• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust

Wombly248

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Hello, I have two questions that I've been searching for the past 3 hours.

1) What is the Inlet size of the exhaust on a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L?
***I know the outlet size is 2 1/4" O.D.****

2) What are some viable options available for headers other than Torque Monsters, I would be totally up for purchasing TMH except for the fact that it seems like the business is declining and the purchase option is on hold.

I know that Ford has made some "Racing" headers, but how good are these other than their poor quality? Asking if they're at least some what better than stock...

Thank you for the help!

-All I have ATM is the MAC CAI, ready to start upgrading parts-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From everything I have collected on information about the 5.0 headers is that the flow data on them do a fantastic job even on the performance end for these Explorers/Mountaineers. It is the remainder of the exhaust that can benefit from an upgrade. Many of the F-150 and Mustang guys will order headers from these Exp/Mountys for theirs. I looked into this a long while back when I had my 5.0 Expl and was surprised. But looking at the headers themselves, I could see why!

For which set of headers? Stock headers?

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but Midwest Dually, I'd like to hear more. You piqued my interest with an opposing viewpoint to the majority of exhaust threads on here.

Please, go on!

Kevlar, there are no other header options anymore, the ford racing headers that used to be available sucked. None of the headers that fit mustangs fit the explorer. The torque monsters are available again as well.

It sounded like he was saying that the stock ones were good. That's what I wanted to hear.

Nah, the stock manifolds suck. Plus, they are really prone to crack. Exhaust upgrades don't do much aside from adding sound. The stock cat pipes flow better than the stock manifolds. The TMs really make a big difference. I don't think he was talking about stock manifolds when he said that. Stock, these trucks don't have headers. Generally when one is talking about headers, they are talking about tubular manifolds with multiple primaries.

Find,

I know your opinion, and it matches everyone else's...except his. I like to hear different view points, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

What say you let him speak for himself if he's still around?

Find,

I know your opinion, and it matches everyone else's...except his. I like to hear different view points, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

What say you let him speak for himself if he's still around?

x2

It doesn't appear he gave a different opinion... more like you misunderstood what he was saying. He still visits the forum regularly, I suggest PMing him if you want an answer sooner. Mustang guys do not switch out their manifolds for stock explorer manifolds. Other than the fact that their factory exhaust wouldn't line up, and neither would any aftermarket exhaust components, they also have a better flowing manifold, and the cast iron HIPO manifolds are readily available, as are a bazillion and a half cheap header options. The frame differences and collector locations between mustangs and explorers are the reason you can't use mustang headers on an Explorer. Wombly was the one who asked if he was talking about the stock manifolds. MidwestDually was talking about headers, though, I am not sure what he was talking about with mustang guys using Explorer headers... sure, they love the GT40 heads and intake manifolds... but the exhaust... no. Search a mustang board if you want to verify.

So what now, should I make a post asking you not to post anymore just because you weren't responding the way I wanted?

Also, there is a difference between opinions and observations. Opinions are subjective.

Ok, how about a fact to base your own opinion on.

The #3 exhaust port on the stock headers measures 3/4" x 3/4" . You can barely pass a thumb into it.

The rest are about 1"x1". They suck for flow. Let me find a picture of the ports.

Edit-
Here is a picture of a commonly broken header. You can see how pinched down the 2 left ports are--now allow for 1/8" of piping and I think you get the idea.

attachment.php

Back