Explorer, Jeep or 4 runner?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer, Jeep or 4 runner??

cxrob1

Reaction score
My choices are down to an Explorer, Jeep and 4Runner.

I visited the local dealer sat in an explorer and found it to be comfortable and I like the style of it... I still need to test drive it.

Are there any known issues with the late model version I should be aware of?

The dealer told me the 3rd row seat comes standard? Is this true.. I do not need it and would prefer the added space.

I've had several Ford's over the years and dealt with several tranny issues and for the 3 Jeeps I owned all had major issues. Toyota I have never owned but there's alot of support and good reviews on their 4 runner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. Any known issues?? Lol yes there are a ton, you must not have done any searching here. A lot of issues were with the 2011s that ford worked decently at resolving. But I can't say my '13 Sport is problem free, in fact it is very far from it that's why I have spent my whole week car shopping. We are dumping this thing. I have had a '12 Grand Cherokee Overland and it was by far the quietest smoothest most comfortable vehicle we have owned and we traded an LTZ Tahoe in on it if that says anything. My brother drives a '12 Limited 4Runner and I really like it. It's very comfortable and the Limited has the XReas suspension that has active sway control and damping that really improves the ride over the SR5 and Trail. The third row in the Explorer is standard. No ifs ands or buts, it is a crossover for families, not really an athletic two rower. I wouldn't say you lose much space as it folds flat into the floor but I'm sure it has it's shortcomings somewhere. If it were my decision and you were also considering a Jeep (assuming its the Grand Cherokee) and a 4Runner I wouldn't even consider the Explorer. It's no longer a competitor of your other two. The Explorer is more along the lines of a Toyota Highlander. It's like the 4Runner and Grand Cherokee are your apples and then you threw an orange (Explorer) in there.

My choices are down to an Explorer, Jeep and 4Runner.

I visited the local dealer sat in an explorer and found it to be comfortable and I like the style of it... I still need to test drive it.

Are there any known issues with the late model version I should be aware of?

The dealer told me the 3rd row seat comes standard? Is this true.. I do not need it and would prefer the added space.

I've had several Ford's over the years and dealt with several tranny issues and for the 3 Jeeps I owned all had major issues. Toyota I have never owned but there's alot of support and good reviews on their 4 runner.
Welcome to the Forum cxrob1.:wavey:
One difference between the 3 models you listed is that the 4Runner is the only one that does not have a unibody frame. I have a 2011 Explorer Limited and it has been virtually trouble free and would not hesitate getting another when my lease is up. I do really like the new Grand Cherokee but have not driven it. Neither have I driven the 4Runner although I previous had 3 Highlanders. If you're looking for interior space, the 4Runner has the largest overall capacity behind the 1st row with 89.7 cu. ft. The Explorer has 80.9 and the GCherokee has 67.5 cu. ft.
The thing about Toyota is that they always seem to be a few years behind in coming to market with the little 'creature comforts' and latest features.
Good luck.

Peter

I got rid of a 2011 Grand Cherokee for my 13 Sport. the jeep had the Hemi and got 11.5MPG as an average. The Jeep is nice to look at but I hated mine. It rattled more after 1 year than most cars after 15, the transmission had no idea when to shift and was very annoying to drive (I had the 5-spd and you could not pay me to drive a dodge 8-spd tranny), and it was in the shop a lot for stupid things like heated seats not working, wipers not working, radio not working, etc...

The 4-runner is nice but I would definitely advise staying away from Dodge/Jeep. They are junk.

The plain old XLT or Limited Explorer is nice but other SUV's are just as nice. The only way to get an Explorer is to get the Sport. :) It makes driving a big SUV fun.

last jeep I had was a 98 GC 5.9 limited (the last of 6 or 9 jeeps from cj-5's thru cj8's) not sure I'd have another ...

we traded an audi suv in on the 13 Sport and the sport, after 8k miles) is much better than even the audi - wife loves it !

I got rid of a 2011 Grand Cherokee for my 13 Sport. the jeep had the Hemi and got 11.5MPG as an average. The Jeep is nice to look at but I hated mine. It rattled more after 1 year than most cars after 15, the transmission had no idea when to shift and was very annoying to drive (I had the 5-spd and you could not pay me to drive a dodge 8-spd tranny), and it was in the shop a lot for stupid things like heated seats not working, wipers not working, radio not working, etc...

The 4-runner is nice but I would definitely advise staying away from Dodge/Jeep. They are junk.
The plain old XLT or Limited Explorer is nice but other SUV's are just as nice. The only way to get an Explorer is to get the Sport. :) It makes driving a big SUV fun.
I am not a fan of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep but they are currently one of the fastest growers at this time in N. America.

Peter

I was shopping the Jeep GC with the Hemi vs the Explorer Sport. Drove both and liked both. Looks wise I was a little more fond of the Jeep but do really like the looks of the Explorer especially with the Sport's visual differences. Drive wise I wasn't quite as impressed with the Jeep and speed wise more so. I liked the UConnect better than the MFT but I was also more familiar with that system (I've also got a Chrysler 300 with the Hemi). In the end I went with the Sport - it seemed a little more rare, was quicker, tighter suspension, and shouldn't suck gas as much.

We test drove extensively both the 2011 Explorer Limited and 2011 4Runner Limited...both were at the same dealer. The Toy was a few grand more expensive and although we had a great experience with our last Ford (a 2001 Expedition), going into the test drives, I really thought we were going to get the Toyota. I mean, I've loved every older model 4Runner I've ever driven.

As it turned out, the Toyota was extremely disappointing and nothing at all like past models. They always felt very solid, well insulated and like tanks. The 2011 was tinny, had a buzzy sounding engine, and disappointing power. I really couldn't get over how different it felt.

As for the Ford, we loved everything about it....and still do. Have had zero problems, other than the aux cooling fan crapping out which was minor.

As for the Jeep, I agree that the current model looks really great, but I personally cannot get past Chrysler's long-standing history of horrible reliability with the Grand Cherokee. At the point where they finally turn things around and start building a reliable vehicle (like Ford figured out how to do many years ago), only then will I consider ever buying a Grand Cherokee.

Hope that helps,
Tim

The Honda Pilot might be worth a look. They have some of the best deals going right now. I'm not very satisfied with our 2013 XLT, or Fords approach to solving several issues.

the only problem i heard of with the latest explorers is sometimes when you accelerate a little harder you can smell burning oil. but other than that it's probably reliable. i also don't like GM at all really as mentioned earlier reliability can always be an issues with them, i still see plenty 2nd gen. explorers on the road, but not as many durangos. i would recommend ford. some people get unlucky with a bad vehicle but i would say the majority run fine. im trying to convince my dad to trade in his 2011 hyundai for a ford explorer im making progress. :D

JDPower on Ford

I would check the forum for all that you are interested in - just like here you will see what is going on with owners.

The Expedition has received higher marks overall than the Explorer.
Its big ...bigger than you may want...
Ratings and reliability for 2013s just came out.
Overall not bad, but Ford has record sales and quality issues from 2011 still persist, which we see here as a handful of rather horrible issues to have in a newer car, not including any MFT items.
JDPower on Ford
(jdpower)

Chevy had high marks for US auto maker (2013/14) as well as a plant making cars winning an award. (forum)

Honda has good deals allright, but quality is also an issue.
Many report engine hum/vibration in eco mode, moderate overall engine performance when car is full.
2 Honda Pilots(2013) on my street, 1 of them had a leak near the front passenger door, and mismatched paint on rear bumper. So far has been 3 visits to dealer, 1 visit was 2 weeks with Chrysler minivan loaner.

Most of this price points SUVs/big wagons are compared here:
SUV/CROSSOVER COMPARISON (auto site)

Hyundai recently said they cant make cars fast enough...not sure if that's good or bad.
But thats in the US so cant be all bad. (news)
I rode in the 2012 SUV, a 4 cyl, felt nice with 2 people in it, I doubt it will feel that way full. They offer 6 as well.
However, from the news blurb above: they overstated mpg on their cars.
" The EPA found inflated mileage on 13 models from the 2011 through 2013 model years, including Hyundai's Elantra and Tucson. The window sticker mileages were overstated on about one-third of the cars sold by the companies during the three years.
The companies were forced to knock one or two miles per gallon off the window stickers. Some models lost three or four mpg."

Searching for a new SUV, Explorer??

Hi Everyone, :D
Well I'm sure glad I found this place! All this great info so I can make an informed buying decision. Well here goes..

My current ride is a '13 Nissan 370z roadster which is now resting offsite at a storage facility and I've found myself needing a SUV type vehicle for work which will take me into northern Ontario.

I've narrowed down my search to either the Grand Cherokee or the new Explorer and I'm here looking for some insight on the pros and cons of the Ford.

Obviously, the best deals I've found are the 2011s. Is there any difference as the model yrs progress?
Any issues with the '11s I should know about?
Any options that just aren't worth the $$ because of difficulty of use or technical issues?
Anything else?

Sincere thanks!

Hi Everyone, :D
Well I'm sure glad I found this place! All this great info so I can make an informed buying decision. Well here goes..

My current ride is a '13 Nissan 370z roadster which is now resting offsite at a storage facility and I've found myself needing a SUV type vehicle for work which will take me into northern Ontario.

I've narrowed down my search to either the Grand Cherokee or the new Explorer and I'm here looking for some insight on the pros and cons of the Ford.

Obviously, the best deals I've found are the 2011s. Is there any difference as the model yrs progress?
Any issues with the '11s I should know about?
Any options that just aren't worth the $$ because of difficulty of use or technical issues?
Anything else?

Sincere thanks!
Welcome to the Forum KraTToR.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have moved your thread/post to this existing one.
The 2011 was the first of the 5th generation and therefore had a few issues that some but not all members experienced. Some are still there on the 2014 model but it appears to have the fewest problems. You are going to get varying opinions from don't buy a 2011 to its a great vehicle. I fall into the latter group. The best advice I can give you is to scroll through the threads in the 3 different forums here and see what members have posted.
The 2014 model has the heated steering wheel, lane departure warning and auto hi beams. I may have missed a few things but others will jump in I'm sure.
I believe the 2015 will be a somewhat 'refreshed' model but likely won't come out until the Fall.
Have fun. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

The Honda Pilot might be worth a look. They have some of the best deals going right now. I'm not very satisfied with our 2013 XLT, or Fords approach to solving several issues.

The Honda Pilot is worth looking at, especially if you don't care about styling.

Build quality and longevity its a great selection, but the exterior and interior styling, or lack there of, is what kills the success of that vehicle.

Same with Toyota 4Runner, WTF is with the styling on these SUV's.

The new GC is very nicely designed and styled but the fact that it got the OK to sell and then all builds had to sit at the plant waiting for the engineers to reprogram issues with the new 8Speed transmission is somewhat concerning.

It's so new I don't think your going to find any extensive user reviews yet.

There's lots of *****ing on this forum, sometimes I'm one of them too. I owned a 11MY with lots of issues and sold it back to Ford after Lemon Law claim. Bought a 13MY and have had no problems, including no MFT issues after v3.6.2 update.

Take everything on here as someones opinion, not fact.

Drive all of them and choose what you prefer.

Stay away from Ford! The quality has been mediocre at best. They are beautiful vehicles with a lot of features and are very nice and comfortable on test drives. However, the quality is not there, and the features will have glitches or stop working all together (MFT, heated seats, Bluetooth, etc..). The poor quality of build has been shown to present itself quickly (rattles, squeaks, leaks, tranny problems) and the short warranty period -3 years/30,000 miles shows that Ford doesn't believe their products last very long at all.

Ford uses aluminum parts and has known issues with corrosion under the paint.

Unless you want a $30,000 vehicle with major and minor problems and paint coming off in a year or two, stay away!!

Go with the Toyota or another vehicle with a better build and a longer warranty.

Powerhound. You must be one of the really few that has had issues, most people that has had issue with the mft have not taken the time to learn the mft, and the warranty is 36,50,50 look it up toyota has had more recall's than any other in the last few years i have had some issues and ford has always taken care of me. And i have a 2014 ltd on order. The explorer rides very smooth, has tons of features and yes there or some kinks like any other car. Land rover has more electrical issue than any other chrysler tons of issues so if you dont like your ford sell it and by toyota... This is america that great...! READ BELOW THAT DOESNT HAPPEN FOR SELLING JUNK...!

http://fordauthority.com/2013/12/sel...6bd4-363945409

powderhound77, I have a 2011 Ltd and it has been a great vehicle. In fact I had 2 1/2 years left on my '09 Toyota Highlander Ltd lease when I got a friend to take that over and got my Explorer. Haven't regretted it at all. Had two other Highlanders previous to that. Some people who have issues with their vehicle will sometimes put down all the others which usually isn't justified. Ford has taken over top spot in the U.S. and has been number 1 in Canada from 2010 - 2012 (2013 figures not out yet). Explorer sales are up 15%.
Check out this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399266
BTW, my Toyota had the same warranty as Ford does and so do many others.

Peter

Peterk9, i wrote something similar...!

Peterk9, i wrote something similar...!
I tried the link you put in your post but although it pulled up the site, the article wasn't there. It gave an error 404 or something like that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have driven and researched the JGC and the explorer as both can be towed behind a motor home.

Overall the jeep is better on paper imo. jgc has real 4wd

The explorer was new in 2011 and a lot of issues have been worked out.

The JGC is new for 2014 and has a lot of issues. To many to list all here, but the 8 speed tranny mated to the v6, the air suspension, electrical connection combined with the new software are the major issues in my mind as they can make the vehicle undriveable.

take a look at the true delta site for reliability imo.

If jeep ever gets their act together I think the JGC will be a better buy. But I do not want to buy a beta version. Jeep does not have great manufacturing and reliability overall imo. A first or second year version of a new model would be a mistake imo.

Back