Explorer-Mustang interchangeable parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer-Mustang interchangeable parts

Marcus Aurelius

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I know mustang parts like wheels can be used on explorers without much modification I believe, other than changing the tire size or atleast recommended. What other parts are interchangable between explorers and mustangs? I believe its alot, if I'm not mistaken, and I thought I've heard members decribe this part interchangeability as the explorer being like a big brother of the mustang because of this relationship.

Please list these interchangeable parts, if it's not too much of a burden: especially if it's more than I think it is. Thanks

-Marc :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the throttle body is im pretty sure, at least if you use the right mustang.

many people use them to finish off a new intake setup.

Nope. The Engine accessories are exclusive to the Explorer.

Explorers are not Mustangs.

Mustangs are not Explorers.

While taking a part or 2 from the Mustang is a GREAT idea, copying the Mustang 100% is NOT a great idea.

Explorers weigh about 1500lbs MORE than a Mustang.

I have Cobra Brakes on my Explorer. But the 5.0L I am putting in my Explorer doesn't share a whole lot of parts that were used in the Mustang. Some parts FIT on the 95 and earlier Mustangs, and they are considered an Upgrade over the Mustang Parts.

The only parts from an Explorer that SHOULD go onto a Mustang is the Heads, Intakes and Throttle Body.

Ryan

good to know, guess i was wrong, i just assumed they were similar since many older ford vehicles are.

thanks for the correction

Is the rear axle or any of the components interchangable?

As long as the Mustang has an 8.8, the diff and ring and pinion are interchangeable.

most mustangs have an 8.8 so it should be fine, at least for the actual diff and housing, but the axle shafts are probly different lengths, idk tho

Explorers have 31 spline axles. Mustangs have 28 spline axles.

Alot less than I percieved from other threads. Mustang engines can be used on explorers, such as in the Saleen XP8's, wheels, etc. Well, thanks anyway for the info.

-Marc :salute:

ya i thought axles would be different, but the diff and diff housing are the same, right?

The ring & pinion would be the same but that's it.

Parts from a Mustang on my Explorer...

I look at the Explorer/Mustang/Ranger as similar brethen under the Ford banner.. That being said I have done and seen done Mustang engines installed in Rangers and Explorers...

I personally have owned 4 Rangers with some variant of Mustang engine in them... When I bought my current project, the first Mustang item used on it was a stock 87-93 fuel pump to replace the varnished one in the tank...

I have also used a 130 amp alternator from a 95 Mustang I had laying around and pulled the coil pack from a 98 V6 Mustang to test for spark when I wasn't sure the Explorer coil pack worked.. I left it in place so far for 4 months...

When you see my Explorer I am obviously using 95 Mustang wheels and the tires are not the normal truck size either but 255-60-16 since this truck sees very little/no offroad although if I did need that capability I could run a 70 series tire without issue...

I look at some of the other items like the power steering pump or the water pump which is a common part for both a Mustang and/or Ranger, depending on engine application and model year...

And don't forget that lots of folks running rear disc brakes are doing so thanks to an Explorer swap into their vehicles.. I did it on all of my Rangers and I know people that used that rear axle to complete the 5 lug conversion in their Fox body Mustangs...

And though I am not running underdrive pullies, I really think a set from a v6 Mustang would fit and work just fine.. Maybe I need to look into that...

Or now that the Explorer uses the 4.6 liter engine, I can set my sights on dropping in a 300 hp Mustang 4.6 in front of the Explorer 6 speed automatic and use a few go-fast goodies from the aftermarket...

This truck is a project after all!!! A project that hauls lumber outta be able to haul a*&, right??? Dang, time to start searching for harnesses and other parts... again....:D

I look at the Explorer/Mustang/Ranger as similar brethen under the Ford banner.. That being said I have done and seen done Mustang engines installed in Rangers and Explorers...

I personally have owned 4 Rangers with some variant of Mustang engine in them... When I bought my current project, the first Mustang item used on it was a stock 87-93 fuel pump to replace the varnished one in the tank...

I have also used a 130 amp alternator from a 95 Mustang I had laying around and pulled the coil pack from a 98 V6 Mustang to test for spark when I wasn't sure the Explorer coil pack worked.. I left it in place so far for 4 months...

When you see my Explorer I am obviously using 95 Mustang wheels and the tires are not the normal truck size either but 255-60-16 since this truck sees very little/no offroad although if I did need that capability I could run a 70 series tire without issue...

I look at some of the other items like the power steering pump or the water pump which is a common part for both a Mustang and/or Ranger, depending on engine application and model year...

And don't forget that lots of folks running rear disc brakes are doing so thanks to an Explorer swap into their vehicles.. I did it on all of my Rangers and I know people that used that rear axle to complete the 5 lug conversion in their Fox body Mustangs...

And though I am not running underdrive pullies, I really think a set from a v6 Mustang would fit and work just fine.. Maybe I need to look into that...

Or now that the Explorer uses the 4.6 liter engine, I can set my sights on dropping in a 300 hp Mustang 4.6 in front of the Explorer 6 speed automatic and use a few go-fast goodies from the aftermarket...

This truck is a project after all!!! A project that hauls lumber outta be able to haul a*&, right??? Dang, time to start searching for harnesses and other parts... again....:D

so the fuel pumps are interchangable regardless of flow rates?? I want to put a BBK in my explorer because the price is not 300 bucks.

I'm wondering if the front springs on 99 gt with fit the 98 mountaineer awd

I'm wondering if the front springs on 99 gt with fit the 98 mountaineer awd
the front suspension on the 2nd gens are a torsion bar setup... to my knowledge, i dont think mustangs had tbats... but dunno...

Even if they were both coils, think of the extreme weight difference.

Even if they were both coils, think of the extreme weight difference.
Considering they both have 5.0 I figured the weight wouldn't affect it much but the suspension is torsion bars on my mountaineer I completely forgot about that I was just inquiring because i have a set of 2" drop coils and want to lower my mountaineer and having a extremely hard time finding a lowering kit for it so torsion bar adjustment is the only way I guess
Even if they were both coils, think of the extreme weight difference

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no worries! we all do that sometimes! unfortunately the only lowering technique im aware of is ceanking down the tbars...

Back