Engine

baphomet666

Reaction score
City, State
Bordeaux,FRANCE
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer.1994. 4WD
:salute:Hello everyone

Can you tell me if it is possible to mount an engine 97 in a 94 and if the automatic gearbox are the same.
Because I found here in FRANCE engine with 79,000 miles but gear box and broken, and it offers me the engine for $ 250.

thank you for your advice

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '94 only came with an OHV motor. The '97 V6 came as either an OHV or SOHC. You can take an '97 OHV and use it in the '94. However, it's best to use all the sensors from the '94 since there may be some differences and you don't want to screw up your computer.

You could use a '97 SOHC, but you would need to swap wiring harnesses and computers as well.

The '97 OHV will swap right in to a '94, sure. There may be a few slight differences, but between the two engines you can swap some things and make it work no problem.

If it's a '97 SOHC though, it will fit fine in place of the OHC, but it will be a little bit more involved, plus you'd want the wiring, ECU, and other things like that to make it a straightforward swap.

The '94 only came with an OHV motor. The '97 V6 came as either an OHV or SOHC. You can take an '97 OHV and use it in the '94. However, it's best to use all the sensors from the '94 since there may be some differences and you don't want to screw up your computer.

You could use a '97 SOHC, but you would need to swap wiring harnesses and computers as well.

The '97 OHV will swap right in to a '94, sure. There may be a few slight differences, but between the two engines you can swap some things and make it work no problem.

If it's a '97 SOHC though, it will fit fine in place of the OHC, but it will be a little bit more involved, plus you'd want the wiring, ECU, and other things like that to make it a straightforward swap.

:thumbsup:Thank you very much for your reply, I understand, I think I buy this a good deal for this price! no!

xof67k.jpg

:exp:

Looks like you found another OHV motor - that should be a pretty easy swap - just make sure you put the sensors from the 94 on the new 97 block, and you should be good to go.

Looks like you found another OHV motor - that should be a pretty easy swap - just make sure you put the sensors from the 94 on the new 97 block, and you should be good to go.

Yes sir that's a good bargain to me, I'd take a newer low mileage motor for that price!

I agree with you, thank you gentlemen ;):thumbsup:

Back