exhaust questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust questions

Also, performace is an issue. Don't forget about the Ford's EG sensing of the backpressure- don't make it flow too much- the V6 doesn't need it, or want it, wide open. The Dynomax has some backpressure, but flows 100% better than stock.

To each his own, but a wide open exhaust just sounds a little silly on a V6- and doesn't get you much in the seat of the pants...

Thanks for the input BorderChris!
1)Are there any aluminum components you'd recommend? We'll keep the Mounty until the body's gone and it's just firewall, folding chair, and drivetrain on a frame. I'm way out of date on exhaust system options currently on the market. The last time I was up to speed was in 1985, when I bolted an HKS straight through cat-back on my '85 Mitsubishi Starion. The Turbo ensured the downstream plumbing wouldn't have unanticipated adverse effects. I'm under the impression that Borla currently produces solid product, but haven't heard much from the Explorer/Mountaineer community regarding them.

2)I don't expect a discernable performance increase, but as hardware replacement is inevitable I want to have my homework done vis a vis an OEM stock replacement.

3)Also, I forgot to solicit opinions on build quality and long term longevity of any specific products people suggest.

I would buy

a) the muffler (Dynomax 17748) - Summit is cheapest
2) a nice, 3" stainless steel tip

Have a good shop cut and weld a side angle onto the stock pipe, taking care not to have hard bends in it, and the 17748, due to its offest 2 1/2 specs, will weld in with a minimum of fuss- you will need about 10 inches of 3 to 2 1/2 inch head pipe, from the factory Y joint to the muffler.

Good luck, and you'll love the sound. I've had mine for 3 years now, no issues. Just be sure to weld and not clamp.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I've been looking for sound clips from the inside of the truck. I like a little rumble outside but I don't want to it to annoy the crap out of me and the other passengers.

Back