Explorer 2nd row console install | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

Did anyone find out if there's a structural difference between the DB and GB consoles?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The DB has been discontinued. The 2016 Explorer was a 'refresh' model year but I don't know how much that affected the interior. The GB does not show pre-2016 Explorers in the "fitment" list.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks
Hi. If you look back on this thread you'll find a fairly extensive review I posted earlier this year.
I have a 2017 Platinum and had the exact same question when looking to add the console.

The only key is this. What color trim thread does your front console and seats have?

The base is exactly the same. But the call out P/N will be different for each thread color ie: Black, Red, Rust, Pebble

Hope that helps...and by the way very easy to install. Even taking my time took less than an hour with minimal requirements for tools.
Thanks yeah looks really easy. This is our errand and misc vehicle, as our long-hauler is a 14 Armada and not sure if we really need it or not. Not too worried about matching the stitching, I guess from a junkyard there's a 25% chance of getting the right one!
And what floormats do you have?

Going by the front liners, they seem to be the Ford OEM all-weather liners.

Peter

Did anyone find out if there's a structural difference between the DB and GB consoles?

Edit: From re-reading it looks like there isn't. We may do this for ours but am not sure it's worth $400. I bet some junk yards would have some in decent condition.
Hi. I'm from Ukraine and own 2016 Platinum. This guy gave very extensive answer to your question Explorer 2nd row console install

Also, remember, you still have an option to install the same console with refrigerator ( it was installed in Ford Flex somewhere between 2011-2014 years). It is exactly the same console but with the fridge. More I explain here : Консоль заднего ряда с холодильником подключена и установлена — Ford Explorer, 3.5 л., 2016 года на DRIVE2 -- jus use the web translation.

I purchased Weathertech Liners, and a Ford OEM cargo liner.

Only issue with the floor liners, I wish Weathertech would have engineered them to extend up for the floor panel and wrap over the top of the thresh hold vs just stopping at the break-over point. That way the carpet would be better protected in that area from slush and other debris when entering the rig.

It appears that Husky Liners are constructed in that manner. Both are priced about the same.

I purchased Weathertech Liners, and a Ford OEM cargo liner.

Only issue with the floor liners, I wish Weathertech would have engineered them to extend up for the floor panel and wrap over the top of the thresh hold vs just stopping at the break-over point. That way the carpet would be better protected in that area from slush and other debris when entering the rig.

It appears that Husky Liners are constructed in that manner. Both are priced about the same.
Yes. you are right regarding Husky. I have them in my Explorer and they cover thresh hold very well. That difference made me purchase Husky instead of Weathertech.

Yes. you are right regarding Husky. I have them in my Explorer and they cover thresh hold very well. That difference made me purchase Husky instead of Weathertech.
I believe the Husky liners also cover more of the 'Dead pedal' and have a higher lip/wall all around.

Peter

Hi. I'm from Ukraine and own 2016 Platinum. This guy gave very extensive answer to your question Explorer 2nd row console install

Also, remember, you still have an option to install the same console with refrigerator ( it was installed in Ford Flex somewhere between 2011-2014 years). It is exactly the same console but with the fridge. More I explain here : Консоль заднего ряда с холодильником подключена и установлена — Ford Explorer, 3.5 л., 2016 года на DRIVE2 -- jus use the web translation.
Great job with that, I never knew there was a fridge option. This is my first Ford since I bought my Cobra back in college in 99 so I guess there's alot I don't know these days. 😁

Great job with that, I never knew there was a fridge option. This is my first Ford since I bought my Cobra back in college in 99 so I guess there's alot I don't know these days. 😁

Peter

Thanks

Thanks yeah looks really easy. This is our errand and misc vehicle, as our long-hauler is a 14 Armada and not sure if we really need it or not. Not too worried about matching the stitching, I guess from a junkyard there's a 25% chance of getting the right one!
And what floormats do you have?
Say, I sent a guy your way who has a used console. I worked with him to buy for myself but shipping was too much. Good luck.

Thanks mate :chug:

Back