Evacuate A/C to replace Heater Core??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Evacuate A/C to replace Heater Core???

bub430

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I need to replace the heater core ASAP but after seeing a video procedure online it said I must evacuate the A/c in order to disconnect the line from the blower motor so the blower can be removed from the firewall to access the bolts on the engine side. Is this correct or is there a way around it? If not, how do you evacuate the A/c system - short of taking to a garage to have it done.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I need to replace the heater core ASAP but after seeing a video procedure online it said I must evacuate the A/c in order to disconnect the line from the blower motor so the blower can be removed from the firewall to access the bolts on the engine side. Is this correct or is there a way around it? If not, how do you evacuate the A/c system - short of taking to a garage to have it done.

Thanks!

I worked around that step. I see no need.

Welcome to this forum! Could you add your vehicle, and location to your profile? Where was this video clip?

Sorry...I will update my profile.

The video was step by step at expertvillage.com by an ASC certified mechanic.

I worked around that step. I see no need.

How did you work around this step? It looks like you have to remove the entire blower motor to access those bolts on the firewall - this is the only step keeping me from starting the job.

thanks

How did you work around this step? It looks like you have to remove the entire blower motor to access those bolts on the firewall - this is the only step keeping me from starting the job.

thanks

There are 4 nuts holding the evap/blower motor assembly. When they are removed, there should be enough slack in the A/C lines to push the plenum forward. Then you can take off the nuts holding the heater core plenum(they are on the same studs as the bolts you took off).

There are 4 nuts holding the evap/blower motor assembly. When they are removed, there should be enough slack in the A/C lines to push the plenum forward. Then you can take off the nuts holding the heater core plenum(they are on the same studs as the bolts you took off).

Don't forget the 5th nut under the dash! :D

I've done this a few times and didn't even consider not evacuating the a/c. I wanted the evap case out of the way so I could clean the evaporator fins while I was at it. I also have Freon recovery equipment though. But I guess you could get enough room your way...but it would sure be tight.

Don't forget the 5th nut under the dash! :D

I've done this a few times and didn't even consider not evacuating the a/c. I wanted the evap case out of the way so I could clean the evaporator fins while I was at it. I also have Freon recovery equipment though. But I guess you could get enough room your way...but it would sure be tight.

Can you buy the equipment to discharge the A/C yourself? I have seen a few of the items that are needed but not sure where to get them.

93 xlt

Blower on heater works on low barely. sounds like a trip to the junkyard for repalcement.

Back