• Register Today It's free!

exhaust questions

HotKarl11

Reaction score
City, State
Cadillac
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
my ex just got in an a fender bender and it did some work to my exhaust which is my excuse for getting new stuff done to it... i have an 02 xlt with the 4.0 and i just want it to sound like a V8. what muffler should i get and what size of pipes come stock cuz i dont want to remove any cats... just yet..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no matter what you do it won't sound like a V8, sorry.

Best advice, 2.5" pipes and a flowmaster 40 series.

I will second the flowmaster 40 if you want it to be loud. I have a v8 and just installed the 14" body magnaflow muffler and I love it but its a much deeper tone than the flowmaster 40. I bought it more for more performance but it sounds really good, although I dont like rediculously loud exhauast.

I've heard both the v6 and v8 with flowmasters, and they sound VERY close.
The v8 has a slighter deep tone, but its really not that noticeable on the exploders or mountys.

hell you can even get a v6 mustang to sound like a GT with cylinder head porting,intakes, camset,ECU tune, longtubes and some straight Duals.

I own both a v6 and v8....and unless your willing to do some deeper engine work, it's not going to get that aggresive v8 sound.

Check out Caldwell, he did a 2.5 exhaust with flowmaster 40. Has some soundclips up.

thanks

LIMITED :thumbsup:

i think i can help you here fella... i have 2 clips...

both clips i am using a FLOWMASTER " DELTA FLOW " 40 SERIES MUFFLER...

also both clips ***DO NOT*** include my recently added " CAI ", which made it sound a tiny bit more aggressive...

i will post them both when i can find them in my computer - have them posted in a few...

thanks that is the sound that im looking for!!

I've heard both the v6 and v8 with flowmasters, and they sound VERY close.
The v8 has a slighter deep tone, but its really not that noticeable on the exploders or mountys.

hell you can even get a v6 mustang to sound like a GT with cylinder head porting,intakes, camset,ECU tune, longtubes and some straight Duals.

I own both a v6 and v8....and unless your willing to do some deeper engine work, it's not going to get that aggresive v8 sound.

Umm... no. They will sound nothing alike - sorry. It' an extremely noticeable difference. Apples to oranges. But, whatever floats your boat.

At idle they are pretty damn close. Dead giveaway is when you rev it up. I saw a video that had a 3.8 V6 stang that was built with a nasty cam and it did almost sound like a V8when ideling or revving. It sounded very good for a V6!!!

At idle they are pretty damn close. Dead giveaway is when you rev it up. I saw a video that had a 3.8 V6 stang that was built with a nasty cam and it did almost sound like a V8when ideling or revving. It sounded very good for a V6!!!

Sounding "very good" is subjective. If you heart the way your car (or anyone else's) sounds, great for you. The dead giveaway is apparent at startup, idle, and all over the rev-range personally. Maybe it's my age (38) and the fact that I've owned numerous V8, V6 and I4 and H4 cars including muscle cars. I can listen to Youtube and in-person examples all day... I see numerous threads rejoicing how folks' sixes "sound" like 8's. I'm in complete disagreement - yes I've heard them. I think I'm living in an alternate universe sometimes.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteFO7WFzVc

this clip is just the muffler w/ stock pipe...

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ah6ZC4GPE

this clip is my current exhaust...

- 3rd cat removed / 2.5'' pipe / FM 40 / 3'' tip

***** i will post another clip w/ my INTAKE/EXHAUST COMBO...

Did you just cut the cats out and replace with pipe? Any check engine lights? I know on Mustangs and my Marauder, there is an o2 sensor behind the cat that senses back pressure and will turn the MIL on if there is not enough.

no matter what you do it won't sound like a V8, sorry.

Best advice, 2.5" pipes and a flowmaster 40 series.

I second this. It won't sound like a V8 but most people can't tell the difference. Anyone here could but, obviously, a lot of people don't have a trained ear. To most people, louder = must be a V8. I have that exact setup ^ and people mistake it for a V8 all the time.

I have an 03 mounty V8 with exhaust and CAI.

I cut the third cat, then put a magnaflow.. and I have the K&N intake.

It sounds like a beast and it pops so nice when you rev it up.

Ive been meaning to record it but havent gotten around to it. Once I do some more engine work I'm gonna put dual magnaflow.

as far as making it sound like a V8.. it would take some cams and what not, as everyone has said.

Sounding "very good" is subjective. If you heart the way your car (or anyone else's) sounds, great for you. The dead giveaway is apparent at startup, idle, and all over the rev-range personally. Maybe it's my age (38) and the fact that I've owned numerous V8, V6 and I4 and H4 cars including muscle cars. I can listen to Youtube and in-person examples all day... I see numerous threads rejoicing how folks' sixes "sound" like 8's. I'm in complete disagreement - yes I've heard them. I think I'm living in an alternate universe sometimes.

I'm right there with ya. I even hate when manufacturers (Cough Eddlebrock Cough) claim their exhaust setup, or "performance" kit will make your car sound like a V8. The V6 at startup sounds nothing like the 8, at idle it's quite close, but once u hit the pedal the sound isn't even close.

This is not to say you can't make sixes sound good, they just won't get the grunt/agressiveness that a V8 gives you.

I have an 03 mounty V8 with exhaust and CAI.

I cut the third cat, then put a magnaflow.. and I have the K&N intake.

It sounds like a beast and it pops so nice when you rev it up.

Ive been meaning to record it but havent gotten around to it. Once I do some more engine work I'm gonna put dual magnaflow.

as far as making it sound like a V8.. it would take some cams and what not, as everyone has said.

is it legal to cut out the third cat? i kinda want to do it. i already have a magnaflow but id like to make it louder or do i need the cat to pass emmissions etc?

is it legal to cut out the third cat? i kinda want to do it. i already have a magnaflow but id like to make it louder or do i need the cat to pass emmissions etc?

I'm wondering the same thing... not really the legality, but the passing the OBDII sensor test in NYS. BTW, in NYS at least, it is illegal to modify any part of the emissions systems - so there's your answer somewhat. I would imagine it's the same situation in most states.

BTW, my Subaru had 3 cats too. I went to 2 and have a turbo back exhaust. Passes with no issues in NYS so I'm somewhat encouraged.

I'm wondering the same thing... not really the legality, but the passing the OBDII sensor test in NYS. BTW, in NYS at least, it is illegal to modify any part of the emissions systems - so there's your answer somewhat. I would imagine it's the same situation in most states.

BTW, my Subaru had 3 cats too. I went to 2 and have a turbo back exhaust. Passes with no issues in NYS so I'm somewhat encouraged.

iirc the last o2 sensor is before the third cat. Worst case scenario, hollow out the cat so it doesn't set off any codes and it visually looks like it's there.

SubLo,

Welcome to the Alternate Universe! I'm 48 so I set up shop there quite some time ago.;) My question is specific to the following audio/video file:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteFO7WFzVc

this clip is just the muffler w/ stock pipe...

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ah6ZC4GPE

this clip is my current exhaust...

- 3rd cat removed / 2.5'' pipe / FM 40 / 3'' tip
Is the sound of that video generally qualitatively representative of the in person sound? For example, are there harmonics beyond the limited frequency range of the recording that substantially make the sound "annoying"? As you aptly noted, this is all subjective but if you've heard the actual setup above, I'd appreciate your take.

Our 1999 4.0 SOHC Mountaineer is my Range Ride (Long gun & pistol), my wife's Garden Machine, and our Canine Limousine for taking our Dogs out to ravage the countryside and strike terror into the hearts of the peasants. It's strictly used for recreational and utility type tasks, or driving around in the winter with windows down, the heater cranked up, and the stereo blasting Dinosaur Rock or Disturbed :cool: (It's obvious their mothers weren't wearing headphones on their tummies playing The Bee Gees during pregnancy). No commuting, no freeway road trips, etc. We each have an Escalade as our primary driver, so when we're looking for serene cruising we've got 6.0 Litres of V8 whipped butter.

The Mounty's exhaust system is starting to exhale from a few non factory 'ports' so I'll need to do something eventually. I don't want it to sound like I'm some rice nozzle, but adding a little "coarseness around the edges" would be in keeping with the 30x9.5 15s on black steel wheels
(The ubiquitous ones with a red stripe and a blue stripe around the wheel lip. Is there a standard term used by wheelers to describe those?)

So, my focus is NOT to make a 2 cycle weed whacker sound like a CTS-V, but neither do I want to drop enough back pressure to castrate the engine and send the Check Engine Light into christmas tree mode, or whack out the air/fuel/trans commands from the computer. Naturally whatever I have done, I've got a solid 4Wheel/Offroad company locally, it will be at least from the cat back. Any suggestions you might have based on the above parameters would be sincerely appreciated.

I haven't posted any pictures because it's just a Dark Blue Mountaineer with Silver/Grey below the door trim and the aforementioned wheels/tires. Now if it had a turret mounted MaDeuce, that would be post worthy :D! A MK-19 would be pretty cool too, but area weapons systems are just so darn cumbersome in suburban AOs, and Lockheed Martin's Hellfire compatible systems are way too rich for my budget. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, first of all, I respect anybody that spends time on their vehicle, and earns a few scrpaed knuckles in the process. HOWEVER, due to the fact that, IMHO, a V6 will always sound like a V6 (idle rumble aside, once you rev it, the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound will always be there!), due to the fact that 2 X 4 cylinder banks simply create a much more complex waveform than 2 X 3, as well as differences in firing order.

ANYWAY, I installed a 17748 Dynomax ($60), which sounds very hollow and throaty, but not annoyingly "V6" or ricey. The idle is very nice, but a hard rev doesn't create a tinny or BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR type of rice sound.

Also, performace is an issue. Don't forget about the Ford's EG sensing of the backpressure- don't make it flow too much- the V6 doesn't need it, or want it, wide open. The Dynomax has some backpressure, but flows 100% better than stock.

To each his own, but a wide open exhaust just sounds a little silly on a V6- and doesn't get you much in the seat of the pants...

Back