• Register Today It's free!

Explorer in snow

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Not really a question but more of a comment. I got to test out my Explorer's all wheel drive system this weekend.

Although my Subaru Baja did very well coming home from work the other day in all that slushy snow, I must say that my Explorer AWD seems to go better in the snow than my Subaru does. Probably due to the fact I got Good Year Wranglers on the Explorer and Michelins on the Subaru. I was very pleased with how well it performed.

Here's the difference in tread pattern:

129_0908_12_z+4x4_truck_tire_tech+goodyear_wrangler.jpg

pe2(300).jpg

When it comes to American cars I'm a Ford man but why do people with Mustangs attempt to drive up hills with 6" of snow? This seemed to be the most common abandonded car I saw this weekend.

Notice the red Mustang on the interstate where the snow plow went around him. What a traffic hazzard.

Blizzardof200926.jpg

Here's some pics my wife took.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Blizzard of 2009/

Here's my Explorer all cleaned up. I wish it was that clean right now.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Explorer/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Michelin is a street tread compared to the AT style of the Goodyear. When those POS Goodyears were out throw a set of BFG All Terains on the Explorer and see how it does.

Yes I hate Goodyear tires. I have had two sets (not by choice) and they were worthless.

I have kind of an off topic question but with your AWD, do you ever get a shimmy in your steering wheel when turning left or right at low speeds?

I have kind of an off topic question but with your AWD, do you ever get a shimmy in your steering wheel when turning left or right at low speeds?

Not if your CV's are good, you wont

Not if your CV's are good, you wont

I dont hear any clicking or growling though, just feel a slight to moderate shimmy when turning hard in either direction. Could this be a power steering problem?

No can't say that I have. I sometimes feel the power steering pump stalling when the front wheels are almost locked in either direction but every car I've ever owned with power steering does this.

The only weird noise I hear is a slight clunk with I take my foot off the accelerator as the transmission downshifts around 2000 rpms. I never hear it as the transmission is shifting up, acclerating or taking off from a dead stop.

That makes me think it's a sloppy U-joint but I would think it would be more noticable when taking off from a dead stop than decelerating.

The Michelin is a street tread compared to the AT style of the Goodyear. When those POS Goodyears were out throw a set of BFG All Terains on the Explorer and see how it does.

Yes I hate Goodyear tires. I have had two sets (not by choice) and they were worthless.

Did they wear out too quickly?

Well I can't say that they ride as smooth as Michelins but they seem to have better traction.

I'm not much on Bridgestone tires. My Subaru came with Potenzas and after rotating them they made a terrible noise until I put about 1000 miles on them. They were also noisy below freezing until they warmed up.

I Googled a photo of the BFG All Terains tread design and they look like serious off roading tires. Usually tires that are more geared for off roading tend to be noisier on the street.

How loud are these BG Goodrich tires your talking about? Do they create allot of vibration in the steering system?

My wife drives this vehicle half the time and don't want to put something on it that is going to drive her nuts.

Don't want to sound like a poser or anything but I'm not much into off roading. Usually whenever the ground is covered with snow I'll do some power drifts in my Subaru in behind my garage. Like last winter:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Videos/?action=view&current=DrifitnginaSubaru.flv

my AWD did great in the snow except for the crappy Firestone Destination LE's on my 98.

Did they wear out too quickly?

Well I can't say that they ride as smooth as Michelins but they seem to have better traction.

I'm not much on Bridgestone tires. My Subaru came with Potenzas and after rotating them they made a terrible noise until I put about 1000 miles on them. They were also noisy below freezing until they warmed up.

I Googled a photo of the BFG All Terains tread design and they look like serious off roading tires. Usually tires that are more geared for off roading tend to be noisier on the street.

How loud are these BG Goodrich tires your talking about? Do they create allot of vibration in the steering system?

My wife drives this vehicle half the time and don't want to put something on it that is going to drive her nuts.

Don't want to sound like a poser or anything but I'm not much into off roading. Usually whenever the ground is covered with snow I'll do some power drifts in my Subaru in behind my garage. Like last winter:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Videos/?action=view&current=DrifitnginaSubaru.flv

I run the BFGs on my explorer and Bronco. They hold up very well and I'd say they sound the same as Wranglers on the highway. I've never had luck with the Wranglers I've dealt with in fleet application or on my personal vehicles. On the fleet vehicles each vehicle got at least 1 flat ever 3-5 days. The tread also showed heavy wear with only 10-16k miles on the fleet vehicles. Their off-road and snow worthiness left something to be desired. The fleet vehicles used roads and 2-track dirt roads about 50/50 and got stuck on inclines with as little as 3-4 inches of snow.

So far I've had no problems with my BFGs other than needing to closely monitor my tire pressure as the sidewalls are so thick 15lbs looks nearly the same as 45lbs.

The traction was HORRIBLE. My Mountaineer had brand Goodyear HT's on it when I bought it. HT must have stood for horrible traction.

BFG TA K/O is an awesome tire all around. They are quite, are great in snow. They wear even, and will last for 50,000 miles. Deep mud is the only thing I have found to slow them down.

Highway tires are for the Highway, Mud and snows are for mud and snow, all season tires are a compromise. off road tires and some mud and snows will probably make you crazy on the highway with noise, and vibrations. Harmonic vibrations from the tires. That is my experience anyway. I have a set of mud and snows on my explorer that I just got, that are a little winey at highway speeds but you can go like crazy on snowy roads. I bought it, knowing this. I will put up with the noise knowing I can go almost anywhere. We are about to get a snowstorm starting today, and I will have a blast!

Any tips for driving with AWD ? This is my first, all others have been 4x4.

just take you foot off the throttle when you feel the tires slip... and accelerate a little slower

haha i know i got paid $20 to pull a benz up the hill. oh i live in kingsport also

oh and did you ever take a gander at john b denis there must have been at least 50 cars off up that hill butt my little ex just tuged right up threw all of it dodgeing dodges stuck on the side wink wink

To you guys who pull random people out of the snow...

Do you ever get concerned about damaging the other person's vehicle? I assume you hook up to their frame underneith, such as to a lower control arm, but I'd be worried about the cable/strap/rope coming up and mangling a bumper.

I would never pull from the control arms....EVER !

From the front, I would rather pull a bumper off than rip the front suspension off..lol

If at all possible (which might be rare) the front crossmember has holes on the bottom to get a small strap thru, or if done gingerly a hook into.

Always try to pull from the rear axle if you can.

well i did ask him like 5 times before i pulled him "are you sure you want me to pull you car" and he just says yes i gotta get home. plus thats a nice thing about a tow strap they dont do as much damage at a chain but none the less no damage and he got home and he gave me $20 which i really didnt want but he insisted on my taking so none the less i got a half a take of gas YAY!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back