Looking forward to test driving the new Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking forward to test driving the new Explorer

BMan5150

Reaction score
City, State
O-HI-O
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I own a 2004 honda Pilot EX-l and am replacing it sometime over the next 60 days. My wife and I love the pilot and were ready to pull the trigger on the new pilot until we went and checked it out. They dumbed down the steering and overall the truck is fine but not remarkable and not nearly different or improved enough over my 2004 to justify spending 35K. And the looks aren't exactly great either. The interior was absolutely dreadful. A sea of cheap plastic. We were very disappointed to say the least.

Needless to say, we like the look and overall specs of the new Explorer. I am certain it will tow better than the pilot (although it wasn't too bad.)

I can't wait to test drive it and check out the interior. If it all checks out we'll buy one provided there is at least some discounting going on. I saw one advertised for $1200 off sticker already so that's a good sign!

This is my first post on the Explorer forum. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a 2004 honda Pilot EX-l and am replacing it sometime over the next 60 days. My wife and I love the pilot and were ready to pull the trigger on the new pilot until we went and checked it out. They dumbed down the steering and overall the truck is fine but not remarkable and not nearly different or improved enough over my 2004 to justify spending 35K. And the looks aren't exactly great either. The interior was absolutely dreadful. A sea of cheap plastic. We were very disappointed to say the least.

Needless to say, we like the look and overall specs of the new Explorer. I am certain it will tow better than the pilot (although it wasn't too bad.)

I can't wait to test drive it and check out the interior. If it all checks out we'll buy one provided there is at least some discounting going on. I saw one advertised for $1200 off sticker already so that's a good sign!

This is my first post on the Explorer forum. :cool:

I am in the same boat as you are with the same year of a pilot, which I am not a huge fan of, but my wife likes it now she is curious about the 2011 Explorer. Our local dealer can not even get one on the lot to look at and if they do get one it will go for retail.
A number of dealers(200-300 miles away) will take SO's only with no discounts, so it looks like the wife will have to wait for awhile and I will stick with my 97 expedition for the winter and my Chevy for the better weather.
Will be interested in your opinion after the drive.

Jack

I am in the same boat as you are with the same year of a pilot, which I am not a huge fan of, but my wife likes it now she is curious about the 2011 Explorer. Our local dealer can not even get one on the lot to look at and if they do get one it will go for retail.
A number of dealers(200-300 miles away) will take SO's only with no discounts, so it looks like the wife will have to wait for awhile and I will stick with my 97 expedition for the winter and my Chevy for the better weather.
Will be interested in your opinion after the drive.

Jack

Yeah, I'm interested in testing one myself and comparing it to our 07 MDX. But will also be comparing it to our 2003 Explorer which I'm really contemplating on trading it in on a new 2011 Limited. :)

Seems like Ford has $1,000 rebate and also a $1,500 Owner Loyalty rebate out if you currently own a Explorer.

I would imagine that most dealerships are fairly hard-up for sales these days. Maybe not as bad as the last 2 years but they definitely aren't the glory days. New vehicle or not you should be able to get it for under MSRP if not right at invoice NOT including any rebates.

I hate people who brag and I hope this doesn't come off this way as I'm sure others have done better than me, but I was able to order my 2011 Ex back in September for just under invoice not counting a $500 pre-order rebate and the current $1000 rebate (or financing rates which suck) for everybody. I'm not military, no family in Ford and never owned a previous Explorer so I don't qualify for those discounts. Just wanted to give people a point of reference but obviously your mileage may vary now that the cat is out of the bag (ie everybody knows about the Ex now).

I always liked the Pilot until the recent style change. Now it's a box on wheels like the Element. Yes, I get that SUVs are boxy but guess what, the new Explorer, existing Acadia/Enclave/Traverse all nailed the styling IMO.

I would imagine that most dealerships are fairly hard-up for sales these days. Maybe not as bad as the last 2 years but they definitely aren't the glory days. New vehicle or not you should be able to get it for under MSRP if not right at invoice NOT including any rebates.

I hate people who brag and I hope this doesn't come off this way as I'm sure others have done better than me, but I was able to order my 2011 Ex back in September for just under invoice not counting a $500 pre-order rebate and the current $1000 rebate (or financing rates which suck) for everybody. I'm not military, no family in Ford and never owned a previous Explorer so I don't qualify for those discounts. Just wanted to give people a point of reference but obviously your mileage may vary now that the cat is out of the bag (ie everybody knows about the Ex now).

I always liked the Pilot until the recent style change. Now it's a box on wheels like the Element. Yes, I get that SUVs are boxy but guess what, the new Explorer, existing Acadia/Enclave/Traverse all nailed the styling IMO.

Looks like we will be shopping for awhile because I will never pay those jacked prices. Spoke with the local dealer today and they got one in, detailed and out the door so I have yet to see one. Weather crappy around here so looks like we will wait until the passes clear up a bit. Thanks again for the point of reference.

Jack

I wouldn't say the Explorer is "cheap" but compared to the Traverse/Sorento/Acadia/Enclave/Highlander/Cherokee/Durango I think the price is right there. Sorento is cheap but after looking at one there are way too many "small" things that are better on the Ford and they add up. Highlander is a good price point but it's still a little smaller than the Ex. Traverse is nice and big but if you want ANY options on it you're well into mid 30s. Acadia and Enclave I don't think I need to mention, unless they have big rebates they are both more expensive than the Ex option for option. Cherokee and Durango are both going start higher than the Ex but the Cherokee is a good alternative (if you like vehicles that only last 2 years).

In the end, it all depends on incentives and out-the-door price. If I couldn't get the Ex at or below Invoice before incentives, I would have told the dealership to shove it. To my surprise, I had all 3 local Ford dealerships fighting between each other. One said "we'll sell it at invoice", the next one said "we'll do the same and offer free oil changes for life" and the final one said "invoice, free oil changes and and extra $250 off invoice", I was happy to stop there ;)

We finally just got one at our local ford dealership. I was very skeptical of the new explorer based on the fact that some of the pics made it look like a bloated subaru (ugh). Seeing it in person alleviated those fears, absolutely stunning vehicle. The interior is amazing and the test drive was truly a pleasure. I was surprised how much faster this car was with a V6 than my 99 with a 5.0L. If I didn't love my ol' trusty 99 so much, I would buy this car in a heartbeat. I don't think any of the new SUVs in its class can compare except maybe the new grand cherokee.
I was amazed.

We finally just got one at our local ford dealership. I was very skeptical of the new explorer based on the fact that some of the pics made it look like a bloated subaru (ugh). Seeing it in person alleviated those fears, absolutely stunning vehicle. The interior is amazing and the test drive was truly a pleasure. I was surprised how much faster this car was with a V6 than my 99 with a 5.0L. If I didn't love my ol' trusty 99 so much, I would buy this car in a heartbeat. I don't think any of the new SUVs in its class can compare except maybe the new grand cherokee.
I was amazed.

High praise coming from an owner of a Gen 2. I've never owned a previous Explorer, or even an SUV before and your post kind of makes me wish I did. I'm coming from a 96 Ranger 2WD that's been my "ol' trusty" since I bought it new. I finally need more space (married, baby on the way) and better snow driving.

High praise coming from an owner of a Gen 2. I've never owned a previous Explorer, or even an SUV before and your post kind of makes me wish I did. I'm coming from a 96 Ranger 2WD that's been my "ol' trusty" since I bought it new. I finally need more space (married, baby on the way) and better snow driving.

Congrats on the baby, when is the delivery day?? My wife and I are expecting a boy around March. I was considering buying a new explorer but my 99 just keeps chugging w/out a problem. I do have to say, I'm not sure if the new explorer will be able to outlast the old 2nd gen 5.0L Xs, maybe they will. I am just always weary of buying a brand new model with a brand new engine on the first year. With that said, the new explorer simply exudes class and exquisite quality. The materials are first rate and pick and up go is downright impressive. Like I said before, stunning vehicle. It is also a lot more "SUV-ish" when you see it as opposed to the pics.

Well, I test drove a new Explorer XLT AWD with the 202a rapid spec package, tow package, 20" rims and blind spot monitor. I liked it but was not blown away like I expected. Maybe my expectations were too high?

interior is very nice; great center stack layout, screen, dash lights, etc. Overall look is excellent.

great looking with the 20" rims

super, super quiet vehicle! love this part. Way quieter than pilot or even quieter than the acura mdx I recently test drove.

neat tow hitch hider trim panel.

like that it has a tow/haul transmission mode.

not as wide as pilots rear storage area but longer

trick manual 3rd row seat folding levers

nice handling/steering.

dislikes:

Drivetrain - Acceleration was suprisingly similar to my pilot and the new pilot = lackluster but adequate. The pilot weighs some 200 lbs less but the Ex has a better hp/weight ratio than the pilot + an extra trans gear so I'm not sure why it felt so similar. Throttle tip-in is super-aggressive though so I can see where some people might think the Ex. is quick since it's so jumpy off the line. Once you get going though, it's just not that impressive. It's just OK. The automatic trans shift logic can be described in one phrase: maximize fuel economy! It is not at all "driver" oriented - whenever I wanted to drive a little more aggressively it seemed flat footed until it eventually decided to shift and then run up the rpms a little. Pretty sure this trans like most nowadays are driver-adaptable so it would probably improve a little as I drove it. overall, I guess I was just a little disappointed by the overall drivetrain. not as smooth or intuitive as the pilot's.

interior/windows/blind spots - Another thing I noticed was the interior feels a tad claustraphobic. The windows are all noticeably smaller than the old or new pilot, and that made for a little getting used to when it came to manuvering/blind spots/etc.

*Feels big. It steers well enough and doesn't lean as much as pilots old and new but one thing - you can't see the front edges of the car so it just appears more trucky and less manuverable. I felt this but my wife really didn't like this part. We have a side load garage so it could make it a little tricky getting in and out (front left corner.)

*doors are HEAVY and very typical "american car clunky." Two of the doors took a few tries to get shut. Overall fit and finish seemed pretty good but not with regards to the doors.

So, there you have it. My thoughts as promised. We're not ruling the Ex out but it's not a slam dunk like I thought it would be after I test drove it. We do still like it better than the Pilot. It almost seems like it needs to go back to the finishing department for some fine tuning. Seems about 9/10ths there.

I will probably go test drive a limited and do a double-check to make sure it just wasn't one vehicle or it wasn't just us being so used to the pilot that we were just less comfortable in a new vehicle. BUT....I also test drove a 2010 Acura MDX base and immediately loved it. We are heavily considering getting a slightly used or new MDX now but will re-visit an Explorer Limited AWD before we pull the trigger.

I didnt test drive it, but sat in a new one today at the dealer while there to pick up some parts.

not sure what trim level it was but it was LOADED
Power 3rd row seats, power tail gate, back up camera, nice wheels, leather, nav etc.

It was unlocked so I sat in and it was Nice! I was skeptical as Im a true lover of a frame under a truck... but times are changing as was my opinion by just sitting in it.

Im not a fan of new vehicles...but if the right used one came along Id likely be interested. I liked what I saw so far.

interior/windows/blind spots - Another thing I noticed was the interior feels a tad claustraphobic. The windows are all noticeably smaller than the old or new pilot, and that made for a little getting used to when it came to manuvering/blind spots/etc.

*Feels big. It steers well enough and doesn't lean as much as pilots old and new but one thing - you can't see the front edges of the car so it just appears more trucky and less manuverable. I felt this but my wife really didn't like this part. We have a side load garage so it could make it a little tricky getting in and out (front left corner.)

I agree 100% here and this is the only thing I really don't like about it. It's not nearly open enough inside.

I don't agree about the doors, though. I thought they felt solid and well made. And I thought the transmission was super smooth and the acceleration was pretty good for a V6. After all, it's faster than the previous gen with the V8.

Drivetrain - Acceleration was suprisingly similar to my pilot and the new pilot = lackluster but adequate. The pilot weighs some 200 lbs less but the Ex has a better hp/weight ratio than the pilot + an extra trans gear so I'm not sure why it felt so similar. Throttle tip-in is super-aggressive though so I can see where some people might think the Ex. is quick since it's so jumpy off the line. Once you get going though, it's just not that impressive. It's just OK. The automatic trans shift logic can be described in one phrase: maximize fuel economy! It is not at all "driver" oriented - whenever I wanted to drive a little more aggressively it seemed flat footed until it eventually decided to shift and then run up the rpms a little. Pretty sure this trans like most nowadays are driver-adaptable so it would probably improve a little as I drove it. overall, I guess I was just a little disappointed by the overall drivetrain. not as smooth or intuitive as the pilot's.
The Highlander I'm driving will 'learn' how you drive and adjust shift points etc to your driving style. I'm not sure if the new Explorer will do the same. :scratch:

The Highlander I'm driving will 'learn' how you drive and adjust shift points etc to your driving style. I'm not sure if the new Explorer will do the same. :scratch:

I would imagine it will do the same since the last Explorer does.

Thanks for that info. Was not aware since I'm new to the Explorer world.

I thought the doors seemed heavy and sturdy but certainly not "American clunky." Not sure what you mean by that, most Foreign car doors feel like tin to me, I like a little heft.

As for the acceleration, I thought it was impressive. But to each their own.

As for the acceleration, I thought it was impressive. But to each their own.

I've had too many crotch rockets to count since I was 18 (and dragged/raced most of them) and currently have a LS1 equipped GTO in the garage. When it comes to acceleration, I think I have a good grasp on things ;)

I'll post my impressions hopefully the second or third week of Feb when my Ex should come in. I don't expect Hayabusa-like acceleration, after all it's sitting at 5000 lbs with 2-3 passengers.

I'm wondering if it was the tightness of the vehicle that kept the doors from closing. No cars have clunky doors anymore... :dunno:

Well I haven't been in any Pilot or Honda for that matter that wasn't full of cheap black plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had too many crotch rockets to count since I was 18 (and dragged/raced most of them) and currently have a LS1 equipped GTO in the garage. When it comes to acceleration, I think I have a good grasp on things.

??????? Not sure where that came from considering I was responding to a different poster...but, OK.

Back