Explorer Headache. Won't start.

jingalls

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2WD Limited V8 5L
Hello out here. I am in need of some serious help . Im having a
problem starting. When i turn the key the motor or starter wont turn. after clicking the key a few times to try to start, the doors lock and unlock and the lights flash. we replaced the starter and have 12v in from the main power. but none on the other, causing the starter not to crank. the other wire is power and make a large circuit through some other "Stops". my buddy tested a few of the stops but had to leave. my brother swears its the Remote Anti-theft Personality Module. I am trying to find out if i can test other things on this circuit before relacing the $200 RAP willy nillly. THe other problem is i cant seem to find a good document that located all the electrical components. I have the haynes diagram but that just shows the
circuit not the location. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a really long PATS thread on this forum. I think it might be in the "under the hood" section. Try a search and itll give u more info than you need to know.

If it was pats related it would still crank but not start and you would have a rapid blinking theft light.

Does sound like the immobiliser. If you have flashing immobilser light on the dash. Press the button on the fob while key in ignition in the run position. If that don't work try: When the doors lock then unlock that is in effect program mode, make sure no electrics are running inc radio then while key in run position press button on fob. Remove key try again

Back