Escape towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Escape towing

hi

I currently own a 2004 Explorer XLT.I have always loved my Explorers,I have had 3, but was thinking about down sizing to save on gas. I am in sales and drive over 30k a year.I was thinking about getting an Escape. It should get abput 4 to 5 mpg better that my Explorer which would save me $100 to $150 a month in gas.I do need it for towing.In the winter I snowmobile,the two sleds and trailer are about 1500 lbs.I also have a boat a Seayray 185.The boat wheigh 2700lbs and with the trailer I am sure its over 3000lbs.. I rareley tow it any more since we live on the water. Last years The only time it was towed was 15 miles each way to and back from storage.
Has any one towed with an escape? who does it do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we have an Escape at one of the lodges i work at, it was purchased just for towing boats out of the water in fall, and putting them back in during the spring,

we have already faced the issue of it being a manual and that boats being towed out are hard on the clutch , in fact the clutch is gone ,

so i would say a manual is not a good idea,, but the auto should be okay if you don't tow the boat much,, as for the snomobiles, it should be okay, as they only weigh as much as full passengers in the escape,, just get a good hitch.

To start, keep in mind that all Ford trucks state a MAX trailer weight rating, which incluides the loaded trailer, AND any passengers/cargo that in the truck, not including 150 lbs allowance for the driver. In other words, if you have a 3500 lbs MAX rating, you CAN tow a 3500 lb loaded trailer, but only if the truck is empty except for a driver.

Here is a link to the Ford Towing Guide:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

The 4-cylinder tops out at 1500 lbs MAX. So you are looking at the V6 model. You must get the factory tow package to use the 3500 lbs max tow rating. You should also get the 4x4 powertrain to help in the snow, and wet boat ramps. Without the rear wheels helping out, you would have traction problems pulling the boat out of the water.

2011 Ford Escape V6 4x4 with tow package:
3500 lbs max towing rating
7300 lbs GCVWR (combined vehicle rating)

You should get the boat & trailer weighed (loaded to go) to be sure you can stay under your GCVWR. Loaded trailer can't be more than 3500 lbs. Loaded trailer, plus loaded truck can't be more than 7300 lbs (all cargo and people).

Finally, I'm sure your boat trailer has surge brakes. However, I doubt that your snowmobile trailer does. Any vehicle's brake system is only designed to safely and consistently stop it's own weight, up to it's GVWR. If your loaded Escape plus loaded snow trailer is greater than the GVWR of the Escape, you are overworking the brakes.

If you don't already have them, consider a snow trailer with surge brakes, too.

I havent weighed 150 pounds since 1974 LOL ! Thanks for the info.

Is there any way to know if the Escape have the tow package by the VIN code? If not how would one fine out?

I just looked at the link you provided and the only opitional equipment it shows included in the tow package for the Escape is the hitch and four pin wiring harness.The only other thing it says in for trailers over 1500lbs requires the V6.

Yes, the V6 is required, or you are stuck at 1500 lbs.
It looks like the aux trans cooler is standard. I assume this means they run it thru a bulb-cooler in the radiator, and thru an inline aux. oil-to-air cooler in front of the radiator. You should confirm this visually.

If you get the factory tow package, it will include the hitch, trailer wiring harness, and sway-control logic built into the stability control system.

If you don't get the factory tow package, you can upgrade these yourself thru etrailer.com:
1. Class 2 or Class 3 receivers are available ($160-200) and install in about 40 minutes. Your trailer should not be a tongue weight problem, so class 2 should be fine (1¼" receiver). But I recommend you go with the Class 3. Cost and install-time is about the same as class 2, but it will allow you the use of a WDH kit if you ever get a camper or something with more than 300 lbs. No WDH kits are made that fit the smaller class 2 hitch. The only downside is about 1" less ground clearance.
2. Sounds like the tow package includes wiring and relays to the back of the vehicle, and a separate, uninstalled harness. You may have to plug or splice this haness to the wires behind the bumper (?). If you don't have the tow package, etrailer sells a complete wiring kit for $50. They also sell a kit for vehicles with the tow package ($15) although I'm not sure why you would need it.
3. You can't retrofit the electronic sway control without a lot of new computers (?). But a friction sway controller can be purchased for about $40 at Harbor Freight, or up to $100 for a name brand (Reese/Drawtite) at a hitch shop. They are all identical.

Most boat trailers are long enough, with the axle far back, that sway is not a problem. But depending on how you load your snowmobiles, that could be a problem. But that's something you can try without, and easily add later if you need to.

Looks like the factory towing package is $395.
Best case, an add-on hitch ($160) and a sway controller ($40 plus another $25 or so for the sway control ball and adaptor bracket) has you at $225, plus your time to install (an easy 1 hour for the hitch, and another 1 hour for the sway controller if you need it). So I guess just go find the V6-4WD Escape that you like, and add a hitch if it doesn't have the factory tow package already.

thank you for your help! Ill got take a few out for test drives to see if I like the way they drive.

I have a Explorer Sport Trac, we bought it targeting towing. 7600 pound with 760 tongue weight.
My wife has a Escape, we added a 2" receiver hitch. She can tow 5000 pounds, but never will.

For the light weight towing you do a V6 Escape would do well.
If you really have to tow often I suggest buying a F250, many 1995 models are available cheap. Not real good on mileage but very good to tow with.

GreenMando,
The 2" receiver hitch on your wife's Escape may be rated for 5000 lbs, but the maximum rating for the Escape itself is only 3500 lbs. Tow ratings are based on the principle of the "weakest link". Adding a stronger link in the chain does not make the chain stronger. It just means the chain will break somewhere else. Likewise, towing 5000 lbs will not damage that new hitch. But it will damage something else, given time (transmission, hitch mounting point in the body, engine overheat, etc).

I know you said you'll never tow that much with the Escape. But I'm posting this for others that may need 5000 lbs towing, and erroneously think an Escape will fit the need.

Back