• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust in coolant.

maggy55

Reaction score
City, State
S.F. ,Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Limited
Hi, hope some one can help me. When I stop my car there are little bubbles coming up in my radiator overflow resevoir, smell like exhaust. Thouht it was probably a head gasket problem . Did a compression test, all cylinders were around 160 PSI, except for one at 135 PSI. Pulled the head on that side and replaced head gasket. Still have bubbles in the overflow. Car runs fine otherwise and doesn't seem to loose much, if any coolant. Any thoughts ? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do another compression test and see if your 135 went up to 160, if not then

its either not the gasket (head itself) or you missed the cylinder thats leaking.

It definatley sounds like you have a head gasket leak/cracked head.

This is the 93 truck? How many miles?
If you go through the trouble of doing head gaskets, its almsot always worth it to do both sides and also have the heads checked.

Head

Thanks, I'll check the compression this weekend. 149 K mileage.

help

OK, checked the compression , all even now, but still getting exhaust gas bubbling into the radiator overflow . Doesn't seem to loose any coolant . No water in oil. Runs great though :rolleyes: HELP !

Yes, I did use a straight edge to check the head. I'm also assuming since the compression is now good , that it was the gasket that was bad.

do the exhaust studs go into the water jacket because that could be a source of the bubbles, longshot though

Back