Explorer or QX4?

slpdave

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello Guys and Gals,

In 6 months to a year the wife is getting a new car. We take turns at who get the new car and it is her turn.

my questions is this. Has any of you had any experience with an Infiniti QX4. Being born and raised in the USA I have not had much experience with foreign make auto's. we have had the QX4 (I call it the pathfinder on steroids) for about 4 years. It has been less problematic than my Ex but I have a fear of foreign make cars. They are actually pretty close in specs and the QX4 does drive much nicer.

I have been told the Infiniti's are designed to run 300000 miles with routine maintenace, I don't know if this is true or not.

any way give me your opinions.

I love the Ex, but I could stand the Infinity for a couple of years until I get a big truck.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The QX4 is a great vehicle. My mom has a 2001 that I care of, and I have probably put half the miles on. Its only ever had relatively minor problems (battery, O2 sensor, cylinder coil), but I blame that on the short trips it takes and the time it sits. A friend of mine has a 98 QX4 with nearly 200,000mi on it, and is still running strong with only routine maintenace. By the same token, my 2000 Explorer has been a great vehicle with relatively little problems.
I think it comes down to a matter of a preference... but I wouldn't be affraid of the foreign car. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Will they give you a warrantee for 300K???

BTW......price some common parts.......between an Infinity and USA made vehicle. Alternator, Power steering pump, water pump, radiator, A/c compressor.....etc....

Aloha, Mark

BTW......price some common parts.......between an Infinity and USA made vehicle. Alternator, Power steering pump, water pump, radiator, A/c compressor.....etc....

Aloha, Mark

after having the vehicle for a few years we have had only issues that are minor inconveniences, the big problem I have with it is the timing belt and water pump, seems they are sealed inside the engine and it costed us $600 to get them replaced at the 100000 maintenance. the only difference in the maintenance is the water pump and timing belt swap which is a real bear that I would never attempt to accomplish "in the driveway". I wouldn't mind doing the Ex "in the driveway".

Most of the parts off of a Nissan Pathfinder of the same year will fit the QX4, so parts cost is not much more than the Ex from everything I have priced out of curiosity at the parts store.

what I was looking for was does anyone know of any problems that will creep up with routine maintenance being done.

I checked out some Infinity boards and evidently people who drive Infinitis don't do their own service work.

David

Qx4 :thumbsup:

While its true that Explorer parts are cheaper and perhaps more widely available at local stores, chances are, the QX4 won't need repairs as often as the Explorer (I'm speaking in general terms, there are of course deviations from this). This saves you a few headaches and much valuable time in the long run.

Infiniti's are designed to run 300000 miles with routine maintenace

That is why I asked....

You know? What will, a saleperson say, to make a sale? Now, if I got a warrantee that says 300K. IMHO....that would back up the claim, that the vehicle was designed to run 300K miles with routine maintenance. And, THAT, would truely be IMPRESSIVE.

The other comment......

That was to get you thinking. Though, you seemed to have already done some investigation on parts prices.

For some, there is a sticker shock. When they hear that an alternator cost alot more for a foreign car, than what they used to pay for, a standard American car. I had "sticker shock" when I found out about some Lexus (Toyota) parts.

***Your mileage will vary.

Aloha, Mark

we have had the QX4 (I call it the pathfinder on steroids) for about 4 years. It has been less problematic than my Ex but I have a fear of foreign make cars. They are actually pretty close in specs and the QX4 does drive much nicer.

so parts cost is not much more than the Ex from everything I have priced out of curiosity at the parts store.

I don't get it.

So you're afraid of a foreign vehicle that is:
  • more reliable
  • drives much better
  • will cost less at the parts store, because you won't be there as often
than your american made vehicle?

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just confused. Can you explain that?

1) I have never owned a foreign made car (I come from a ford only family). What I don't now makes me "scared"

2) my wife had a Nissan Maxima before we were married, it had a major meltdown that cost us an arm and a leg to repair just after we were married.

3)The person who told me it was designed to run 300000 miles with routine maintenance was a master mechanic who specialized in Nissan/Infiniti cars and was the retired service manager of a local infiniti dealership working for a mom and pop shop to keep from going nuts.

I am leaning on keeping the Infiniti as an everyday driver. I may keep the Ex if the tradein isn't worth crap and turn it into a big toy.

David

I realise you are not starting a fight, it's called constructive criticism and some people can't handle it. I beleive I can't even spell it.

and it gets people thinking.

David

1) I have never owned a foreign made car

I am leaning on keeping the Infiniti as an everyday driver.

David

Ok, now I'm even more confused. :confused: :p:

I've had plenty of foreign cars/trucks, Toyotas, a Honda and currently an Audi and haven't had any problems with any of them. My Uncle had a late 90's Pathfinder until just last year with no problems. Good luck with whatever you choose. :thumbsup:

OOPS!

I guess if my wife owns it I own it also!!!!

Let me correct.

I have never had a foreign car as an everyday driver.

sorry.

Personally, I've had terrible luck with imports, asian imports to be specific.

Granted they *may* last longer in the long run (I personally don't believe this), they do cost more to begin with. Not to mention that purchase financing interest (if you go that route) is much higher on imports when compared to domestics.

I personally LOVE my '96 Ex. I had the oppertunity to buy a Pathfinder, similar year and similar condition/mileage, for not too much more money, but the Ex was a better feeling driver to me.

I've owned two imports, a '96Corolla and a '91 Jetta, both were less than 3 years old when I purchased them used and both were the most unreliable money pits ever compared to my 2 GM cars, 3 Chryslers and 1 Ford. I know that this doesn't seem to be the norm, but that's my experience.

Parts

Qx4 :thumbsup:

While its true that Explorer parts are cheaper and perhaps more widely available at local stores, chances are, the QX4 won't need repairs as often as the Explorer (I'm speaking in general terms, there are of course deviations from this). This saves you a few headaches and much valuable time in the long run.

That is why I got an ex when I went to work in Labrador. I think everybody over there have ford parts easily available, even the grocery stores.

It is true that Japanese truck have better handling and the parts last longer. By experience with my previous Camry, I know that the parts are hard to find even for dealers. I lost count how many times my dealer had to give me a car because they were waiting for parts over night and it was the biggest Toyota dealer in Montreal region. This would make me think twice about getting a Japanese Truck. Especially, the sales of trucks are quite low where I live compare to the Ford.

I now have a 100k on my Explorer and I don’t want to change it before the rust gets to it.

P.S.: Is there a thread on interiors components rattles. I need to fix a few.Thanks.

my friends 96 infiniti i30 has 251k miles on it, and he drives it like a rally car, and it runs awesome still.

Back