• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Piping Question!!

bdt115

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Okay, Im soon going to cut off my stock muffler and put on glasspacks. The glasspacks have a 2 1/2" inlet but the stock piping is 2 1/4". I need to know how to make that fit. What size adapter should i buy?...i need inlet and outlet sizes on the adapter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 2 1/4'' inlet and 2 1/2 outlet adapter.....? :confused:

Okay, Im soon going to cut off my stock muffler and put on glasspacks. The glasspacks have a 2 1/2" inlet but the stock piping is 2 1/4". I need to know how to make that fit. What size adapter should i buy?...i need inlet and outlet sizes on the adapter.

did you ever get this done? your running dual glasspacks? i thaught about doing this myself. what did you do for tailpipes?

i cut off the muffler and put on the glasspacks where the muffler was and ran duals out the same side in front of the tire...only had little 8 inch glasspacks

You can run a 24" glasspack with an 18" body.

What you will need is a y-pipe from the catalytic to the muffler, then a 2.5" mid-pipe will fit after the muffler.

My "home made" or "self engineered" catback exhaust system started off with cutting off and removing everything from the 3 bolt flange that meets the catalytic converters. A Magnaflow Y-Pipe (part no 10758) was welded onto the mounting plate. The y-pipe is a dual 2.25" inlet to a single 2.5" outlet. This was followed by a Holley Flowtech Red Hots Glass Pack Muffler (PART #: 50252FLT). The exhaust exits through a 2.5" Walker Exhaust 46909 Dynomax Intermediate Pipe.

31MRYCB81YL._SS500_.jpg

large50250FLT.jpg

21NDLMojd4L._SS500_.jpg

ange_to_y_pipe_2.jpg

glasspack.jpg

Back