Explorer, Jeep or 4 runner?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer, Jeep or 4 runner??

As a disgruntled '11 Explorer owner, I would recommend staying away from the first year of anything from Ford or Chrysler. Not sure why, but they <seem> to have a much harder time getting things right on the first pass compared to the "imports". The '14 Explorer is probably a much better vehicle than mine. One consideration- if you think you will need to haul sheet goods (4'x8') skip the Explorer as the interior is too narrow by about an inch. Amazing design oversight or decision in my opinion, but that is me and my needs.
The Explorer seems to be more "luxury" and "style" than function. Just my opinion and others more familiar with the other models may reasonably disagree. Ford makes no marketing effort to the off-road crowd and has no great history (aside from the aftermarket off-road community) in that market segment, at least compared to Jeep and Toyota both of whom still actively market vehicles for that community.
If depreciation matters, I would look at the numbers for the three- just guessing that the Explorer loses in that category if you go with the LTD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a disgruntled '11 Explorer owner, I would recommend staying away from the first year of anything from Ford or Chrysler. Not sure why, but they <seem> to have a much harder time getting things right on the first pass compared to the "imports". The '14 Explorer is probably a much better vehicle than mine. One consideration- if you think you will need to haul sheet goods (4'x8') skip the Explorer as the interior is too narrow by about an inch. Amazing design oversight or decision in my opinion, but that is me and my needs.
The Explorer seems to be more "luxury" and "style" than function. Just my opinion and others more familiar with the other models may reasonably disagree. Ford makes no marketing effort to the off-road crowd and has no great history (aside from the aftermarket off-road community) in that market segment, at least compared to Jeep and Toyota both of whom still actively market vehicles for that community.
If depreciation matters, I would look at the numbers for the three- just guessing that the Explorer loses in that category if you go with the LTD.
For Toyota, the 4Runner will be the only 'off-roader' left as the FJ Cruiser is being discontinued after the 2014 model year. The off-road market is too small to be profitable. Times have changed.

Peter

As a disgruntled '11 Explorer owner, I would recommend staying away from the first year of anything from Ford or Chrysler. Not sure why, but they <seem> to have a much harder time getting things right on the first pass compared to the "imports".

In the past the imports use to introduce new designs in their domestic market or other parts of the world first. After the first 1 to 3 years of getting the bugs out they would bring them to north America. So the imports new introductions really were more reliable.

I can't haul a 4'x8' sheet in my explorer, it's only a little over 6' to the back of the front seats. A pick up truck is made for hauling wood. FYI at my work a sheet is 1.5'x16' for most of what we use :D

Ford doesn't market to the offroad crowd because they admit the new style of explorers aren't made for offroading. The new GC or 4 runner aren't either, just posers. Really, explorers lost alot of offroad credibility when they got fat and IRS in 2002.
The Raptor, Ram Runner, and Wrangler are all that's left.
Nobody wheels anymore :(

I can't haul a 4'x8' sheet in my explorer, it's only a little over 6' to the back of the front seats. A pick up truck is made for hauling wood. FYI at my work a sheet is 1.5'x16' for most of what we use :D

Ford doesn't market to the offroad crowd because they admit the new style of explorers aren't made for offroading. The new GC or 4 runner aren't either, just posers. Really, explorers lost alot of offroad credibility when they got fat and IRS in 2002.
The 4Runner is still a true off-road vehicle, especially if you get the Trail Edition. Watched one of those car shows on TV and the new Cherokee was doing some pretty serious rock crawling.

Peter

The 4Runner is still a true off-road vehicle, especially if you get the Trail Edition. Watched one of those car shows on TV and the new Cherokee was doing some pretty serious rock crawling.

Peter

I'm sorry Peter but I completely disagree with you. It's "off roady" compared to the new explorers but that's not saying much. They are to big, heavy, and not nearly enough flex. Silly factory traction controls can only help so much.
How do you wheel when it's so big and heavy it gets stuck between 2 trees and slowly sinks into the mud. The Raptor and Ram Runner are also massive, but they are built for the sand. With the suspension to handle whoops.

I'd bet my 2wd open diff Ranger with street tires will make it farther in the woods than the new 4 Runner or GC

Here's an offroad test, 4 runner didn't do so well
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-1301-the-ultimate-factory-4x4-shootout/

I'm sorry Peter but I completely disagree with you. It's "off roady" compared to the new explorers but that's not saying much. They are to big, heavy, and not nearly enough flex. Silly factory traction controls can only help so much.
How do you wheel when it's so big and heavy it gets stuck between 2 trees and slowly sinks into the mud. The Raptor and Ram Runner are also massive, but they are built for the sand. With the suspension to handle whoops.

I'd bet my 2wd open diff Ranger with street tires will make it farther in the woods than the new 4 Runner or GC
I'm talking about the Cherokee, not the GC. As for the 4Runner, it is very off-road capable. I guess there are always varying degrees and opinions on what 'off-road' actually entails. But as indicated, the market for that type of truck is very limited and likely getting smaller year after year.

Peter

If you are tall, Jeeps, Durango's don't have the same leg room.

Buy American!

The GC on paper is a great suv with real 4 wheel drive and is capable of rock crawling. But who the heck is going to take a new pretty GC that costs 40 to 50k rock crawling? The GC is having lots of initial problems as a new introduction and I do not think they will be worked out soon.

The explorer seems to have worked through most of the problems it had since 2011. If off road is designated as trails with some sand or mud spots that will stop a 2 wd vehicle or low clearance vehicle then I see both the EX and GC capable on those trails. Lets face it 98% of use for me and others is on the road.

Today the EX makes more sense for trails to me than the GC, because they are both capable and the EX is more reliable even if the GC has real 4wd. If fiat can fix the GC I will change my opinion. But even if they fix it and I buy a GC I will not be taking it rock crawling.

The GC on paper is a great suv with real 4 wheel drive and is capable of rock crawling. But who the heck is going to take a new pretty GC that costs 40 to 50k rock crawling? The GC is having lots of initial problems as a new introduction and I do not think they will be worked out soon.

The explorer seems to have worked through most of the problems it had since 2011. If off road is designated as trails with some sand or mud spots that will stop a 2 wd vehicle or low clearance vehicle then I see both the EX and GC capable on those trails. Lets face it 98% of use for me and others is on the road.

Today the EX makes more sense for trails to me than the GC, because they are both capable and the EX is more reliable even if the GC has real 4wd. If fiat can fix the GC I will change my opinion. But even if they fix it and I buy a GC I will not be taking it rock crawling.

I don't see the new explorers doing much. Just sit way to low. Good for driving on the beach, or on a dirt road... but that's not saying much.
You're right though, most people are not going to drop $40+thousand on a vehicle and risk tearing it up in the woods. Trails lead to lots of scars :D

I don't see the new explorers doing much. Just sit way to low. Good for driving on the beach, or on a dirt road... but that's not saying much.
You're right though, most people are not going to drop $40+thousand on a vehicle and risk tearing it up in the woods. Trails lead to lots of scars :D

You are correct that the EX is lower than optimal for off road, but if you read the other thread about mpg you probably would agree that for 98% on road driving it is an acceptable compromise. Personally I wish it was a little higher.

The GC has air suspension that will raise the GC for off road. It is one of the major flaws in the car right now and several have had to lemon law the GC for repeated failures that could not be fixed. But I will concede again on paper the GC is the best suv out there.

I've had my Sport now for over a year. It's been solid for me. No complaints. Now that I 'm getting a tune from Livernois it will be even more fun to drive....

I have my 2011 ltd 302a since feb 20 2011 and had very minor issues with the early version of mft, then a little issues with the pcm but they were all taken care of my dealership smith cairns ford in yonkers new york was terrific in getting those little hicups taken care of but all an all i love my explorer now i'm days aways from my 2014 ltd 302 pkg tuxedo blk with the pecan interior. I will miss my 2011 golden bronze she gets tons of compliments...!
So i say to all happy exploring.....

Congrats on the new Explorer!

Back