Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Hey guys!

A little help is wanted lol.

My exhaust decided to just up and fall off driving the other day. The resonator is completely shot and the intermediate pipe as well as muffler.

I found this system, I've been looking at it for a while:
DynoMax Cat Back Systems

It seems pretty nice, and at a great price. Comes with the clamps....but does it come with the spring bolts and the gasket?

Also, I thought I saw a DynoMax system that came with a chrome tip???

I also plan on gutting the cat as we have no emmisions here and it's gettin pretty old, probably clogged up pretty good. It's on a 92, so I shouldn't have any codes thrown right?

Thanks in advance guys!

- Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, I think it would be foolish to "gut" the cats. You will see no performance benefit.

Check with your local muffler shop and see what they charge for a custom cat back system with the muffler of your choice.

Good luck ...

Well, from what I typed when I put my post, I'm not doin it for performance, I'm doin it for performance security, so that way in 2 months it doesn't get so messed up that I start to loose MPG. Just for clarification.

I' not looking for performance out of the explorer, that's why I have my Monte Carlo lol.

- Brandon

I agree with al, no need to gut the cats, if it comes to that point then do it when and if they plug up, no sense in doing it if the vehicle runs well now.

That being said I have that system on my '94 XLT, it's a well made exhaust and fits perfectly in place of the stock using the stock hangers and hardware. It has a nice sound but not much different than stock, perhaps a tad louder. It does not come with the converter gasket or the bolt/springs that attach to the converters (those kits are available at autozone along with the gasket). I've had the system on my EX for 3 years and it's held up well, but the truck isn't a daily driver. Hope this helps in your decision, you can find that kit on ebay and maybe save a few dollars too.

The Dynomax system is a great replacement, and is great for performance with a mellow tone.

It doesn't come with the spring bolts or the gasket, but you can get the spring bolts in the HELP! section of the parts store. The bolt they carry for Fords has an 18mm head which is larger than the stock bolts, but they fit perfectly. You can also get the flange gasket from either Fel-Pro ($5) or Walker ($12) at the parts store as well.

Get these and the cat-back and it all goes on together pretty easily.

I wouldn't suggest gutting the catalytic converters for any kind of performance gain. If anything, it'll give more problems. The stock cats are pretty high flowing, and expensive to replace. Even without emissions testing, it's a $5,000 fine and possible jail time for running without a converter or gutting it. Not to mention the health risks from the toxic gases your truck will then be producing.

Haha sweet!

I'm not guttin the cat regardless anymore, just wanted to ask if it would be beneficial.

I went ahead and ordered the DynoMax system. I had my eye on it over the years because the resonator was starting to rust about 2 years ago. I can't believe it held up this long haha.

Thanks alot guys!

- Brandon

they all laughed at my 94 ex at the shop but....

when i had the same problem i looked at most of the same options that you talked about and one you didn't. I bought a cherry bomb glass pack. When i went to the muffler shop to have it put on they all laughed at me . i left the cat on for emission test purposes and had them put the cherry bomb in place of the muffler and strait pipe after that. the all lughed untill i started the truck back up when they were done then they stoped laughing and agreed it sounded pretty good the total cost to me was $75 bucks including parts and labour. the cherry bomb was only $24. and instalation $50. including the new pipe. a friend with a 92 ex went and spent $250. on a magnaflo and instalation and was pissed when he heard my truck and it sounded better and tougher. I have been running this system for almost a year and have been very pleased. the cat dullens and deepens the sound of the motor the the cherry bomb amplifies the rumble and the tale pipe bend over the axle makes it sound quiet at idle but when you hit the gas it rumbles to life and sounds like ive got a v8 under the hood. good luck:salute:

Back