Explorer 2014 XLT gas consumption

alex101

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT 2014
Hi Guys,

I have Ford Explorer 2014 XLT, 220K km, regularly maintained.
Last year I had check engine light and dealer replaced one of the sensors.
Spart plugs and intake manifold gasket were replaced as well.
Since then I noticed that it started to consume more gas.
It used to be 10L / 100km (23.5 mpg) and now it is 13L / 100 km ( 18 mpg).
This is quite a bit of increase in $$$ - actually it is almost $4500 / year increase per 70K km we plan to drive this year.
Is this normal or should I try to get a better mileage from my car?

What can be done to reduce fuel consumption?

There are few suggestions I've heard:
1. Check compression in each cylinder to make sure it is correct
2. Check oil and air filters and replace them (done)
3. Check transmission fluid and replace it if necessary
4. Replace two air sensors

What do you think?
What should I do in this situation ?
Anything else can be done to reduce gas consumption ?
What's your typical consumption in city + highway ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Alex. I just went back into my account at Fuelly.com and see that my 2011 Limited averaged 12.1 L/100 km over the 8052.7 km that were recorded. My current 2017 Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost is averaging 13.1 tracked over 7034.0 km. which is about what you're getting now. Based on what I was getting with the 2011 the 10L/100 seems to be too good to believe. How are you calculating the mileage? By the readout in the dash or pencil and paper? The readout is overly generous.
Transmission fluid should be changed at 240k according to the Manual. Were your spark plugs properly gapped when installed? Has the PTU fluid ever been changed?
Have you read these threads?
Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost
How to get better Gas Mileage?

Peter

I calculate mileage by reading it from dashboard. :)
Understood about transmission fluid.
I am not sure if they were properly gapped or not.
I can ask during next maintenance to check this.
Also I noticed that one maintenance ago there were writing on the check list "Evidence of coolant leakage", but nobody told us anything.
I guess I need to ask them to double check this again.

I added links to my post while you replied. In going by the readout, your mpg figures will be better than what they actually are. When I enter my stats on www.fuelly.com , the result is always lower than what the readout shows. It has been the same (lower) for the 3 vehicles I have on file.

Peter

Those spark plugs have to be pretty well shot after 220k. Change those, and other fluids like transmission, etc.

Changing trans fluid is needed for transmission longevity but will not improve gas mileage. Also a clean air filter will not improve fuel mileage, performance maybe but not fuel economy. The easiest way to check if anything is askew is to get a data stream scanner that will provide fuel trim. They are not expensive, $150 which is about what one hour of diagnostics at a dealer costs.

Those spark plugs have to be pretty well shot after 220k. Change those, and other fluids like transmission, etc.
In his post he mentioned that the plugs were changed last year.

^ Thanks Peter, misread.

Just for comparison, my 2014 X:T, with 103k miles, gets 20-23 MPG. I have reset the dashboard twice since I got it two months ago. I drive a lot of hills, but also most of my driving is between 45 & 60 mph with few stops / little in-town driving. Twice I have hauled 1/2 ton (in the bed, not towed) in tow/haul mode and the MPG pretty much stayed in the same range.

Just for comparison, my 2014 X:T, with 103k miles, gets 20-23 MPG. I have reset the dashboard twice since I got it two months ago. I drive a lot of hills, but also most of my driving is between 45 & 60 mph with few stops / little in-town driving. Twice I have hauled 1/2 ton (in the bed, not towed) in tow/haul mode and the MPG pretty much stayed in the same range.
As I mentioned in my post in this thread, if you are going by the average mpg displayed on the dash then you are actually getting less than what it shows. The instant MPG figure has been shown to be overly generous. Perhaps 18-21 might be more accurate.

Peter

As I mentioned in my post in this thread, if you are going by the average mpg displayed on the dash then you are actually getting less than what it shows. The instant MPG figure has been shown to be overly generous. Perhaps 18-21 might be more accurate.

Peter

I will go with that - however, that is what he is using, so it is apples to apples *regardless of accuracy). Assuming of course, that both of ours are set to approximately the same generosity. It would mean absolutely nothing if I gave him my calculated values.

Back