensors tomorrow maybe i will have luck. Thanks for help. I will let you guys know as soon as i find out.

(Kolstee69 is refering to another thread located at: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209676) You might try getting help from Jtsmith...he seems to be well versed in starting issues.:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh....thank you wise one :D I might pick up another one of these as a back-up and stash it somewhere clean:navajo: It would suck to be out in the desert and unable to start.

Pay attention close to your Check Engine Light when you have a no start situation. That is my first point of troubleshooting on a crank-no start...

If it does not come on when you turn the key, you may have a bad relay or power problem to the PCM. The PCM will not enable your fuel pump, spark etc.

If it does not extinguish when you are cranking, there is a problem with the Crank signal.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/april2006/techtips.htm

Back