• Register Today It's free!

Explorer, meet 4Runner...

liratoad

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ex XLT 4x4,4Rnr Trail
So when my fella and I were shopping for the Ex we were really torn between the Ex and the 4Runner Trail. For several reasons, we opted for the Ex XLT 4x4. Vents all the way to the back, more pleasant ride, rear climate control, MFT (yes, we're one of the four families who actually like it!), FORD and American made, and just generally loved the whole package. But, we just couldn't shake how much we loved the 4Runner Trail as well. So, ummm, we got one yesterday. My husband is in 4x4 heaven!! Sad to see the 2011 5.0 Mustang go. Really, really sad. But unfortunately, it wasn't able to hold our dogs, and really wasn't that great at holding people. Not to mention a pretty severe rear end crash only 4!! days after we bought her...so she never felt quite right again. So, so sad to see the Mustang leave but also really excited about the pretty awesome garage we have at the moment. The KDSS on the 4Runner is actually pretty amazing. We had only previously been able to test drive 4Runners without the KDSS so finding one that had it on board was a big deal. I think we're going to be playing in the woods pretty soon. I'm thinking tandem Ex and 4Runner photos??!!

Jumping up and down!!:D-
Toddy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope you enjoy your new ride and get many years of pleasure from it. You have to buy the vehicle that suits you best. Cheers!

i would have shopped the 4 runner more if it had a 3rd row, they have grown alot on me. plus, a mid 80's model 4 runner is the first vehicle i remember my dad having, it was a 2 door and i think you could remove the rear top.

Pingbling23, the new 4Runner Trail is amazing!! We also wanted a 3rd row and frankly, the one in the Ex is quite a bit more comfortable and more easily accessible than the 4Runner and the Pilot. Recently went out with my husband, his brother and my sister in law, their 2 children (one still in a toddler seat), and my mother and father in law...all crammed into a Honda Pilot...that was NOT a great fit! We also felt that the third row in the 4Runner really ate up the storage room in the rear where as you can still load a lot of gear in the back of the Ex even with the 3rd row up. Honestly, ours spends most of it's time face down as we use that rear area for our dogs. However, we have used it for family transport as well and it is a very nice feature. Didn't need it on the Trail since we have it on the Ex. Really do feel like we got the best of both worlds here, with the KDSS and ruggedness of the Trail and the creature comforts and smooth comfy ride of the unibody Ex!

4runnerwithEx.jpg

So when my fella and I were shopping for the Ex we were really torn between the Ex and the 4Runner Trail. For several reasons, we opted for the Ex XLT 4x4. Vents all the way to the back, more pleasant ride, rear climate control, MFT (yes, we're one of the four families who actually like it!), FORD and American made, and just generally loved the whole package. But, we just couldn't shake how much we loved the 4Runner Trail as well. So, ummm, we got one yesterday. My husband is in 4x4 heaven!! Sad to see the 2011 5.0 Mustang go. Really, really sad. But unfortunately, it wasn't able to hold our dogs, and really wasn't that great at holding people. Not to mention a pretty severe rear end crash only 4!! days after we bought her...so she never felt quite right again. So, so sad to see the Mustang leave but also really excited about the pretty awesome garage we have at the moment. The KDSS on the 4Runner is actually pretty amazing. We had only previously been able to test drive 4Runners without the KDSS so finding one that had it on board was a big deal. I think we're going to be playing in the woods pretty soon. I'm thinking tandem Ex and 4Runner photos??!!

Jumping up and down!!:D-
Toddy
I always liked the look of the 4Runner but never had a chance to actually drive one. As you can see from my signature below, I had 3 Highlanders but everytime the dealer had a 'Runner' on the lot, which wasn't often, it had either already been sold or had just come in and had not been 'prepped' yet. My only concern was how it would feel on the road. The ride in the Explorer is great but I would guess that the 'Runner' would have a stiffer ride.
Great looking vehicles BTW. The Toyota has some good looking rubber on it.
Good luck and happy motoring.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

thats a good looking 4 runner!!!!! i just went to toyota's website and see that they have 3rd row seating, have they had this all along on the new model?

Love the looks of the 4runner!!! When we were first in the market to buy a SUV 2 years ago it was between the explorer and 4runner. I test drove the explorer first and instantly fell in love with the ride. I still liked the looks of the 4runner. I test drove a 4runner a few hours later and the ride was nice but there wasn't much room on the inside like the explorer has. We turned down the 4runner because of the lack of room on the inside. We ended up buying the 2011 Explorer XLT. We just recently traded our explorer in for the 2013 Explorer Sport!!! I love it!!

Congratulations! That is a garage to envy. I struggled with the same decision and went with the Explorer for the same reasons. Too bad the 4Runner wasn't more of what I wanted. Well, maybe less of wwhat I wanted- I don't really "need" an awesome off-road vehicle that can carry seven in comfort on the road.

Enjoy!

Splash a big a crossing and toast a smore for those of us stuck on the roads.

Splash a big a crossing and toast a smore for those of us stuck on the roads.

Randy, it's not a huge crossing, but it sure was a fun puddle!!
DSC_59022.jpg

Back