Exhaust leak, but NO exhaust leak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust leak, but NO exhaust leak?

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
Well, this shltbox is at it again.
I started the truck yesterday to go to work and immediately knew something was wrong. It sounds like I have an exhaust leak, yet I don't.
I did a thurough search for a leak and found nothing.
The motor seems to run 100% still.
When starting from a stop I get the exhaust leak sputtering sound. Occasionally I have a vibration on the highway when slowly accelerating.

I don't SEE any sort of vacuum leak, but didn't thuroughly look using carb cleaner or anything.

Also, it seems to run even worse when in reverse....

Any ideas guys?
This truck is truely PISSING ME OFF!
As soon as the Cobra's back on the road I'm selling this thing.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it sounds like it's sputtering and all, check your spark plugs and wires.

I know when I got my Explorer, it had 214k original miles, and the spark plugs looked either original, or they were only changed once. It sounded like you did, a horrible sputtering and all.

Maybe 1 plug isn't working, or a wire came loose, but it's worth checking. When was the last time your replaced them?

I never replaced them, I've put about 11k on it since I bought it for a winter beater.
If the plugs were bad, the truck would run like ass, no?

The motor itself doesn't seem to skip a beat.
Plus, it happened overnight, wasn't gradual at all.

did you check near the y-pipe and to the cat and all?maybe exhaust manifolds?my 1st explorer had a hole in the bottom of the muffler right under the passanger side rear door on the under side of it,wasnt really loud but noticable on colder days,on warmer days it wasnt noticable

I checked up by all that. I don't HEAR anything by the manifolds.

i DO have a leak at the "flowtube" (thaat's what they call it on stangs). It's the short piece between the cat and muffler. But I KNOW that's not causing all these issues. It's running pretty bad, but get's a little better when it's warmed up.

No I haven't.
Where abouts is it located on this pos exhaust? i know where it is up top, but where doez it end up.
Is it a pain in the ass to replace?

Just had mine replaced,Ford ain't givin it away,that's for sure.Drivers side,goes from the top center of the motor to the front of the exhaust manifold.Tube cost me just over $100.:D

I know when my plugs were fouled (using foul in place of the other f word, ha) up, it was spittering/sputtering/popping/skipping, just sounded off. Reminds me of what you're saying, when it first started up it ran REALLY rough, but it would go when you wanted it to.

Spark Plugs are cheap enough it'd be worth knowing they were all good and done right. A set of new wires wouldn't hurt either (the problem might even be IN the wires if they're originals from just being old).

Hope this helps, it may be completely wrong but I've seen some crazy problems come from some completely unrelated things.

I just don't feel it's the plugs wires, but it may be. i'm almost afraid to touch them. I'm afraid they'll snap.

Is the EGR tube a pain in the as to replace? Can't you just replace it with a high temp hose if the ends are still good on the tube?

its a metal tube from the exhause manifold to the egr valve. carries heated exhaust gas so i doubt youd want to run a rubber hose in place of it. double check those manifolds again when you look at the egr tube, alot of times they can crack around the bolts, causing leaks from the gaskets. when the truck warms up everything expands sealing up most small leaks.

LOL...I know what an Exhaust Gas Recirculation tube is.

I'll check the manifoilds..I HOPE that's not the issue!

LOL...I know what an Exhaust Gas Recirculation tube is.

I'll check the manifoilds..I HOPE that's not the issue!

i didnt mean to sound condescending, but ive actually had many people come in work and ask for some rubber hose to put in place of their egr tube. i type info people already know to humor myself i guess lol

Not the EGR, I checked it earlier.

I also pulled each plug wire one at a time (off the coil pack).
The front 2 wires don't seem to have much an effect when I unplugged them. yet, they made a spark like all the others.

could just be a weak spark, you can make a spark with a 1.5V battary but if the amps arn't there it wont fire as well. I dont really know of any way of testing how strong your spark is tho ...

Any other ideas?

You can check spark with a tool called a spark checker,looks like a spark plug with no center electrode,takes a bunch of amps to fire it.if it fires the spark is good.

Well, after my truck has been sputtering, sounding like an exhaust leak, I decided to check my codes.

With the Key On, Engine Off, the only code I got was 327.

Which is "EGR valve Pressure transducer/Position Sensor circuit below minimum voltage".

Anyone know if this code would cause my truck to run like complete ass?
WHAT's the cause? New EGR? New sensor or something?
I know where the EGR is, but anything else you guys will need to tell me or show me a pic. I'm still new to these Exploders!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back