• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Help!!!

anthonyhyde

Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt 4x4
SO, here it is. I have a 92 4dr Ex. with major exhaust leak problems at the manifold (donut gasket??). I'm looking for a cheap and easy fix. Local exhaust shop quoted me 160 bucks for new down pipe/ y pipe. It's a shame my exhaust sounds so crappy just had cat back 40 series installed and it sounds like crap!!!

I need some help. . .

1. is there an actual gasket here, or is it metal on metal and the only option i have is new down pipe?

2. is there a cheap fix for this?

help please!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's no gasket. The seal is created by the flange of the Y-pipe being pulled over the manifold 'donut' via the bracket with the two bolts.

If you clean/mess with the sealing surface, it can make it harder to get a good seal than if you just leave it alone when taking it apart.

It won't actually be airtight until it goes through a few hot/cold cycles (which is why it's a good idea to re-torque the manifold bracket bolts after a few days or so), but it shouldn't be leaky enough to make any noise or smoke.

If there's nothing wrong with the sealing surfaces, I would suggest getting new bolts (Ford dealers sell them) and/or cleaning up the threads on the manifolds so you can get proper torque on the bolts.

If they still leak when torqued to spec, and you've double and triple checked that there is no issue with the sealing surface on either the Y-pipe or manifold, I would probably suggest wiping down the sealing surfaces, and smearing some of the material from a catalytic converter donut gasket (buy one for the Explorer, it goes between the back of the conveter and the front of the intermediate muffler pipe on an aftermarket exhaust system) on those surfaces to seal them. It's sort of silver/grey and a lot like anti-sieze, so be careful not to get it on anything else and clean up after applying it, before handling the Y-pipe to install.

If that doesn't do it, you're either just not taking the time to properly align the Y-pipe and slowly tighten each bolt to keep everything aligned and even, or something is preventing the brackets from sliding over the flanges to make a seal, like the bolts being old and rusty, in which case you just need new bolts.

A new Y-pipe isn't likely to seal better, if anything the old Y-pipe is the best fit with the original Ford manifolds. The only time you need a new Y-pipe is if the original is damaged or rusted through.

If the leak isn't the Y-pipe/manifold, it's the head/manifold, in which case you just get manifold gaskets.

... Local exhaust shop quoted me 160 bucks for new down pipe/ y pipe. ...
Only things I can think of where the down/Y-pipe would need to be replaced is if it's rusted thru (not likely) or a manifold bracket is broken/rusted thru.

theres no rust on the y-pipe at all. the whole leak is coming in between the manifold and the y-pipe.

Are the studs on the manifold just loose? or.....?

There aren't studs on the manifold, just threads for the bolts.

If the old bolts are rusted a good bit, the threads that weren't in the manifold will be too messed up to go into the manifold that last bit needed to get a good seal at proper torque. Hence why cleaning up the bolt/manifold threads or new bolts usually works.

Back