• Register Today It's free!

exhaust manifold bolts/stud

windsorfan94

Reaction score
City, State
tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer xlt
hello, i am currently in the process of changing my passanger side manifold on my 2001 explorer v8. im having trrouble finding the bolt and stud measurments for the manifold and flange, can someone help please. i cant reuse the factory bolts as they are rusted very badly and will most likely break off in head

You got them all out? Lucky!!!

thread size is 3/8 16

As for length you will have to take the bolts to the hardware store and match them up. The cast manifold has a couple humps which need longer bolts.
You may need to stack a washer or 2 on bolt to "shorten" it if you cannot find the proper length. The bolt needs to penetrate into the head about 3/4" but not too far or it will bottom out before the flange is snug.. Avoid shoulder bolts also, as the shoulder may bottom out before the flange is tight.

i havent started removing them yet. today is pb blaster soak and prep day. most likely a few will snap in the head, i seen a kit made by dorman that has 4 bolts and 4 studs but im not sure if they will fit. i will keep u guys posted and post pics of the project. i think the manifold is held in by 4 bolts and 4 studs with a bolt fastener. wish me luck guys . thanks for the reply, any one else having any additional info or helpful tips for me replacing the passanger manifold

Back