Exchange Honda Pilot for Explorer

elkram_b

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Greetings!

Wellllll I have an '08 Honda Pilot that has hit the 15 year mark this year and in mentioning that some people would say the vehicle is old, but I don't really have any problems with it and never really did aside from regular maintenance and the alternator that kicked the bucket a year or so ago. The Pilot was always taken care of and received it as a hand-me-down from my parents who purchased it brand new. Only until the last few years it started to be be an "outside car" due to me not wanting to park it in my garage LOL.

But anyway, in the next couple of years my parents will most likely be getting another new car and I will have the option to take their '13 Ford Explorer. This vehicle also had the same type of life, bought from new, babied and regular maintenance. My question is, should I stick with the Pilot or move on to the newer Explorer? I guess I don't have faith that a newer Ford will be as reliable as a Honda. Hell, my last '05 Pilot had 260 something on the dash and was perfectly fine until I got rear-ended by an 18 wheeler and before that my 2 CR-V's went for over 300k each before I sold both!

Just nervous about switching to an American made vehicle when I've had Honda's my whole life! 🤣

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to beat Honda for dependability. I bought my very first new foreign car in 2013. A 2013 Honda Civic LX. It only has about 65,000 mi on it now but it's been 100% trouble free.. Not even a recall, somehow this one missed the air bag recall. Can't beat the fuel mileage. 37 mpg around town in the winter with lots of warm ups before driving. Up as high as 44 mpg on a 200 mi trip.. Another thing to consider is the cost of insurance on the Explorer. I'm sure this varies by state but my 2000 Explorer Sport insurance was much higher than my Honda when I had full coverage on it. If it was me.. I'd base my decision on, fuel mileage, insurance costs, do I need a vehicle as big as the Explorer for towing something, maybe for more passenger and luggage room for traveling.. ? How many miles will that 2013 Explorer have on it in two years ?..

I wouldn’t expect this generation of Explorer to be able to hit the 300k mark without at least one multi thousand dollar repair. Read up on the internal water pump. When they fail it ruins the motor in short order by dumping the coolant into the crank. If it’s 4wd the PTU needs serviced regularly, or they are known to fail due to the fluid getting cooked.

I guess I wont rush the rents into getting anything new anytime soon if folks from the Explorer forms say to keep the Pilot then you know you should probably listen LOL

Its not to scare you away. Both are great vehicles. The Explorer due to the design of the internal water pump on the 3.5 v6 motor just has that one achilles heel. You just have to be prepared & know what to look out for. There is a small weep hole behind the alternator. If & when that starts dripping is when you need a new water pump and its not something you can put off. It seems to be around 100-150k people seem to start having issues. Some a little sooner some a little later. As for the PTU yes it is highly recommended on this forum to change the fluid every 30k even though Ford claims a lifetime fill. It only holds a thimble full of fluid (iirc 1/2 quart). If one of the PTU seals start to leak it doesn't take much to run it dry. I'm sure Pilots have some their own faults too, but if its been good to you why replace it?

I've racked up the miles on a few American cars. So far had 3 over 200k
'95 Pontiac Grand Am 323,000
'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee 279,000
'07 Ford Explorer (my first) 220,000

Only a matter of time before I get back up there again

I guess I wont rush the rents into getting anything new anytime soon if folks from the Explorer forms say to keep the Pilot then you know you should probably listen LOL
I would strongly suggest getting a Ford ESP on the vehicle depending upon the mileage.

Peter

Anything keeping you from having both? A paid for car is a free ride after insurance and registration.

Anything keeping you from having both? A paid for car is a free ride after insurance and registration.

I only drove 7k miles last year. No kids, no wife. It would just be wasted insurance, registration, inspection money basically.

I wouldn’t expect this generation of Explorer to be able to hit the 300k mark without at least one multi thousand dollar repair. Read up on the internal water pump. When they fail it ruins the motor in short order by dumping the coolant into the crank. If it’s 4wd the PTU needs serviced regularly, or they are known to fail due to the fluid getting cooked.
Op, the above is not exactly true. A failing water pump can destroy an engine but it is not a guarantee. If you see coolant leaking and ignore it, you will have problems. If you are prepared ahead of time, or can make the necessary arrangements, the water pump is a manageable repair. Especially if you are mechanically inclined and/or have a solid weekend to dedicate to doing the job yourself. I did my own water pump/timing chains in my driveway over the course of a long weekend and wrote up the diy thread at the top of the page.

The concerns about the PTU are legit though. That oil needs to be regularly checked/replaced but it’s not too big of a headache. But, some oils needing a little more frequent replacement is nothing. That’s still preventative maintenance

I have a ‘13 Explorer as well(n/a 3.5 XLT) and have just over 155k on it now. It’s had a few things go wrong but nothing earth shattering. The only reason I’m anticipating replacing it is a need for a larger truck to tow a camper, other than that I love mine.

Except, actually, the SYNC multimedia. I can’t stand that trash but that’s a personal preference and easy enough to work around or replace

Except, actually, the SYNC multimedia. I can’t stand that trash but that’s a personal preference and easy enough to work around or replace

That's the first thing that would go! I cant live without Android Auto LOL

I haven’t replaced anything but I’m getting a bit closer, I just deal with it.

Greetings!

Wellllll I have an '08 Honda Pilot that has hit the 15 year mark this year and in mentioning that some people would say the vehicle is old, but I don't really have any problems with it and never really did aside from regular maintenance and the alternator that kicked the bucket a year or so ago. The Pilot was always taken care of and received it as a hand-me-down from my parents who purchased it brand new. Only until the last few years it started to be be an "outside car" due to me not wanting to park it in my garage LOL.

But anyway, in the next couple of years my parents will most likely be getting another new car and I will have the option to take their '13 Ford Explorer. This vehicle also had the same type of life, bought from new, babied and regular maintenance. My question is, should I stick with the Pilot or move on to the newer Explorer? I guess I don't have faith that a newer Ford will be as reliable as a Honda. Hell, my last '05 Pilot had 260 something on the dash and was perfectly fine until I got rear-ended by an 18 wheeler and before that my 2 CR-V's went for over 300k each before I sold both!

Just nervous about switching to an American made vehicle when I've had Honda's my whole life! 🤣
I would accept the Explorer and trade it in on another Honda. IMO, Honda ranks right behind Toyota for reliability.

Op, the above is not exactly true. A failing water pump can destroy an engine but it is not a guarantee. If you see coolant leaking and ignore it, you will have problems. If you are prepared ahead of time, or can make the necessary arrangements, the water pump is a manageable repair. Especially if you are mechanically inclined and/or have a solid weekend to dedicate to doing the job yourself. I did my own water pump/timing chains in my driveway over the course of a long weekend and wrote up the diy thread at the top of the page.

The concerns about the PTU are legit though. That oil needs to be regularly checked/replaced but it’s not too big of a headache. But, some oils needing a little more frequent replacement is nothing. That’s still preventative maintenance

I have a ‘13 Explorer as well(n/a 3.5 XLT) and have just over 155k on it now. It’s had a few things go wrong but nothing earth shattering. The only reason I’m anticipating replacing it is a need for a larger truck to tow a camper, other than that I love mine.

The water pump is absolutely an issue. Most people don’t see the water pump leaking INTO the motor. I’d bet more than 50% of water pump failures result in motors that are ruined.

The water pump is absolutely an issue. Most people don’t see the water pump leaking INTO the motor. I’d bet more than 50% of water pump failures result in motors that are ruined.
I never said it wasn’t an issue. You made it sound like a leaking water pump always results in a destroyed engine. A water pump that is just leaking a little bit out the weep hole is a failed water pump and will require replacement but it will only require an engine replacement if it is ignored

Back