Need info or writeup on 95-97 to 98-01 liftgate swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need info or writeup on 95-97 to 98-01 liftgate swap

FPGT24

Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers
Reaction score
City, State
Taneytown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 97 XLT I want to swap over to the 98-01 liftgate. I'm aware that the license plate lights will need re-routed to the liftgate but I'm not sure of how to do anything else. I have found a mint black liftgate on a 98 explorer at the local you pull it. i have the key to this liftgate and it works i was able to get it open. My explorer is dark lapis, which was a color discontinued at the end of 97. They did have a couple Deep Wedgewood blue Explorers there which is the closest to dark lapis, but either the liftgates were locked and there was no key to open it, or the key for the ignition wouldnt open the liftgate. and in 98, ford removed the liftgate lock on the inside so you cant manually unlock it like the 95-97's. anyone know how to manually unlock them? cuz id rather have the deep wedgewood than a black liftgate.

Things I need to know are:

specific tools i need to remove 98-01 liftgate off junkyard Explorer

how to remove the liftgate off the junkyard explorer

how to install the liftgate onto my 97

I also need to know how to re-route the license plate wires to the 98-01 liftgate. And lastly, i need to know if i MUST get the 98-01 bumper and swap it onto my 97, or if i can keep the stock bumper. I dont want to swap bumpers too much work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on guys...someone has to know about this...

I dont get the question.

Are they not both Gen 2's?

I thought 95 to 01 were the same lift gate.

1998 got a redesigned lift gate. Use the search function, I've seen 1 or 2 people do this. I think the bumpers are the same. As to how to remove it, look. Theres some hinges at the top and struts, also don't forget to disconnect the wire.
Keys is a different story...

You will need 98-01 taillamps. You should only need basic mechanics hand tools to do the swap (ratchet, socket set, screwdrivers, etc.)

There are many threads on this.

can someone send me one of the threads on here please? i found like 3 but there was no detailed info.

It's not all that really difficult. It's 4 bolts, the lift shocks and some wiring, that taps in under the headliner. Like every one else said, you'll also need to switch tail lights.

did you not find any info back in march when you asked how to swap from a 98 and up gate, to a 97 and down gate?

did you not find any info back in march when you asked how to swap from a 98 and up gate, to a 97 and down gate?

Not really. I dont like the 95-97 gate anymore the 98-01 grew on me.

im shocked that no one has ever done a write up on this. i still havent found one.

just do it already. probably no ones bothered to write it up because it's so straight forward.

You need a phillips screwdriver to remove the tail lights, a flat tip screwdriver and a 10 mm wrench to remove the lift gate and struts. 2 bolts on each hinge, struts pop off, wiring harness unplugs. If you don't normally have those tools with you when you go to a pick and pull, you have no business being there.

I would say do a write-up, but in the time it takes to take a picture to show how, you can have the lift gate off. The reason no one has done a write-up is because it is really simple if you just do it. You will see the bolts that need to come off if you look at the hinges, you can see the clip that holds the struts, and other than the tail light, nothing else needs changed. Have an extra pair of hands to hold it and help you carry it. They aren't all that heavy, but they are bulky.

Yes the parts swap out easy but the wiring is a pain. Im busy moving right now but maybe next week I'll share what I ran into and how I fixed it but I can tell you its not plug and play. Mine was on a 97 sport with a 99 gate.

Yeah, you are right, you need to bring in your wiring for the license plate lamps. Easiest way to do it? Swap in the wiring from your old tailgate then add a wire for the license plate lamps. You could also take a foot of the newer liftgates harness on the chassis side and just connect your wires so you use only the OEM plug.

The reason no one has done a write-up is because it is really simple if you just do it.

I'm glad you finally gave him info on what to do. Seriously. I mean, yeah, it might be the simplest thing in the world to some of us, but he wasn't sure. I was gonna go crazy if I saw many more people saying "it's easy just do it." Gosh dang guys, everyone starts as a "noob" (no offense OP) and we work our way up. I've been a member for almost a year and lurked for a year or so before that, and I know for sure I'm not an expert on this stuff and there are still basic things I find out all the time. For example, until yesterday I didn't know that there were two different UCA styles for the passenger side. I've been told how to change out my wheel bearings multiple times and read up on it, but I still haven't done it and am nervous that I'll mess up. This member for some reason wanted to be very sure about what he was doing before he started, so please be nice to him. I'd rather someone go overboard on asking questions once and have the info available to everyone, than a ton of people ask the same question and get the same "It's easy just do it" bull crap. And if someone asks the same question just tell them what to search for. Like some good keywords for it. It'll teach new members how to use the search. Most people on here are really nice, but sometimes there isn't a warm welcome at all to new members who really need help on something.

Well, that was a fun rant. Hopefully OP can figure out what to do. And FIND, this isn't against you directly at all, you did actually helped the guy which I thank you for, plus you help all the time on the forum and I see your posts a lot. I think you've helped me a few times actually.

Another example about learning new stuff every day, Dono didn't realize there was a restyling of the liftgates.

Yea I just used tapcons for the brake light and tapped into the harness inside the jack compartment ran wires up the pillar and across the headliner then the fun part was fishing the wires through the harness and boot down into the tailgate ..I also had to move pins around for the wiper witch actually works and dont forget the tag lights :) if it helps an easy place to tie into is the plug that's in the space below the driver side taillight with a trailer light harness t plug.

Another example about learning new stuff every day, Dono didn't realize there was a restyling of the liftgates.

Exactly. I can be a bit slow sometimes.

Id still like to see someone get the rear wiper working after installing a gen3 lift gate on a gen 2.

I hate the wiper on gen 2's. The fact that I bent mine up(And the gate its self) by not pulling my truck far enough in to the garage and the garage door hitting it didn't help.

I think the gen 3 design's way better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back