Explorer 98 body swap -> 01 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 98 body swap -> 01

Clisse

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi

In denmark where i live, we have extremely high taxes on cars. 180% on an new car to be exact. Therefor i am thinking off exchanging the body on my 98 Explorer XLT to a faceliftede 01, instead of bying another newer Explorer and pay the taxes on that one also..

I have to check up on rules regarding this swap also, but i believe it is okay, aslong i dont exchange the frame.

Does anybody know about such a swap. Will i be a direct bolt on exchange, or is there a lot of changes between the two models.

My plan was to reuse engine and transmission from my own Explorer, but not nessecaly.

I hope someone can give some answers, idears, pros and cons.

Best regards
Claus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll probably cost you more to buy the body and have it put on than what the taxes will cost. And if the VIN number is checked it'll obviously tell the actual year of the Explorer. I wouldn't do it if I was you.

I will check up on the rules regarding this. I dont want make such a swap, if i am having problems at the MOT every 2 years.

A 01 Explorer will cost around 20000 USD incl. taxes.
I can get a 01 Explorer from Sweden or Germany without taxes in a nice condition to aprox. 3800 USD.

I can do the swap my self, so if is legal, it will defintly be affordable.

- Claus

Welcome To The Forum! I wouldn't think the body mounts would be any different being that the vehicle is about the same just different body lines and different front and slightly different rear other than that its the same size as the 91-00 Sports. Someone here may know the measurement distances from body mount to body mount so that you could go out to your truck and measure to be sure its the same.

why not just trade the front clip?

the body is identical from 98-01 other than the front clip and maybe the roof rack and maybe the tali lights, but the tail lights should be exchangeable

Tail lights are not so exchangeable I looked at them before and I noticed a difference in the shape.

Thanks for all your replies.

I can see your point, but is it mostly because of the paint color, the (i hope) darker interior, leather, heated seats, mirror memory, bumpers, climate.

I think its much nicer in black, then the green/grey paint.

I could go for paint job, but it will be a big job, to take everything apart, and i dont get all the other equipment.

My Explorer is started its life in demark as a van, without seats in the back, so im not really sure if is missing some heater controls or anything else in the back.

- Claus

Back