• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dog owners

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys. Curious to hear what cargo mat covers everyone is using in their trunks. I have a German Shepherd and I loved having my rubber cargo mat in my cx5 with no worries when my dog would get dirty. I am a bit torn with the explorer because I don't really want to ruin the use of the 3rd row yet I would really like something to prevent the cloth from getting ruined. I'm thinking like a relatively thin rubber mat that could possibly be rolled up if needed. Any suggestions or can anyone share their cargo mats that they have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Husky for all rows including the rear cargo with seats folded down.

download.jpeg

I'm not any help to you. Our entire 2nd and 3rd row is dedicated to our Aussie Shepard/Beagle mix (70 fat pounds). I found on Amazon a really nice quilted cover (rubber backed to stay in place) made to exactly fit the rear of the Explorer ('16), the 2nd row part has zippers so any/all parts of the 2nd row could be raised/lowered, it attaches around the 2nd row headrests. I guess the 3rd row would still be usable by rolling the part of the quilt covering it and placing it on the floor between the 2nd/3rd rows, nothing anchors it in the back except the rubber backing - of course, you'd lose the foot space with that. Of course, we also have a big, memory-foam bed (with a pillow!) taking up a lot of the back, too. Our dog isn't spoiled :)

My wife got a cloth seat cover for the third row in the Explorer when our Golden is back there, but we haven’t really needed it yet, because it’s easier to get her in and out with the third row folded down anyway, and I just vacuum the carpet material to clean it. We’ve been using that instead of a rubber mat moreso in the Escape, because we usually keep her in the back seat in that. I think she got it on Chewy.com?

Regardless, moving our chihuahua is easier. Lol

Like blwnsmoke, I also had the Husky cargo liner in my 2011 Explorer. In my current one I have the OEM Ford cargo liner which is very similar to the Husky with the exception that it has EXPLORER embossed on it. If the 2nd row is folded then I use the more rectangular OEM liner from my previous MKT to cover it.

Peter

Cargo Mat.JPG

P4280234_001.JPG

Husky liner works great. I also use a cargo blanket on top of it so that my 90+lb Lab is comfy.

I got some black rubber backed carpet mats and cut them to fit. I don't have 3rd row seats, so I did one mat for the cargo area and another for the 2nd row seats when folded down that overlaps the cargo mat. I also did a one piece mat that covers the rear cargo area and the 2nd row seats and I just roll a portion of it behind the 2nd row seats when they are in use.

Does that stay in place fairly well? My dog likes to move around a lot in the back so I wonder if it would stay in place nicely for her. I like the idea of this one as well because it would be easy to roll up and I like that it comes out and can protect the back bumper from getting scratched when she jumps up into the trunk.

Thank you everyone else for your suggestions. Looks like the Husky one is a safe bet. Again, I just really wanted something that I could easily remove in case I needed the third row seats. I would imagine those rubber ones(if they're anything like the one I had in my mazda), are pretty rugged and tough and you wouldn't be able to fold it in half to put in the small space behind an upright third row.

The Husky liner came rolled up, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Does that stay in place fairly well? My dog likes to move around a lot in the back so I wonder if it would stay in place nicely for her. I like the idea of this one as well because it would be easy to roll up and I like that it comes out and can protect the back bumper from getting scratched when she jumps up into the trunk.

Thank you everyone else for your suggestions. Looks like the Husky one is a safe bet. Again, I just really wanted something that I could easily remove in case I needed the third row seats. I would imagine those rubber ones(if they're anything like the one I had in my mazda), are pretty rugged and tough and you wouldn't be able to fold it in half to put in the small space behind an upright third row.
Here is a picture of the Ford OEM liner folded.

Peter

Folded mat.JPG

It has velcro on the sides that attach to the carpet. It's just a matter of buying the right size. I bought one that is too big.

It has velcro on the sides that attach to the carpet. It's just a matter of buying the right size. I bought one that is too big.
Oh okay sounds like that would work well. What size would you recommend then? Thanks again!

Back