Explorer 2008 XLT 4.6L tyre change question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2008 XLT 4.6L tyre change question

fridayshoes

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2008
If the front tyres need changing do I need to change the rears too? the tread depth on the rear is still good (around 6-7mm).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it 2wd, 4wd, awd ?

So, it is a 4 wheel drive (4WD). That means that if you have 1 set of tires with significantly more tread than the others (larger diameter) you run the risk of driveline binding when the front driveline automatically engages when it detects wheel slippage. It has also been known to cause erratic driveline behavior as documented in the TSB for the 06-08 4WD models (has to do with the RSC system thinking that it is detecting wheel slippage because one set of tires is rotating at a different rate than the other). Running different tire diameters on the front and rear, in this situation, can cause significant damage to the driveline.

Thanks for the information,

I did some extra research and phoned the main Ford dealers in London UK and New York USA. Both said there was not a problem changing only two tyres at a time.

I also checked the Explorer user manual. The information about the 4x4 auto mode isn't explained very well as to what happens with the wheels (4x4 Hi and 4x4 Lo is explained okay though). The user manual also mentions nothing about tyre changing procedure which if it is as important as everyone is saying surely this would be in big red writing in the guide.

Friday, the TSB that I am referring to is #08-21-11. You might want to read it over just for your information. Not trying to tell you what to do, just letting you know that there may be issues associated with going that route. Good Luck.

Friday, the TSB that I am referring to is #08-21-11. You might want to read it over just for your information. Not trying to tell you what to do, just letting you know that there may be issues associated with going that route. Good Luck.
Do you have a link to the TSB (what does that stand for anyway?)

Thanks

TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Select this link: http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
and put in your make, model, and year. Then under system select drive axles and hit search. The third link from the top is the one that you want that starts with the title, "4 wheel drive/All wheel drive..."

Thanks, will see if my tire circumferences are within the 1/2 inch (12.5mm) specs they recommend.

Back