Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

A Sport with a Livernois tune would be quicker than the interceptor. Why would you want to buy the interceptor tune when you could have more horsepower with an aftermarket tune? Just curious.... I drove in the base Interceptor model and in my opinion, my Sport would walk all over it. Except top speed, standard is limited to 120 or so, I believe the Interceptor is limited to 150.

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Sport with a Livernois tune would be quicker than the interceptor. Why would you want to buy the interceptor tune when you could have more horsepower with an aftermarket tune? Just curious.... I drove in the base Interceptor model and in my opinion, my Sport would walk all over it. Except top speed, standard is limited to 120 or so, I believe the Interceptor is limited to 150.

Kevin

Not that I'm in a position to buy either one, but for me, if I were in the market, the Interceptor has the 3.7L n/a motor,so its likely to last longer then the ecoboost motor.It sounds like the RSC and traction control calibration on the Interceptor would better suit my driving style. The Interceptor has heavy duty everything. Best of all, its what it doesn't have. Mininmal infotainment garbage, including NO MFT and no pats/chip keys.

Kevin

First, the Sport is an Ecoboost, totally different monster than the 3.7L NA motor. Second, the Interceptor is damn quick for what it is, still gets good mileage and has a factory warranty, the flashed Explorer will not. Third, the 3.7L Interceptor is limited to 134mph, the Ecoboost I believe will be the same, where as the Sedan ecoboost is limited to 147.

Not that I'm in a position to buy either one, but for me, if I were in the market, the Interceptor has the 3.7L n/a motor,so its likely to last longer then the ecoboost motor.It sounds like the RSC and traction control calibration on the Interceptor would better suit my driving style. The Interceptor has heavy duty everything. Best of all, its what it doesn't have. Mininmal infotainment garbage, including NO MFT and no pats/chip keys.

I respect your opinion, but don't agree with any of your reasoning. But, that's why manufacturers make multiple models.

Kevin

First, the Sport is an Ecoboost, totally different monster than the 3.7L NA motor. Second, the Interceptor is damn quick for what it is, still gets good mileage and has a factory warranty, the flashed Explorer will not. Third, the 3.7L Interceptor is limited to 134mph, the Ecoboost I believe will be the same, where as the Sedan ecoboost is limited to 147.

I was almost positive that I read the ecoboost was limited to 122. You could be right, and I'm not planning on testing it. Not yet at least.

Kevin

Hey troops this might seem like a "dumb" question, but I'm looking at getting a
"sun shade" for the front windshield. They ask for a model, can I just use the "sport" designation? Im guessing that the windshields are standard across the models, PI included. Thanks

Is that what you have? A Sport? If so, that is your model. Your profile doesn't show the model it just says 2013 Explorer. Might be an idea to add the model as well. The windshields are the same on all the models as far as I know.

Peter

I have a 2013 Police Interceptor, they are the same except for the rear view mirror. I''ll update my profile. Cheers

I was almost positive that I read the ecoboost was limited to 122. You could be right, and I'm not planning on testing it. Not yet at least.

Kevin

Yes Kevin, the sport is limited to 122 or 195km/h for us Canadian folks. I may or may not have a first hand experience of this. Of course tuning removes this limitation. I will not divulge where the needle stops, but there are no longer numbers!

So without starting another thread I'd thought I'd post here first?

Thinking on changing the air cleaner in my 2013 Ford PI Explorer with a K&N model, however they don't list the 3.7 engine? would it work for the 3.5? any issues?

Are there 2 filters one for the engine & one for the air inside the SUV?
Thanks

Ya Peter that was big deal for a lot of Police Agencies. The equipment consoles, laptop docking stations, rear prisoner partitions, long gun racks, and pretty much everything from the CVPI doesn't carry over to the new Interceptors and has to be purchased brand new.

Currently there is no Fusion Police package, but thats not to say there wont be in the future.

Big push right now is a F150 pursuit rated Interceptor pickup. Both Dodge and Ford are working hard to be the first. They both have SSV versions but nothing pursuit rated yet.

Its interesting to see the amount of North American Agencies replacing the CVPI with the Interceptor Utility (Explorer) because it handles better then the CVPI and has 2X the storage.

I've seen a few Fusion police cars in New York.

Thinking on changing the air cleaner in my 2013 Ford PI Explorer with a K&N model, however they don't list the 3.7 engine? would it work for the 3.5? any issues?

Thanks

I briefly tried the K&N Filter on the Interceptor 3.7L it fits fine there are no differences in that area.

I sold mine so maybe read the threads on aftermarket air boxes before a purchase. It makes little or no difference.

Engineers who specialize in this area told me they measured air temps, air flow, performance and they found no gains.

But its your call

Thanks, good advice and I'll use it, Cheers

Thanks

Yes there is a cabin air filter. Its behind the glove box. Plenty of tutorials out there on how to change it.

Also I agree the factory air box does the same job other aftermarket ones do.

Thanks, good advice and I'll use it, Cheers

There is, however, a significant sound difference with an aftermarket airbox. I found it louder and under some power bands the drone was annoying.

There is, however, a significant sound difference with an aftermarket airbox. I found it louder and under some power bands the drone was annoying.

Some want the noise lol. IATs are usually higher with these systems. Cold air is a misnomer.

I'm kinda a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy, are there any advantages to the K&N product since it is reusable? What about the K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Air Intake?

BTW what's your opinion on a good aftermarket replacement filter? Hastings or stay with OEM?
Thanks

I wish Ford would offer a column shifter for all the Explorers. I had that on my 2004, and it gave much more room for things in the console area. in 2006, when I got my first one with a floor shifter, I lost a lot of utility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm kinda a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy, are there any advantages to the K&N product since it is reusable? What about the K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Air Intake?

BTW what's your opinion on a good aftermarket replacement filter? Hastings or stay with OEM?
Thanks

I personally would stay away from the High-Flow Perf Air Intake. As stated earlier these kits cause high IATs. There has been much discussion on this subject in the Taurus SHO forums I belong to. Even the Airaid which is supposed to seal against the hood (but doesn't in most cases) draws in hot engine air. The OEM box keeps the temps cooler.

I am not familiar with Hastings filters. For the cabin air filter I would say which filter you get isn't a big deal. Many people ignore the cabin air filter. If you have a used PI I would say chances are high they never changed it.

Back