• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I went ahead and pulled my rear panel again and there was no amp found...

I sent a message to Crystal to find out from Ford what the deal was and she forwarded that message on and responded to me that there is no amplifier back there unless you buy a Limited model with the Sony Premium system.....

Even though we have a premium 9 speaker system, power only comes from the head unit, this explains why I have no amp....So, did they change this for 2012, or 2013 or was there never an amp for XLT 202A....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
After the news of, well, I have no amplifier to get my leads off of to connect to a JBL ms-8 (which it would of been so much easier/ right there in the back panel off the OEM amp, and put the ms-8 right back there too).

I decided to pull the dash and find the speaker wires so that I can see what I will be needing to send the signal back to the ms-8 and then back up front to connect to the speaker wires harness....I found that the MFT unit is separate from the radio, (GOOD) and there was the harness holding the speaker wires, straight from the HU to the speakers, no amp...:LOL....So more wires to run than I anticipated...

I took pics of the MFT and HU but I cant seem to figure out to post a darn pic in these posts...LOL

Unsta

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericton, NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
If you're not a premium member you can't post them directly, you'll have to upload them to imagebucket or somewhere else and the post them by URL

snm805619

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
thanks for post hmsracing!

I have the same system as you (xlt 202A), and am thinking about upgrading.

Looking forward to pics.

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
If you're not a premium member you can't post them directly, you'll have to upload them to imagebucket or somewhere else and the post them by URL
Gotcha unsta.....Thanks
I was wondering how u got ur pics up there....when I did a link to a pic from my dropbox it just put the link in post no pic.....lol

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
thanks for post hmsracing!

I have the same system as you (xlt 202A), and am thinking about upgrading.

Looking forward to pics.
Thanks snm, I am planning a JBL ms-8 processor which will drive all speakers except for sub for now (amp addition later) and looking into either a JBL shallow 10 sub and jbl mono amp or a pioneer shallow 10 and pioneer amp in a custom fiberglass enclosure molded behind rear passenger panel. I will be mounting the ms-8 there as well.

I may not yet change factory speakers yet because I wanna see what the Ms -8 does first, if I change it all I won't know what the Ms -8 brings to the table....

willied

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
Gotcha unsta.....Thanks
I was wondering how u got ur pics up there....when I did a link to a pic from my dropbox it just put the link in post no pic.....lol
You have to click on the image button when posting if the link doesn't already have image tags around it; it's above the text box and it looks like a little picture of a mountain. Once you have clicked on it paste the URL in the box that pops up. Hopefully this helps. :D

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I may not yet change factory speakers yet because I wanna see what the Ms -8 does first, if I change it all I won't know what the Ms -8 brings to the table....
Almost ANY aftermarket speaker will be an upgrade and help the MS-8. The MS-8 may help the factory speakers, but the factory drivers themselves will still have their mechanical limits for quality (higher and lower frequencies). No DSP can create crystal clear cymbals when a paper whizzer is used on a driver.

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Almost ANY aftermarket speaker will be an upgrade and help the MS-8. The MS-8 may help the factory speakers, but the factory drivers themselves will still have their mechanical limits for quality (higher and lower frequencies). No DSP can create crystal clear cymbals when a paper whizzer is used on a driver.
Your absolutely right deewan, I guess I didnt explain what I meant very well...LOL
What I mean is I know what the system sounds like now, (not great) and I know new speakers will sound much better even on there own but what I wanna see is a comparison from all of the above....I wanna see what the ms-8 itself will sound in means of alignment and how well it flattens out the OEM bloat and yes im sure i will get some better clarity even from the stock speakers but I know full well that I will not get a great sounding system without the change of OEM speakers. I intend to change them sooner than later but most likely after the sub and ms-8 is installed....

If i replace the speakers and add ms-8 at the same time, I may not fully get the feeling of what the ms-8 has done and what the speakers have added....
So i hear the factory, add the ms-8. wow, what a difference, and then change speakers and wow, awesomeness, well maybe...LOL...just for comparison reasons is all....

But i understand where your coming from, adding DSP and subwoofer and keep crappy speakers......no not intending on that for long...

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
You have to click on the image button when posting if the link doesn't already have image tags around it; it's above the text box and it looks like a little picture of a mountain. Once you have clicked on it paste the URL in the box that pops up. Hopefully this helps. :D
Thanks willied, i will try it out again, maybe from different site...
Does it matter what hosting site I use for pics? I did try the pic link as you explained and i copied link from my drop box photo folder and it just posted the link to the picture but not posted the picture in the post...wow, messy..LOL

willied

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
Thanks willied, i will try it out again, maybe from different site...
Does it matter what hosting site I use for pics? I did try the pic link as you explained and i copied link from my drop box photo folder and it just posted the link to the picture but not posted the picture in the post...wow, messy..LOL
Yeah, I tried posting a picture with Dropbox and it didn't work, either. :thumbdwn: :D I usually just use Photobucket. Make a free account, upload the pictures, and copy and paste the IMG link, or copy the regular link and click on the image button as I described previously.

markcus58

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
I'm coming a bit late to this posting but here is my speaker upgrade so far on my '13 limited with sony system. Ordered Polk db 5.25 replacements from Crutchfield for the rear doors and the generic spacer to position them out from the door similar to the factory setup - the spacer is not quite the same thickness but close enough to clear the inner door workings... Had to drill new mounting point pilot holes and used the factory screws to attach the spacers. Then I cut back some wire shielding and soldered on new leads, taped them up & secured with wire ties. Then I took some thick foam and cut it into a circle to match outer speaker size, cut out the center and siliconed it to the spacer to seal the open space between the speaker ring face and inner door panel. Basically the work is the same for the fronts but I went for the Polk db 6X9's. I left the factory tweeters as they are. There was a noticably improvement in sound quality and definition. I adjusted my audio settings to stereo & neutral positions after listening to a varied selection of tunes. What I did notice what the sub is now a bit weaker sounding due to the effiency of the Polk db's.
I inspected the sub enclosure and figured out how to modify it to accept a 10" replacement & just ordered a Helix DVC 2 ohm. In a couple weeks I'll have that done (after a vacation break) and add to the report.

Last edited:

Ben Diss

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Hudson Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I'm coming a bit late to this posting but here is my speaker upgrade so far on my '13 limited with sony system. Ordered Polk db 5.25 replacements from Crutchfield for the rear doors and the generic spacer to position them out from the door similar to the factory setup - the spacer is not quite the same thickness but close enough to clear the inner door workings... Had to drill new mounting point pilot holes and used the factory screws to attach the spacers. Then I cut back some wire shielding and soldered on new leads, taped them up & secured with wire ties. Then I took some thick foam and cut it into a circle to match outer speaker size, cut out the center and siliconed it to the spacer to seal the open space between the speaker ring face and inner door panel. Basically the work is the same for the fronts but I went for the Polk db 6X9's. I left the factory tweeters as they are. There was a noticably improvement in sound quality and definition. I adjusted my audio settings to stereo & neutral positions after listening to a varied selection of tunes. What I did notice what the sub is now a bit weaker sounding due to the effiency of the Polk db's.
I inspected the sub enclosure and figured out how to modify it to accept a 10" replacement & just ordered a Helix DVC 2 ohm. In a couple weeks I'll have that done (after a vacation break) and add to the report.
Love to see pics of your sub work when you get to that point.

vteckiller2000

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Anyone know why the Sony system clips out so bad? I am a bit pissed about my "premium audio" setup...

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I'm coming a bit late to this posting but here is my speaker upgrade so far on my '13 limited with sony system. Ordered Polk db 5.25 replacements from Crutchfield for the rear doors and the generic spacer to position them out from the door similar to the factory setup - the spacer is not quite the same thickness but close enough to clear the inner door workings...
Good to know Crutchfield has some speaker spacers now. Just over a year ago when I called they had no idea what was even in the 2011+ Explorer. But I have to give them credit, they are normally on top of stuff like that.

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey markcuss,
When you ordered the speakers from Crutchfield did they send the adapters for free? They usually ship the adapters and wire harness with them for free....that way you would not have to cut wires....
I think metra 72-5600 are the ones for the explorer but need to verify that....

Does anyone here know if that is correct of not? I have yet to pull the doors off yet...

markcus58

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Hey markcuss,
When you ordered the speakers from Crutchfield did they send the adapters for free? They usually ship the adapters and wire harness with them for free....that way you would not have to cut wires....
I think metra 72-5600 are the ones for the explorer but need to verify that....

Does anyone here know if that is correct of not? I have yet to pull the doors off yet...
Yes, mounting adapters from Crutchfield were free -universal 6x9 "liftrings" for the front and "Toyota SAP's 2000 & up" adapters for the rear doors. There are no wire harness adapters.

Sub was delivered today but it will be a couple weeks before I get to the installation. I'll submit a report once completed with a photo or 2.

markcus58

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
For those interested---the installation of the Helix 10" DVC 2 ohm sub was a difficult fit. I took a RotoZip tool to the factory enclosure and cut out the 8" mounting flange and trimmed where needed to enlarge it enough to fit in the sub frame. I then trial mounted it and drilled pilot holes on the enclosure face to match the 10" sub mounting holes. Where the enclosure was molded shallow I built that area up with layered plywood pieces to complete the full circle mounting surface for the new sub. This wood was secured with copious amounts of Gorilla glue and anchored with screws until it dried. The final thing was to use double back foam tape to seal the mounting surface irregularities. Thank goodness the wiring was easy cuz the factory sub has the + & - noted so I just connected it up the same. I slid it all back in, bolted it down & reattached the interior trim panel(s).
From the outside it looks stock. As for sound, it is an improvement in both sound level and clarity / kick.
To finish this whole project off I replaced the rear pillar 3.5" speakers with coaxial Polk db's today.
The next few days I'll tinker with the bass, mid, treble and fader settings to find the sweet spot - that'll be fun cuz it sounds pretty darn good now !

MarlonF

Reaction score
City, State
WNY, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ExSport
I'm wondering if any of you guys that replaced your stock sub noticed that only one voice coil is actually recieving power from the amp? Unless something is wrong with my Sony amp. Now i'm thinking I might as well just get an aftermarket amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

danxmanly

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
adding a subwoofer to 9 spkr system...

Just ordered 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the, Ummm... "premium" audio 9 spkr system. I have gone through the thread and summed up this is what I see.

2 speakers in each front door, ( door woofer / pillar tweeter ), Center Channel, 2 spkrs in 2nd row, 2 spkrs in back row. If my math serves me correctly, that's 9 total. ;-)
All powered by amplifier built into the dash head unit.

I know for sure I am going to add a woofer box and amp.. probably JL 10" box and a JL 150 Watt sub amp. Will test that system out for sound quality before I go and add new speakers and higher wattage amp for front doors.

My question is this... is there a dedicated low level sub out on the head unit I can pull from? Or will I need to splice in line level adapters to feed my sub amp?

Vehicle won't be here till November, so I'll continue to research.

Last edited: