• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust for 99 SOHC?

FXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Loxahatchee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Anyone have help on performance exhaust for 99 SOHC with 2-catalic converters. Would prefer deep sound, not ricey.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flowmaster SUV 50 Series. They have one for our application (and I have one on my Ex as do many others on this site). I like mine but the cabin drone was a bit more than I wanted but not bad (keep in mind I have a 2 door which has different acoustics than the 4 door due it being 10" shorter). I ended up with an aftermarket resonator and now it's perfect. I've heard many with 4 doors say they don't have the same drone characteristics I had.

You won't go wrong with Flowie.

I would recommend you selecting the muffler of your choice and have your local muffler shop make a custom cat back system for you.

I have the Flowmaster 70 and there is no obnoxious drone inside the cabin.

Good luck .....

Two inlets and one out, right? Is this something I have to take to exhaust shop for fab?

FXplorer said:
Two inlets and one out, right? Is this something I have to take to exhaust shop for fab?

My exhaust has a fabricated Y from the cats to a single in ( 2 1/2" ), single our ( 2 1/2" ) Flowmaster 70. The piping is all 2 1/2' except for the 3" tip.

Al, you are using a Y pipe and reducing from 2-1 before the muffler? Ever think that you could benefit from having the exhaust crossing over within the muffler as to act like a crossover (X or H pipe)? I would think that the drastic transition from 2-1 within a Y pipe would cost torque/power/mpg.

I'd be curious to see some testing with your setup vs a dual inlet muffler, know of any?

Back