Explorer gear shift wont go into 1st. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer gear shift wont go into 1st.

Exploder for 2000

Reaction score
City, State
Ammon, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
200o Explorer Sport
Hello All,

I have an automatic 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 98k miles. I just got done replacing every fluid in the car and it runs beautifully. My problem is when I was going through all the gears, the shifter will not let me shift into first. 2nd gear works fine and when i put it into drive there is no issue whatsoever. I physically cannot get it into first with the shifter. I don't know of any other problems with the vehicle and i was just wondering if there is some preventive maintenance I should do so that this does not become a bigger issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,

I have an automatic 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 98k miles. I just got done replacing every fluid in the car and it runs beautifully. My problem is when I was going through all the gears, the shifter will not let me shift into first. 2nd gear works fine and when i put it into drive there is no issue whatsoever. I physically cannot get it into first with the shifter. I don't know of any other problems with the vehicle and i was just wondering if there is some preventive maintenance I should do so that this does not become a bigger issue.
There are 2 torx bolts under the dash that become loose overtime and cause the shifter to become loose and sometimes prevents you from shifting in to first manually

This may help

Hello All,

Did you remove the transmission pan and filter? What engine do you have?

Yea I did. I have the 4.0 ohv.
Did you do something too the linkage inside the trans pan area?
Right filter installed? filter Spacer? Long screw, no spacer.

I uses a 1/2 concrete tub ( home depot $15) put it in a trash bag, no clean up and you can reuse the trans fluid.
After you remove the pan. See if goes into 1st gear( do not start engine) do it with the engine not running.
You did work before fluid change

Back