Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
The Ironman Triathalon is the world’s most challenging endurance event. This fast-growing sport now hosts 28 events worldwide, pitting participants in a grueling 140.6-mile event that comprises a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike race and a 26.2-mile run, all done consecutively and typically in just over eight hours.

07EXPL_IrnMn_42712.jpg

After attending several events, Ford Explorer Marketing Manager Glen Burke saw a correlation between Ford sport utility vehicles and the Ironman participants.

“The strength, endurance, passion and dedication I saw in the contestants echoed the same attributes that are found in Ford sport utility vehicles,” says Burke.

Combining that with the fact that a high percentage of the participants were sport utility owners, Burke saw a perfect opportunity for a tie with the Ford brand, signing a three-year agreement in 2005 to serve as the title sponsor for the Ironman World Championship.

“As we developed this relationship, we decided to generate a buzz vehicle within the Explorer lineup that would not just celebrate the relationship, but embody the spirit of Ironman,” says Burke.

The limited-edition 2007 Ironman Explorer made its debut at the Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Ironman Triathalon the weekend of June 25, 2006.

Just like the triathletes, the Ironman Explorer is unique in its class, with black body-side cladding, rivet-designed wheel lip moldings and a black grille. The Ironman wears its own 18-inch machined-aluminum wheels with painted pockets and P235/65Rx18 A/S outlined white letter tires.

Fog lamps with amber-tinted lenses flank the unique front fascia that features a bold silver bumper embossed with the Ironman logo. A blackout treatment on the headlamps and a black roof rack and crossbars complete the look.

Inside, front-seat occupants are greeted by comfortable two-tone Black-and-Stone 10-way adjustable leather seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The silver center stack bezel adds to the vehicle’s tough image, and easy-to-clean rubber floor mats carry the Ironman logo.

Exterior color choices are a unique-to-Ironman Orange Frost along with Oxford White, Ebony, Redfire and Silver Birch.
The Ironman Explorer will be in dealer showrooms in September 2006.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the black grill much better than the big gaping chrome one. Not sure about the wheels though.

So, copying Isuzu with the "Ironman Edition" Isuzu VehiCross

<--- Rolls eyes...

I like it! It's got an aggressive look to it! :thumbsup:

Dam! I missed the debut by a week. :mad: I was vistiting my sister a week after that up in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho :rolleyes:

my $0.02 ...

At first I found it kind of odd that Ford's line of SUV's all have adventurous names.. Explorer, Escape, Excursion, Expedition .. while half of the owners of these vehicles don't ever saddle a bike, or even do someting as simple as put on some hiking boots.

But now this IronMan edition is just weird -- I mean lets stretch our imaginations here a little: why not a Mars-rover edition? :confused: :D

Mylomeister said:
I like it! It's got an aggressive look to it! :thumbsup:

I agree, it's just a damn shame they didn't make it an FX4 Edition with manual transfer case, optional manual tranny, electric lockers etc... You know a REAL Ironman Explorer.

Sorry, I'm not impressed by the ironman. Its all cosmetics, though I do prefer a black grille to the chrome one. They could have at least put in Bilstein shocks an AT tires. Boo!

I was looking on the Ford web site yesterday. For 2007, the Explorer XLS and its associated sport package is discontinued. Looks like the Explorer lineup is XLT, Eddie Bauer, Limited and Ironman.

I did notice that there were a lot of options for the XLT, so maybe the 2007 XLT is really more like a 2006 XLS.

Bob

If they wan't to make a special edition put some solid axles under the damn thing. :fire:

I just saw one of those parked on the street today. The above pic doesn't do it justice! The one I saw was black, with metallic bolts going around the wheel rims. Looks like 18 inch wheels. I would have taken pictures if I could find the owner. This truck definately turns heads.

If it's just an appearance package, it's a non-starter for me. Why not include things needed by triatheletes? A standard hitch mounted bike rack would do wonders for credibility. Also, include a "plastic" cargo area with attachable, non-sliding boxes for shoes (running/biking), wetsuits, and other assorted gear.

That would do wonders...

Back