• Register Today It's free!

Explorer accident

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
Well last night i got in my first accident. Was turning left and a person in an accord ran a red light and hit my EX at 40mph mid turn. I stepped out of my truck and saw the carnage of his honda, front end crushed to the wheels, coolant spraying everywhere, airbags deployed and horn stuck beeping. I rounded my truck to see the damage to the good old explorer and I couldnt believe what i saw. Not a scratch, dent, scuff or smudge on my EX! I turned around to make sure he actually hit me lol, and yes, he hit my rear wheel SO dead on it didnt even scuff the beige eddie bauer trim! Insane. But she was not without injury. I drove her 3 blocks home and the wheel was at a 90 degree angle while going straight, my rear wheel seemed it could collapse at any minute but she trooped home. After i got her home i examined the impact area, nothing seems to be cracked underneath, just bent. My question is, how much damage could a direct impact at 40mph to my rear wheel do? Do you think my entire rear end is compromised? Frame could be bent? What should I make sure the shop really looks at? It just got flat bedded to the shop and the insurance adjuster should be looking at it very soon. Ugh 2k on her new tranny too......:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could easily bend your rear axle, break the mounts, bend a axle shaft, etc. Can even bend the frame if the impact force goes into the frame. Since it was their fault get it looked at.

. My question is, how much damage could a direct impact at 40mph to my rear wheel do? Do you think my entire rear end is compromised? Frame could be bent? What should I make sure the shop really looks at? It just got flat bedded to the shop and the insurance adjuster should be looking at it very soon. Ugh 2k on her new tranny too......:(
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, your frame could have been bent. Back in 1995, I was broadsided while driving my 1991 GMC Jimmy 4x4. I was hit by a young 19 yr old, knuckleheaded pizza deliver kid who was drag racing his POS 1989 Ford Tempo against one of his pizza co-workers POS car. He hit me doing 60-70 mph directly between the front and rear wheels on my drivers side door. The impact bent my frame inward and totalled out the truck. His POS Ford Tempo was destroyed, front end completely folded up to the windshield, engine and all, and no one was hurt. Most insurance companies will total out a vehicle that has a bent frame. My insurance company at the time was Statefarm and I did good with them on the settlement they gave me for my vehicle. The kid who hit me back then is now a cop in my town. I better watch my speed with him on patrol, but I think he owes me a few "Mulligans" in my book, he nearly killed me that night. Good luck with the insurance company and if they decide to repair your vehicle and it isn't totalled out, don't let them try and use junk yard parts, try and get new, replacement parts out of them. Also, you can have your vehicle repaired at a shop of your choice, not one recommended by the insurance company if they happen to do so.

They could probably still be able to do a pull on it, just depends on the severity.

Here are some pics from my accident a couple months ago. I was going straight downhill when this guy coming towards me turned left into a church parking lot right in front of me. I swerved right and barely missed him but couldn't avoid the Tahoe parked on the shoulder. No one was hurt but when I asked the guy what he was thinking he said he was sorry but couldn't see me bc of the sun glare. As soon as the cops showed up though he changed his story and said I overreacted and he never started his turn :rolleyes:. I told the cops "YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME". They've seen hundreds of accidents and could tell by my tire marks what happened. Anyway, it goes down as an AT FAULT accident on my record cuz there were no witnesses to verify. Cops said I would've been better off if I hit him instead. And my insurance policy was only 32 days old so Geico cancelled me a few weeks later and now my new premium is double what it used to be. Unbelievable.....

2011-09-25101137.jpg

2011-09-25101103.jpg

2011-09-25100412.jpg

2011-09-25100354.jpg

Back