Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Any 2nd fix success

I am getting ready to take my EX back in to repair the passenger side A-pillar rattle for the second time. Has anyone done this? Has it been successful?
Did they do something different?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This post is very timely. I just picked up my 2011 Limited last week and the A pillar trim was not there! When I walked into the dealership to pick it up the sales person greeted me and then immediately said, "We have a slight issue.." We got to the vehicle and pointing to the A pillar said "The trim came off while we were washing it."

Nice.

I drove the vehicle home without the trim as they had none in stock and my purchase was at a dealership in Austin, 200 miles from my home.

Talk about wind noise.

I'm visiting the local dealer today to give them a look at it and to get the part ordered.

I am getting ready to take my EX back in to repair the passenger side A-pillar rattle for the second time. Has anyone done this? Has it been successful?
Did they do something different?

Thanks

Had mine replaced for the second time about a week and a half ago. The tech said he could see on the old one where air could get in. Two days ago had to make a 4 hour round trip, on the interstate going 80, and all is well for now did not hear any noise. Parts look the same.

Not all dealers will make you reproduce the noise. My dealer actually just takes my word on issues and fixes them without questioning it. I've had my passenger apillar replaced twice now and so far so good.

...Cory is assiting me with this and I hope it will get resolved without multiple trips to the dealer.

2011 Limited
I’m glad I can help, 757driver. :)

I did some driving tonight on the state highways near me (and the dealer) and I couldn't repro the problem at 60, so it will have to be the interstate. Given that I'd have to convince the dealer to let me take them 15 minutes just to get there, I think I'll delay working on this issue for now. I still have to go register my new Explorer and can't devote a lot of time to this right now.

I'll wait and see what FordCustSrvc says tomorrow. Perhaps there will be a TSB on this in the future and will save me some trouble.
mfischer2,
Did you have a chance to speak with Customer Service yet? I can also be of assistance, by escalating your concern, if you’d like to send me your information via private message. So I can do this, please PM me your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info.

Cory

I think I have both the rattle and the windshield noise. Windshield noise is noticeable just when driving on the freeway, however yesterday I kept hearing a rattle that sounded like the dash, but I couldn't quite locate it.

Of course all this on top of the MFT debacle. 2 restarts today alone!

I have the whistle as well. Same symptoms as those previously mentioned. I had the A-Pillars replaced and I thought it fixed it but the whistle is back. So annoying. I guess I have to take it back to the dealer for the third time for this issue.

On a side note, I had the MFT upgraded to 2.11 at the same time my A-Pillars were replaced. This weekend it crashed on me twice.

Had mine replaced for the second time about a week and a half ago. The tech said he could see on the old one where air could get in. Two days ago had to make a 4 hour round trip, on the interstate going 80, and all is well for now did not hear any noise. Parts look the same.

Thanks for the feedback. It provides optimism.

If it starts up again use rtv sealer as I posted earlier it fixes it.

You would think Ford would have a perm. fix via the TSB, by now.

Drove into the U/G lot at work, while going over a speed bump at max 5 MPH I heard a sound like plastic hitting the ground. Got out to find the A-Pillar appliqué had completely come off and was laying on the ground.

Nice!

Now its scratched.

Driving home the A-Pillar buzz is full on.....sounds like a bee stuck inside the pillar.

Hope the TSB covers a new appliqué

Drove into the U/G lot at work, while going over a speed bump at max 5 MPH I heard a sound like plastic hitting the ground. Got out to find the A-Pillar appliqué had completely come off and was laying on the ground.

Nice!

Now its scratched.

Driving home the A-Pillar buzz is full on.....sounds like a bee stuck inside the pillar.

In my case (see above post) dealer told me they can't reuse the part and have to supply a new one, which of course is not a stocked item. The dealer I purchased from says this is a warranty issue while the dealer doing the repair says it is not. That's for them to fight out, I'm paying anything for it.

If the discussion here is any indication of the reach of this problem you would assume that a significant number of dealers have customers coming in with this issue. Why they aren't stocking the part is a mystery unless the supplier hasn't redesigned the part of improved the quality of the part itself yet.

Nice!

Now its scratched.

Just leave it off and tell them it flew off on the highway.

a pillar rattle

Had a-pillar rattle and took it in for them to replace clips. Now the rattle has turned into a whistle. What needs to be done now?

I am happy to report that after two trips to the dealer, the A-pillar problem was finally resolved. Other than the dealer having the vehicle all day long for each visit, it was well worth the wait. No more wind noise, but I am going on a 500 mile road trip starting tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Nice!

Now its scratched.

So there is a TSB on this?

Has this been resolved for the MY2012s?

No TSB to fess up to a problem,imagine the cost to replace the part on all that were made. So far I am very disappointed in Ford in addressing this and the many other problems. 2011 owners got screwed with this model year.

No TSB to fess up to a problem,imagine the cost to replace the part on all that were made. So far I am very disappointed in Ford in addressing this and the many other problems. 2011 owners got screwed with this model year.

I'm looking to order a 2012 and am cringing at the fact that the 2013 will have all these issues resolved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suck to be the FORD release Engineer that designed/released these "A" pillars... what were they thinking???:(

Back