Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal Tips.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal Tips..

KillerB74

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi all, I just finished fixing up my exhaust start up put-put noise. The problem with broken studs is well documented on this site already. I created this post to document what tools and techniques I used for the repair. I did not document each individual step in the entire process but tried to focus on the studs themselves. Hopefully this will be helpful planning your repair.

Lessons (in case you don't read to the end!)
Lesson #1 - If one stud is missing, it is likely its mate is busted too, be prepared for this work.

Lesson #2 - You can remove engine mount bolts and lift the engine for a little extra clearance (18mm bolt). On the driver side I disconnected the steering shaft for more room.

Lesson #3 - Welding a nut to the stud did not work for me due to clearance, welding machine (120v mig) or maybe skill!

Lesson #4 - If buying a drill I highly recommend the Makita listed below. Awesome for tight quarters.

Lesson #5 - Don't waste money on cheap extractors or easy outs. Get a quality brand name. I had grief until I got dads proto easy outs.

Lesson #6 - If your 1\4" ratchet is missing when you are finished, it might be behind your battery! It rode their for two days before I found it!
8BEE7A86-A873-4B34-9024-3C27A31CC78D.jpg

My truck had broken studs on both sides. On the passenger side the two closest to the rear were broken flush with the head. On the driver side the two closest to the front were broken off.

On both sides the bottom stud on the port was missing but looked like the top stud was in place. The top one was busted as well once removal was attempted. One pulled out by fingers alone, the other took little pressure to fall off.

All other studs removed easily with basic hand tools. I was able to get the manifold out through the wheel well without jacking the engine.

B9DE8A9F-1A94-4930-8664-F36279CC75EE.jpg

Both of my manifolds were warped, quite badly. It was easy to see just by using a carpenters square. I had them both planed at a machine shop for $80 each.

Now, to get the studs out. All work was done through the wheel well as this offered the best access. Generally the passenger side was easier access, mainly because of the studs that were busted. To offer better tool clearance I removed the engine mount bolts and jacked the engine up on the side I was working on.

I tried the weld method of removal by welding a nut to the stud. With clearances and angles involved I was not able to get good weld penetration into the stud. After a few attempts I abandoned this method.

I went for the drill and extractor method. I was able to access two of them with a tight clearance drill but it was still too tight on the drivers side (behind strut tower). On another forum I found mention of this Makita drill.

4C1ECF66-77ED-4F21-A40A-C19BB5500370.jpg

846000B2-E58E-408A-8C0C-4440FFCD5D09.jpg

This is an awesome unit for this job on our trucks. It was very low clearance plus it has a deep head for accepting bits. I was able to buy one locally for $300, not cheap but cheaper than it taking it somewhere to get it done. If you attempt this job and plan on drilling, buy, beg, borrow or steal to get one of these! If you are in the Saskatoon area, I have one for rent!
Here is a pic showing the head dimension
15CC1675-5356-465C-9D0F-9F0A4B2E20D8.jpg

Now that I had the drill I picked up some LH drill bits. I did a pilot hole with a 3/32" bit and a final drill size of 5/32". I did not do anything fancy to center the bits. Just eyeballed a center and punched it the best I could. One stud I was really close to center and the other I was off, but was good enough.

I had bought a set of spiral extractors but could not get them to bite. I tried several things to get them to bite and they would just round off the flutes. That was when my dad (40 years of heavy duty experience) stopped in to see how it was going. He went home to get his experienced extractors. I took one of these and tapped it in.

D9B075F6-0476-499B-B20D-CE3023F278C0.jpg

I had those suckers out in a matter of minutes with a proper tool!

E1BC32E1-F24F-4503-BF51-47E4D60BD8E4.jpg

Installation was straight forward with installing the new studs, gaskets and nuts all from Ford. You can also see on my heat shield that I put washers under the bolts. The original heat shield pads had corroded.

21F6BFC1-FE66-46FE-B9E8-C6C10407247D.jpg

If there are any other questions just ask!
Thanks for reading :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job, killerB. Were the dealer studs any better quality than the original ones? Has anyone determined why this is such an issue on Explorers? Was this on a V6 or V8?

I apparently have an issue on the new to me 2006 V8. The driver's side has a putt putt for the first few seconds after starting in the morning. The seller stated he had the passenger side done.

Nice job, killerB. Were the dealer studs any better quality than the original ones? Has anyone determined why this is such an issue on Explorers? Was this on a V6 or V8?

I apparently have an issue on the new to me 2006 V8. The driver's side has a putt putt for the first few seconds after starting in the morning. The seller stated he had the passenger side done.

Mine is a V8. I believe they are an upgraded stud, they had a copper look to them, not sure if it is a plating or different alloy. Hopefully the manifold does not warp as much as before.

This is not isolated to explorers. It is common on F150 or basically any 4.6, 5.4, and even v10 engines. This is also common on some GM products.

:notworthy You have mad skills and infinite patience. Oh, and a nice drill now!

Awesome write up, but if mine gets unbearable, I'm heading to Brooklyn!

it helps when drilling to use a reverse drill bit, the cracked bolt sometimes will un-spin out with the reverse drill bit.

KillerB74-

did you do it on the 92 or 07 ?

I just did the exact same thing this weekend with the same drill haha. I had the problem on the last two studs on the passenger side. The top one was easy to get to, but it took me forever even with the angle grinder to get the bottom stud. But now I put it all back together and can hear the other side starting to act up....Well thats why they give me days off i guess haha

Who did your plane work? Aklands?

Thanes Big T and Prairie Engine Rebuilders. I highly recommend them, very fast and friendly service. I was initially told 2 days turn around when I dropped them off, which I was happy with. They called me 1 hour later while I was buying the drill and told me there was a free technician and that the work was complete!

......Hopefully the manifold does not warp as much as before.......

Maybe the manifold takes an initial warp, then stops moving around. Do you think it was the manifold warping that broke the studs? Or did the studs fail allowing the manifold to warp because it was not anchored down?

Also, do you have a lift or did you do on the ground? Which one was easier, the left or the right?

I just bought a 2006 V8 with 125K on it. The seller stated that he recently had the right side done and the short lived ticking on the left side indicated that it would need to be done as well.

Lastly, did you have any issues disconnecting the manifold from the exhaust pipe?

Maybe the manifold takes an initial warp, then stops moving around. Do you think it was the manifold warping that broke the studs? Or did the studs fail allowing the manifold to warp because it was not anchored down?

Also, do you have a lift or did you do on the ground? Which one was easier, the left or the right?

I just bought a 2006 V8 with 125K on it. The seller stated that he recently had the right side done and the short lived ticking on the left side indicated that it would need to be done as well.

Lastly, did you have any issues disconnecting the manifold from the exhaust pipe?

My opinion is that the manifold warped causing the studs to break. If the manifold stays flat, I don't know where the force would come from to break the studs.

I did this on the ground, supported by a jack stand. For the passenger side I removed the wheel and inner fender plastic panels. On the driver side, same thing but I also disconnected the steering shaft at the fire wall and took out the strut and hub to be able to work closer. With the suspension disassembled I noticed and replaced a leaking axle seal in the diff.

Ease of the job depends on which studs need to be removed. Ones towards the back of the engine offer easier access on both sides. As you move towards the front you get in behind the strut tower limiting tool access and visibility.

For disconnecting the exhaust I just crawled underneath with an impact, extensions, swivel and socket. A little awkward reaching the top nut but it only took a few minutes to remove both nuts.

Thanks KillerB74, great tips.

Good info. I've had to do this a couple of times. It's no fun.

Yeah, thanks for the info!!!

I have at least 2 broken and they're on the pass side, right at the front . . . and as you said, right behind the strut tower. Any suggestions there?

Back